home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Chrome bumper bolts
Posted by: TahoeRon ()
Date: October 08, 2017 07:08PM

Just got a re-chromed rear bumper for my 63 from California Corvairs. Very pleased with it.

I wanted to use new bolts, but I was surprised by the high prices I saw for the correct 3/4" diameter head size.

Then I found these: GOODMARK item MK4020801671S. Package of 6 with nuts for under $15. Available from Rock Auto and Summit Racing. Maybe elsewhere.
They were just what I needed.
+

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chrome bumper bolts
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 09, 2017 08:16AM

Cool...
Another option...

The bumper bolts are steel with a stainless steel cap covering the carriage head. I have taken many and polished them using a drill press to hold and spin the bolt, and polishing compound on a folded rag secured to a 4X4 block.

The bumper bolt heads will come out polished as nice as the chrome.

Also there are different size bolt heads. The lager ones available just don't look right to me.
smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:38AM

I used the chrome bumper bolts in place of the stainless steel capped one, since the stainless steel didn't stay as nice over time. I have been very happy with the look, and highly recommend them.

Posted by: 63RedBrier ()
Date: October 09, 2017 12:58PM

On many of the bumpers on my Corvairs, I use stainless steel bolts with the same heads that I polish on the underside, and the chrome capped bolts on the top surface. Have any of you ever noticed?

Posted by: ken ()
Date: October 10, 2017 02:27PM

Don't tighten the bolts too tight as you might crack the chrome on the bumper .

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 10, 2017 06:35PM

Funny bumper bolt story. I hosted a tech session and had recently purchased a new bumper and had new bolts for it, the old bolts were fairly rusty so instead of trying to remove the bolts and have to fight them to get the nuts off I used the impact wrench and tightened them until they rung off. One of the guys got close and told me I was turning them the wrong way, he didn't want to embarrass me, one of my favorite Corvair guys.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: October 10, 2017 07:34PM

Fellas, will these bumper bolts fit late model cars,. Thks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.