home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Mounting Engine on Engine Stand
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: October 07, 2017 02:15PM

There's probably an obvious answer to this question:

Is there one advantage over the other in attaching the engine to the engine stand by the bell housing, or by the bottom of the case?

Just wondering.

Frog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting Engine on Engine Stand
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 07, 2017 03:14PM

Normal universal engine stand? just spread the 4 arms evenly...2 to top 2 to bottom of the bellhousing. That way you can start it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 03:21PM by MattNall.

Date: October 07, 2017 08:32PM

That makes sense.

I visualize the weight an entire Corvair engine being supported by nothing more than the top two bolt holes of the bell housing.

I shudder at that scene, but I know there have been no reported failures of the bell-housing bolt holes, or stripping of the bolts.

Thank you.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 07, 2017 09:01PM

Bellhousing is plenty strong....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 08, 2017 06:57AM

I use one of the threaded starter holes, the other 3 are a bolt and nut, 3/8-16.
I start them on a cart I have, either with the differential and transmission or a plate I have made from a cut-away differential. I'm not a fan of just using lug nuts or similar spacer to mount the starter in the 2 bellhousing holes only.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 08, 2017 07:58AM

Nine out of ten times I install the bell-housing end to the stand. It's well balanced that way and rotates without much fuss, plus you can roll it so you can get to the top or bottom easily and there's a fair amount of work to be done in those locations.

The only time I use the oil-pan flange with the engine stand is when I'm assembling the crankcase and plastigaging the main bearings.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 08, 2017 09:32AM

Attachment points on this setup are at the sides rather than at the top of the bell housing.

I'm guessing that this mounting arrangement was made because they intend to attach the flywheel and starter later while the engine is mounted on the stand; in other words--start it.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 08, 2017 10:11AM

I guess someday I will try using my engine stand to build a Corvair engine. So far I just used my workbench....

They run on the floor just fine! Sometimes need a platform to hang exhaust correctly.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 08, 2017 12:33PM

Many years ago, I lazied out on an older work Bench. I set a cylinder head down near the edge of the wooden top, marked the case stud pattern on the bench (through the holes in the head), removed the head then drilled 1/2" holes through the top of the bench. Now, for case assembly, I just drop one case half through the hole pattern and do the assembly on the bench. When the cases are together, I pull it, install the bell housing and put it on the engine stand.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 09, 2017 05:00AM

I have a little wooden stand with the holes drilled through for crankcase. It has a piece of wood along the top of the crankcase side so it sits level. I only use 2 bolts to begin and then roll it down with the cam gear hanging over the side of the bench to get the rest of the bolts through. The bolts are too long.
I install the bellhousing and engine stand mount before cylinders so I can still lift it to the stand. I also usually have the rear housing on by this time after checking the cam timing.
I have another little wooden stand for cylinder heads, they sit upside down with holes for the carb studs and a piece of wood along the cylinder side so they sit level. When doing the valve springs, I sort of rock the stand to 45 degrees or so until the adjuster knob on the valve spring compressor is against the bench for leverage.
I also have a little wooden stand to hold cylinders for ridge ream and hone although I can't remember the last time I only did that.
I just sort of do things the way I've always done them and enjoy reading about a better way.
My older brother has been helping me do some of the lightweight stuff. First thing he did when working on carburetors was make a mount from a piece of aluminum about 1x3x12 that clamps in the vice for tough stuff like a stuck main jet. I had always just clamped the carb body in the vice a certain way which was precarious because it's fragile and not square.
I need to make something to mount a differential carrier. I sort of hold them like a cat that's trying to get away when attempting to remove side adjusters that have been in place since Lyndon Johnson was president. I don't know if wood will do it this time.
I don't have pictures but the events depicted really did happen.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 09, 2017 05:23AM

I use a 2X6 clamped in my vise to assemble the case halves. The 2X6 sits in the head studs and against the cylinder registers. This lets the case rock when you need it to so the case bolts will go in and leaves full access to everything needed. Once the case halves are bolted I then install the bell housing. I actually mount the engine stand adapter to the bell housing then transfer it to the stand.

As far as the pic that Rob posted, I would never mount an engine that way. Talk about asking for issues. Not so much on the engine but the mount plate! That is a LOT of pressure focused in a small area. I also will not start an engine on an engine stand. Why? watch one of my videos, look at the engine rock when the throttle is snapped. Do you think your stand can take it? How tippy is it? I'll stay closer to the floor thank you!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.