home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Spare NOS Carburetors EM
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: October 08, 2017 02:06PM

The 2 - 7019117 carbs on my 1961 98hp Super Turbo Air Monza have alot of shaft and linkage wear after 108k miles. They both have the 20335 venturi clusters and #51 main jets. Even after fresh cleaning and rebuilds, I'm not entirely satisfied with them.

I happen to have 2 - NOS 1961 carburetors, which came with the car. I'll describe as follows:

1 - 7019100 with venturi cluster 19495 and main jet #49 and
1 - 7019111 with venturi cluster 20335 and main jet #50 (has small dia. hole drilled in throttle plate near body idle bleed and throttle plate is stamped "10" and "15277")

From Bob Helt's book, it looks as if I have 2 NOS carburetors for the 80hp EM motor, one being for a Powerglide engine and the other for a manual. What do you recommend with regard to my swapping these carburetors to my car? If I use my venturi clusters and #51 main jets, will I be good to go with fresh kits in them?

Regards,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 02:15PM by MonzaJPD61.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spare NOS Carburetors EM
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 09, 2017 04:29AM

Yes I think your plan will work just fine.
As an aside, you can usually install new throttle shafts, the wear is usually on the shafts and the carburetor body is okay.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 09, 2017 05:46PM

Note the hole drilled in the throttle plate I mentioned on 7019111 carb. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 10, 2017 05:00AM

I don't know if I've noticed them but I believe the theory is an air bleed when idling. I suppose another theory could be that it's the first stab at vapor vent to vent the fumes when shut off hot. Do all your 61 carbs have the hole in the throttle plate?
What's up with the "divots" on the throttle plate screws?
In another thread "What is it with 61 carbs?" I mentioned that the 61 throttle plate doesn't have a notch on the outside. I can't remember if the notch has to do with idle or automatic choke. I just looked and no one replied with an answer. I wonder if the notch replaced the hole.
Sometimes the hardest thing with 61 carbs is that cable splitter at the front of the engine compaartment.
Someone might look and say, "ah yes the good old #10 throttle plate" or maybe it's a 01.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 10, 2017 05:45PM

This is the only one of these carbs with this hole. My 2 original 7019117 carbs don't have it, nor does 7019100.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.