home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bell Housing to Case Bolts: Sealer or Not
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: October 10, 2017 06:54AM

Regarding the bell-housing bolts to case, is this the general agreement, nowadays?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 10, 2011 05:15AM

Thread sealer on the bottom most two, anti-seize on the rest. Sealer for sure on the flywheel to crank bolts. As insurance run a SMALL bead where the crank hub meets the crank (on the circle where the key is)

Does the term "thread sealer" mean a "thread locker" like Loctite? If so, what color?

Thank you.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bell Housing to Case Bolts: Sealer or Not
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 10, 2017 12:32PM

Thread sealer is more like Permatex High Tack.

I just use anti-seize on belhousing to block bolts. Others may have other issues with oil leaking, let them chime in.

Thread locker type sealers will require more force or heat (depends on strength of locktight) so I only use them where lock washers or other details can not be used.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Bell Housing to Case Bolts: Sealer or Not
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: October 10, 2017 01:43PM

Thank you, Frank.

While we're on the subject of bell-housing bolts: I received last week a set of bell-housing-to-case bolts from Clark's. That's why all the questions I've been presenting.

Following Clark's instructions, the two long bolts go in holes #1 and 2; two short bolts go into holes #3 and 4--none with washers. Washers on the other five bolts, though.

Well, guess what? The two long bolts are too long for holes #1 and 2. I looked around the forum and found a statement sort of like: "Clark's instructions are wrong. The two long bolts go into holes #3 and 4.

"That's odd," I thought out loud.

I tried that and guess what? The two long bolts don't screw all the way into those two holes, either.

Well, here's what I discovered. If you're using your original bolts, the instructions are correct. And I'm guessing that if Clark's set contained bolts duplicating the originals, those instructions would work.

Fortunately, just today, I found my original bolts and the long ones fit properly into holes #1 and 2. Of course, all the others will fit properly, too.

Take a look at the image and you can see how much longer the bolts in Clark's set are. Sure, holes #3 and 4 in the case are through drilled, but the drilling machine didn't finish the job. It didn't need to because short bolts go there. The shank on the longer bolt might even cause a problem.

Thank you.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.