home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Padded dashes... Do they indent or divot?
Posted by: radicalbuff ()
Date: October 09, 2017 09:25AM

Padded dashes.... Do they indent or divot if they are bumped with something? or are they pretty sturdy?

Trying to decide if I should paint it instead.

"Bucket List Project Manager!"
Deb ... Riverton, Utah

My 64 Corvair Blog [radicalbuff.wordpress.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Padded dashes... Do they indent or divot?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:15AM

Sturdy... only worry about rips...

If you paint dashboard... use a semigloss paint.... glare!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:39AM

I would go satin on the pad and flat on any exposed metal.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:41AM

The only downside to the padded dashes, is gluing them in place. It is best to do it when the windshield is out of the car. On one of my cars, I didn't glue it in place, and it lifted at the windshield. Not certain if it will lay down flat if I were to try to glue is now.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 09, 2017 12:54PM

The holes around the speaker area for the padded dash option should be filled if just painting. Otherwise, for me anyway, the dash looks like the accessory is missing. Kinda like only 3 wheel covers!confused smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: October 09, 2017 03:25PM

I'm amazed at how well the padded dash covers have held up.
My 1962 Monza pad, though somewhat aged, still has no cracks or other defects.
I've had much more modern units crack like crazy in just a few years time.
It's usually the sun that damages the plastics.
My 1965 Riviera also has a great looking padded dash panel - factory original and still looks fine after 52 years!
Wish I held up so well!

If you are talking Painting your padded dash, use a quality "vinyl Dye" (flexible paint) such as SEM. Regular paint will not hold up on a vinyl surface over time.

I'd go with "flat" paint on the top of the dash. You don't need the reflections onto the glass while driving...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 09, 2017 03:41PM

I appreciate the comments, smiling smiley

We ordered one from clarks a few months ago but it is on back-order still. My windshield is still out, but we are anxious to take it out for a ride and get it registered. There are probably only a few good warm enough days left this year.(convertible) and we are so close to having it done. Dash, windshield visors and wipers left. So we are tempted to just paint it or try to put the dash in with the windshield in.

Has anyone tried to put vinyl on the dash and add their own padding underneath?

I might start a new thread with this question on it. Hmmmm think I will start a new thread.

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: October 09, 2017 07:40PM

There are now some extraordinarily flexible thin vinyls available.
Might just be possible to spray coat the underside with 3M spray Hi-strength adhesive, (contact cement) and then spray some 1/2 inch flexible foam and bond the two. Then, starting with the flat area up by the windshield, glue the above covering and work it as you go. Might just work....
Could try it without glue first on the most challenging sections to see if it is at all possible.

Good Luck!

Might try to find a clever way of wrapping the edge of the windshield with split foam and setting it in place with some caulking so that you can drive the car, then easily(?) remove the windshield.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 09, 2017 07:53PM

Hmmmmmmmm.............. You may have something there.

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: October 09, 2017 09:28PM

radicalbuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmmmmmm.............. You may have something
> there.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let's just hope I can take something for it!! smoking smiley

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: October 10, 2017 03:27AM

Lessons learned from installing a Clarks padded dash in a 64 convertible 6 years ago using the contact adhesive:

Read and follow the directions VERY carefully!

Practice it several times before gluing it down.

The trick is to use dowels or wooden paint stirrers between the glued dash and the dashboard so that you don't accidently "stick" a spot before you're ready.

Be certain to mark the center line so that you install it evenly on both sides. (That's the part that I screwed up...but it was hard to tell afterwards)

Apply the glue only in the designated areas and NOWHERE else!

It is MUCH easier with the windshield removed.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside V8 - YELLOW - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: allmotor1 ()
Date: October 10, 2017 08:41AM

My dash is one of the few things that drives me crazy about my interior. I understand the use of the dowels or strips of wood...but I'm hoping when I order that I can do it with the windshield in place.

Attachments:

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: October 10, 2017 05:09PM

I installed my padded dash with no glue. It looks great and has not lifted up any where. Held in place by the brackets across the front and around the instrument cluster and glovebox.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 10, 2017 09:53PM

That is exactly what I did, and it was good for the first couple of years, but has since lifted. I am thinking of pulling out the windshield, and then seeing if I can glue it down, with the aid of a heat gun. For my 1962, I found an original dash in a salvage yard, and it pealed off the steel with ease. I glued that one down in my car, and it has been perfect ever since.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.