home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wiring Diagram Problem
Posted by: jimrob ()
Date: October 16, 2017 05:30PM

Every 1964 Monza wiring diagram that I can find shows the wiring connector in the engine compartment to have two rows of five connectors. In mi '64 Monza the connector has two rows of four connectors. As a result the wiring in my car is not like the wiring diagrams all show. So, I need help from some folks. Also, this car has been converted from generator to alternator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wiring Diagram Problem
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 16, 2017 05:39PM

That's most likely listed in our FAQ's "Manual errors"

Just follow the color code....and make your own drawing of the plug!

I've done that for all harness plugs for my cars..with written circuit name..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 16, 2017 05:57PM

Matt,
My problem is this, I have replaced the tail lights, both of them, and the wire colors do not match the colors shown on the wiring diagrams or the colors on my car. In other words, I don't know what color wire is the left side tail light wire and what color wire is the left side stop light wire. I don't know what color wire is the right side tail light and what color wire is the right side stop light wire. Lucky for me, I haven't touched the backup lights wiring or the tag light wiring.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 16, 2017 06:23PM

Get out the Voltmeter or Test light!!

Tag and Tail / marker lights are all on the same circuit.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Two2brew ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:46PM

64 models have a 2 row connector with 5 spaces for wires in each row. Not all of the positions are used. One of the contacts on the end of the connector is a dark green wire to a temperature sensor for the 600 MODEL ONLY and there is an unused slot adjacent to it.. The contact on the end with the large red 10 gauge wire has a habit of melting the connector and the fix is to bypass the connector and splice the wire. If the red wire melted the connector it is likely the person that repaired it spliced the red wire and replace the connector with and 8 way connector.

The tail light wire should be a brown wire that goes from the connector, to the left tail light then to the license plate light and from there a black wire to the right tail light.

If you could post pictures it should not be hard to figure it out.

Lyle Whitsett
San Diego, CA
64 Monza convertible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 10:48PM by Two2brew.

Posted by: Two2brew ()
Date: October 16, 2017 11:00PM

From Corvair Underground catalog.

Lyle Whitsett
San Diego, CA
64 Monza convertible

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 18, 2017 06:55AM

I just had to chase down RR turn/brake trouble in a 62 Van. Luckily there was power to the main multi-connector on the left frame rail so I was able to trace from there back. I didn't even look at the diagram in that case but certainly use them when needed and find discepancies sometimes. This one went from purple to blue and back to purple when I unraveled the modified harness.
It helps that the left and right tail circuit are the same color and the left and right back-up are the same color, in fact the wire flows in and out of the left one so to speak.

When I do generator to alternator conversions I do my splicing within the harness and may not use the same color wire. I usually make a diagram like Matt said.

I can't speak to the 8 vs 10 position multi-connector difference but you can probably sort it out with a pointy tester. If I'm going to be a while I like to remove the Coil + to avoid current through the points or ignition in general.

A lot can happen to wiring in 50 years like someone replacing a 64 harness with a 62 because they had one.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: October 18, 2017 12:16PM

Here is a diagram I drew, based on my Corvair manuals. I understand that they used an 8-Pin connector on 1960 thru 1963 models. The 10-Pin connector is indicated as "1964 and Turbo models" (the lower LEFT Pin has no wire connected, the lower RIGHT Pin is for the Turbo Thermistor).

I hope this helps.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Attachments:
Date: October 19, 2017 05:13PM

Dale,
I believe what you sent will help me more than anything else. Apparently my car has the 1963 wiring instead of the '64 that it should have. I am going to try connecting the taillights as your drawing shows tomorrow and see if that works. Thanks a bunch for the sketch.

Date: October 19, 2017 05:18PM

Lyle,
My Connector had the 10 gauge red wire in the lower #1 position of the block and it was severely corroded. So I did as the suggestion and spliced the wires outside the block.

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: October 19, 2017 06:02PM

In my diagram the "TOP" of the connector (as drawn) has a wire from the left pin going to the Voltage Regulator. The right pin is the main plus 12 Volt wire.

Up and Down are confusing because the connector is "floating" and can be turned in any direction!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: October 27, 2017 09:31AM

Through a lot of trial and error, and a turn signal device that gave me headaches, I finally determined the correct wiring for my '64 Monza with the 8 conductor connector in the engine area. Attached is the wiring diagram if anyone else can use it.
Sorry, now I realize my file is too big. I will try later to reduce it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.