home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: SUPER BUMMED !! CLARK'S NOT at the TOSS confused smiley
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: October 22, 2017 11:49AM

gmgmtl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> OPGI promised a Corvair catalog early this past
> summer but it hasn't shipped yet.
> GMoore

The OPGI Corvair Catalog has been delayed till early 2018. Understand they have a Buick catalog to put out first, then the Corvair catalog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: October 23, 2017 07:31AM

Why go to a show which costs a lot of money when you can sit at home and wait for the orders to come through you via the web? I've seen a huge amount of this at events in recent years but it is a shame. I think some people call this progress but I just find it a shame.

Date: October 25, 2017 02:41PM

It's true - no one cares about history.

Clarks NEVER attended the toss until we missed it one year. We attended every year since 88 (?) through 2005 or so.

We always brought a LOT of parts (Very close to what we took to national conventions.) and we always sold a lot.

Our contributions to the Corvair parts market in the 70's through the early part of this century are all but forgotten.

The Corvair parts situation is much worse than you realize. Lack of vendor support for events is just one of the victims.

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 26, 2017 05:45AM

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to Corvair parts. As consumers we have enjoyed a good market condition with good availibility and choice of vendors. Hopefully it will continue. The times they are a chaangingg...
We can piss and moan about prices and quality but we have had it pretty good compared to some other cars. You would think the market would be there since they made almost 2 million Corvairs but I suppose there aren't many left and the full on restorations are way down.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 02:33PM

I never considered Clarks not attending the Toss. Everyone I have attended they were there.

Matt, to set the record straight I had just under $2200 in orders from 4 fellow club members who could not attend plus one from myself. All items except one were sheet metal and required air freight charges due to UPS changing their shipping requirements.Furthermore, the quality and/or quantity of what was needed is not available from vendors out here. By combining these orders into one we wanted to reduce the air freight shipping charges.

Junkman, your suggestion makes absolutely no since. I would have to purchase a round trip ticket and rent a car to attend that open house. That would completely negate any savings from free shipping that was available.

All told, there was $7700 that was going to be spent by the few Toss attendees I spoke with. I can count them on one hand.

With OPGI joining the party, this is no time for the other Corvair part vendors to pull back. They are arriving with big financial backing. The likes of Clarks and the others need to stay in the limelight or fade off into the sunset. They is underlying current of young guys and girls getting into the Corvair hobby. The cars they will build for the most part won't be stock. Parts still need the be available, and prices reasonable. I am willing to bet that more people in the classic car hobby have heard of OPGI, then Clarks, Lon's or anyone else peddling Corvair parts. Picture this, 25 year old buys his first Corvair with the plan to make it as cool as his buddies Chevelle. His buddy who has used OPGI is going to steer him that way, not knowing any other parts suppliers exist. Sure they can search the internet for parts suppliers, but OPGI didn't get to where they are with taking out the small guys on the way.

Just my two cents worth.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: ralph65corsa ()
Date: October 26, 2017 02:47PM

"All told, there was $7700 that was going to be spent by the few Toss attendees I spoke with. I can count them on one hand."

Regardless if Clarks was there or not they'll likely get most of that business anywhow.

"With OPGI joining the party, this is no time for the other Corvair part vendors to pull back."

You think OPGI's Corvair parts sales will be so spectacular they will actually make the HUGE investment to attend the Toss?

The Corvair market is not getting bigger and OPGI may not find it as lucrative as they are used to. Time will tell.

Trying to punish Clarks for making sound business decisions to stay in business seems counter-productive to me.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 26, 2017 03:01PM

I really doubt Cal or any of the other venders are loosing any sleep over OPGI, you people are in for a rude awakening when their Corvair catalog comes outeye rolling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: October 26, 2017 04:15PM

Truer words were never spoken - Mel! The OPG situation is a mystery to me.

Lon Wall

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Date: October 26, 2017 08:23PM

ralph65corsa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "All told, there was $7700 that was going to be
> spent by the few Toss attendees I spoke with. I
> can count them on one hand."
>
> Regardless if Clarks was there or not they'll
> likely get most of that business anywhow.
>
> "With OPGI joining the party, this is no time for
> the other Corvair part vendors to pull back."
>
> You think OPGI's Corvair parts sales will be so
> spectacular they will actually make the HUGE
> investment to attend the Toss?
>
> The Corvair market is not getting bigger and OPGI
> may not find it as lucrative as they are used to.
> Time will tell.
>
> Trying to punish Clarks for making sound business
> decisions to stay in business seems
> counter-productive to me.

Do you truly think that OPGI is willing to make the investment they are making without doing careful research into the market. They certainly aren't doing this on a whim.Do I think they will put Clarks out of business,absolutely not,but they will hurt them.Will I continue to support Clarks, you bet.

Everyone or just about everyone in our age group has concerns about where the classic car hobby will be when we are gone. What will happen to the cars we Own? Do we sell them to the next generation, or the one before that, or the one before that and so on. Do we pass them down to our kids or grandchildren? One thing is for certain,once we relinquish ownership,it's theirs to do as they please. These younger generations have much different buying habits than we do. Techniques that worked with us no longer transfer to the younger generations.The point I tried to make in my last post is that a young guy or gal who has just purchased a Corvair may turn to their peers who just spent a large amount of $$$ on their Camaro with OPGI for advice as the where to get parts. Companies that are out of site, our of mine tend to loss a large percentage of the dollars out there. When a company takes the attitude, hell I'm not doing that swap meet this year, because I made no money last year their asking for a down turn in business. It should never be about the money I make, what it should be, is about the relationships I develope that will drive the money I make.

No one is trying to punish Clarks for making " sound business decisions to stay in business ". But if one round trip flight to Palm Springs determines whether they stay in business or not, then there is a much bigger underlying problem. How many companies attending SEMA make a killing while they are there? Not many, if any. They are there to introduce new products and greet their customer base. The money is made later on down the road by their mere presence at the event. When a company pulls back, it always leaves a void for another to step in.

Do I think OPGI will make the HUGE investment to attend the Toss? Well, it's not that big of an investment being a couple of hours drive time away. They don't have to pack the the whole warehouse. One person, one table, one chair, one computer and a box of catalogs gets the job done. It's about presence and relationship building. Furthermore they have market share to capture.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 26, 2017 11:09PM

"Do I think OPGI will make the HUGE investment to attend the Toss? Well, it's not that big of an investment being a couple of hours drive time away. They don't have to pack the the whole warehouse. One person, one table, one chair, one computer and a box of catalogs gets the job done. It's about presence and relationship building. Furthermore they have market share to capture."

I am not a business owner, but all of that makes sense to me.
If OPGI is investing in the Corvair Market, don't you guys think that they are watching that market?
Just as Lon, and Clark's both monitor what is going on here on the forum, I think you would have to be pretty naive to believe that OPGI does not already have a lurker on board here amongst us!
If they are putting out a Corvair catalog, it will be pretty short order before they start attending the bigger Corvair events.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 27, 2017 05:38AM

Just a outsider looking in on this. I am not trying to upset anyone, just bring a little reason into the discission. If the purchase of the sheet metal parts will be $7700, then shipping costs probably will be in the neighborhood of 300 - 500. You want the parts, but you want Clark's to foot the bill for the shipping. To me that is not right, Have you asked all the other vendors you use to pay for the shipping.

Free shipping always gets put into the price of the parts. Clark's could increase the cost of the parts to cover shipping, but then it couldn't stay in business because parts cost would keep the parts from selling. I would work with Clark's and see what they could do to help in making the best decisions for the shipping involved. You probably would be surprised what a phone call and giving them the parts list would do.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 27, 2017 08:52AM

For the last several years Clark's has been selling at SpringFest in Helen every other year on even years. I probably buy things from them at the show that I wouldn't order but for the most part if I need something I'll go ahead and get it from one of the vendors, never had a problem with any of them. I like having them come to the shows but they are trying to make a living and I encourage them to do what they need to so they can stay in business so they'll have parts when I need them. Thanks to all vendors.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: ralph65corsa ()
Date: October 27, 2017 01:09PM

Do you truly think that OPGI is willing to make the investment they are making without doing careful research into the market. They certainly aren't doing this on a whim.Do I think they will put Clarks out of business,absolutely not,but they will hurt them.Will I continue to support Clarks, you bet."

OPGI is simply creating another catalog (same in-line process as their other catalogs they print annually) showing the items they already have that cross over to Corvairs. It's a pretty low cost investment for them.
My guess is business is slowing for them in the old car parts market and they are simply looking to expand into other similar markets without spending much to do so. I highly doubt they will have the depth of parts, working knowledge and stocking items to threaten any Corvair vendor.

"It should never be about the money"

Obviously you're not a business owner because with that attitude you'd be outta business soon. You can't pay leases, employee costs, electrical, phones, internet, inventory, freight, state, city, county & federal taxes with friendships.

"Do I think OPGI will make the HUGE investment to attend the Toss? Well, it's not that big of an investment being a couple of hours drive time away"

Really? Employees time to gather and load products, transportation there and back, empoloyee costs to unload, sit there all day, reload and drive back. Then unloading again to restock the store. Also the expense to attend and rent selling spaces. I ain't about hoping you sell enough at swap meet prices and competing against hobbyist with no overhead. It's about losing money!
Can you imagine if you had to pay the bill for OPGI to attend the Toss?
I bet your response wouldn't be the same.

Comparing the Toss to the SEMA show is laughable.

I welcome OPGI's enterance into our hobby, however, I agree with Mel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 01:16PM by ralph65corsa.

Date: October 27, 2017 08:55PM

OPGI is simply creating another catalog (same in-line process as their other catalogs they print annually) showing the items they already have that cross over to Corvairs. It's a pretty low cost investment for them.
My guess is business is slowing for them in the old car parts market and they are simply looking to expand into other similar markets without spending much to do so. I highly doubt they will have the depth of parts, working knowledge and stocking items to threaten any Corvair vendor.

I can tell by your statements here that you did not attend the banquet at the Toss, did you? OPGI was gracious enough to the send the gentlemen who is spear heading the Corvair catalog to speak at the banquet.He spoke for about 45 minutes. Quick summary: 8,000 parts in the catalog already, producing their own interiors through current vendors already disecting an E/M to look into producing sheet metal,producing knobs and other hard items through current vendors they use.Now does this sound like a low cost Investment to you? A Threat? Yes a threat, they are coming to play hard ball.

Obviously you're not a business owner because with that attitude you'd be outta business soon. You can't pay leases, employee costs, electrical, phones, internet, inventory, freight, state, city, county & federal taxes with friendships.

Your preaching to the choir here. 3 successful businesses grown and sold. A fourth one on the way to success. 42 years of sales and marketing, 27 of which were in the auto and aircraft parts Industry. It is clear you miss understood the point. If as a vendor the only reason you support a show/swap meet in the area of your choosen expertise is to solely make money and when you don't you stay home and pout, then that's the company that needs an attitude adjustment. You may lose money, break even or make some at an event like this. Once again, what is more important is the face to face time spent between the vendor and client or potential client.case in point, I attended my first Toss 4 years ago and didn't know Seth from a hole in the ground having just got into Corvairs. Seth was gracious enough to take the time to answer questions I had and point me in the right direction on my build. Since that day I have made it a point to buy something from Seth every year since at the Toss. Furthermore I have convinced 3 fellow club members to buy his products also, which they have. I support Seth because he supports the Toss whether he makes bank or not.Spent time at the Toss with Roger Parent and Paul Keller. Purchase and use their parts and services, as does many of our club members.Business through relationships formed, means money in the bank.I purchased parts from Clarks the past 3 years I have attended to support them for supporting the Toss. In business their is always give and take
environment.

Really? Employees time to gather and load products, transportation there and back, empoloyee costs to unload, sit there all day, reload and drive back. Then unloading again to restock the store. Also the expense to attend and rent selling spaces. I ain't about hoping you sell enough at swap meet prices and competing against hobbyist with no overhead. It's about losing money!
Can you imagine if you had to pay the bill for OPGI to attend the Toss?
I bet your response wouldn't be the same.

Why on earth would you even attempt to pack and ship the whole dam warehouse to an event. All it takes to have a presences, is one repersentive of your company, a sign, a canopy, a chair, a table, catalogs and a method of taking payments on orders placed at the event. Case in point,Seth, he brings a few products, sets up low key, and supports the event.No special fanfare, no $10,000 budget needed to attend. You seem to be confused about you and I selling our used parts at a swap meet to make money and a vendor supporting a swap meet to have a presence and build their customer base whether they make money or not at the event. The money comes after the event for the presence and the relationship that was made while at the event. Everyone of us on this board has spent money with one or more vendors, have you ever stopped to ask yourself why you purchased that item from vendor A instead of vendor B. Was it because you liked that vendor more than the other. Did the vendor B give you bad service,did you not know vendor B carried that part? Each senirio involves a relationship or not. Businesses survive on relationships.

Comparing the Toss to the SEMA show is laughable.

For the vendors that do attend it is no different than SEMA. Their there to promote their wares just like vendors at SEMA. Only on a much smaller scale.

Just a outsider looking in on this. I am not trying to upset anyone, just bring a little reason into the discission. If the purchase of the sheet metal parts will be $7700, then shipping costs probably will be in the neighborhood of 300 - 500. You want the parts, but you want Clark's to foot the bill for the shipping. To me that is not right, Have you asked all the other vendors you use to pay for the shipping.

Free shipping always gets put into the price of the parts. Clark's could increase the cost of the parts to cover shipping, but then it couldn't stay in business because parts cost would keep the parts from selling. I would work with Clark's and see what they could do to help in making the best decisions for the shipping involved. You probably would be surprised what a phone call and giving them the parts list would do.

Al Lane

Clarks was not offering free shipping, don't have a clue where you got that at. In the past they offered 10% off on parts if paid with cash and 25% off on shipping. Now this is them offering this deal to the buying public. Would you not take advantage of that offer if it was presented to You? You bet your ... you would and so would everyone else. How many of you here on this board have waited until the Christmas sale on Craftsman tools before buying them. Would it not be safe to say just about all of you.

The four people I was going to purchase parts for are on there own to purchase parts where and when they please. My order to Clarks goes in tomorrow. As for the others they will do the same.

And AL, not mad,just trying to prove a point.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 27, 2017 11:14PM

Not seeing as you mad but explaining your points. My apology on misreading the original post. All of us look for best deals on parts and tools.

Being down here in the southeast, shipping affects me as well along with some companies adding 7% sales tax. I wish there were more Vair vendors, but I work the Internet to find all sellers of what I need then place with best deal. Typically only 2 or 3 vendors have my needed Vair part. And yes typically only Clark's has the unique parts. Now with the Camaro, I have about 9 vendors to compare. Camaro vendors have numerous sales to take advantage of. Don't typically see sales on Vair parts except from Lon.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.