home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Overheated, now what?
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: October 11, 2017 05:06PM

Hi gang, last week I let a friend borrow one of my Corvairs (possible mistake). He drove it 7 miles in to town, no problems. On his return drive he made it 6 1/2 miles then had to pull over because the car stopped running. He couldn't get it restarted, so he called me from the top of my subdivision. I went to check and found the belt had come off. No warning light came on in the dash. So it seemed he drove it unknowingly until the car just stopped (absolute definite mistake!). We pushed the car home and literally 20 minutes later I had to leave for a business trip, just got back today, so I haven't touched the car yet.

I've not faced this before so I need help to know what I have to do or check to determine how bad the situation is. 140 engine. Manual 4-speed. Was running very strong when it left my garage. Coming from town he would have driven 5 miles of 40 MPH in-town stop and go. Then 1 1/2 miles of 55 MPH state highway to my subdivision. Not sure when the belt came off.

Where do I start here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overheated, now what?
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: October 11, 2017 05:16PM

Does it crank evenly? Will it crank at all? Might be time for compression and leak down testing.

Lee J

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: October 11, 2017 05:21PM

Thomas, Did it die because the battery went dead? Did it not start because it wouldn't crank over, or because it cranks but wouldn't fire? Do the warning lights come on now? Put a new belt on, get it started and see how it sounds. You'll have to eventually and you have nothing to loose.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: October 11, 2017 05:22PM

I am no expert but first thing I would do is put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and see if it is stuck or will turn over. If it seems to be free then I would try to start it. If it starts and runs then I would do the checks mentioned by Lee and then have to consider the results.

Gregb

61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 11, 2017 07:19PM

Turn the key to the on position, and if the lights illuminate, then in all probability, they came on, and he didn't notice. I don't remember if the 140 has the overheat warning buzzer like the Spyders do, but if it does, and the engine got hot, the buzzer would have sounded. I know of an owner that overheated his 140, and the damage wasn't immediate, but it wasn't long after that occurred, that it dropped a valve seat. Hard to know what if any damage might have been caused. If it starts, do a compression and leak down test, and cross your fingers, that it is ok in the future.

Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: October 13, 2017 07:17PM

Sorry for the delay in my response, I was away from home again the past day and a half. However, now that I'm back home I have a couple pieces of new info:

1. I was able to turn the engine over pretty easily with a wrench.
2. I turned the key to the ON position and noted that the Temp/Press light only came on at the bottom of the Tachometer. The GEN/FAN light did not come on at the bottom of the speedometer. However, if I turn the key counterclockwise to the accessories position it's the opposite, the GEN/FAN light comes on, but the Temp/Press light does not.

I suspected this is not as it should be so I did what every good Corvair owner should do, I walked over to another Corvair and did the same test. (Everyone should have a spare Corvair around, right?) This is when it got weird. I turned the key to ON and only the Temp/Press light came on, but this time that was on the bottom of the speedometer, not the tachometer. Then I turned the key counterclockwise to accessories. No lights came on. So the GEN/FAN light does not come on with the key for either my '65 Corsa coupe nor my '66 Monza-with-a-Corsa-dash convertible.

I didn't try cranking the engine just yet as I wanted to discover the proper warning light configuration since that was bugging me AND I plan on driving my convertible around tomorrow, but don't want to if its GEN/FAN light is messed up.

What's the proper way these lights are supposed to work and how should the wiring be connected?

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: October 13, 2017 07:43PM

I just went out and checked my '65 Corsa. Lights function as follows:

Key in ACC position: GEN/FAN light very dim (easy to miss in daylight)
TEMP/PRESS light off

Key in ON position: GEN/FAN light bright
TEMP/PRESS light bright

Every Corsa I have owned or driven functioned this way, with the Speedometer housing the GEN/FAN light and the Tachometer housing the TEMP/PRESS light.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 07:45PM by Spectre.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 13, 2017 07:53PM

The car where the light does not illuminate in either position... Bad Bulb / bulb out of socket... or no power to bulb..

The other car.... Oil pressure switch is defective....or wiring is broken / open circuit.

Funny that you just discovered this.... those lights should always be looked at when starting!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: October 13, 2017 08:37PM

After reading this I had to go out and check my 65 Corsa and it works exactly as David describes his so you must have a problem with both of yours.

Gregb

61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 14, 2017 06:24AM

My wife had the fan belt come off on a 110, she was oblivious to the light and didn't pull over until it lost power. We drove it a few more years and never did have engine failure.
Overheated heads have more of a propensity to lose valve seats and such. I can't imagine it does the piston skirts much good.
I can't think of anything a guy could do with the engine but give it a try.

From what I understand, the Generator light always has positive to the bulb when the key is on. It gets negative from the charging system to complete the circuit and light the bulb until the system starts charging which then feeds positive current, two positives won't run the light and it goes out.
I find sometimes that the new solid state regulators will not run the light, other times they are just fine.
There's a resistor in the wiring somehow which I can't explain at the moment, but I searched out the wiring on this site when wiring a tail light for a warning system on an airboat.
With faulty Temp/Pres light I check the oil pressure sender first. With faulty Gen/Fan light I check the bulb first.
If the labeling on your lenses are switched around somehow, you can tell oil pressure because it goes out when the engine is turning over without starting like when you disconnect the coil.
In your situation, I would ground the wire to the oil pressure sender and see if the Gen light comes on. Maybe someone had the instrument panel apart and switched the lenses.
I have never noticed where the lights are located. I have never noticed what the lights do in the Accessory position.
I must admit that I work with electrics without having a good understanding even though my buddy Fran Schmit tries to teach me.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
Corvairrepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 14, 2017 09:00PM

The bulb sockets have been reversed. That is my opinion on the matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.