home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Some results.. Cam Lobes and specs..
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: October 06, 2017 03:23PM

So, after several hours here are some results..The pictures are of the camshaft lobes through the lifter bores. Not sure what I am looking at re: discoloration on some lobes.This is the left side of the engine only.

As for specing it, this is what we found... not all bad... but some are off.

#2 I - .251
#2 EX- .247

#4 I - .237
#4 EX- .253

#6 I- .241
#6 EX- .253

Lifter bores seem to in good condition and not out of round.

Still trying to figure out the valve train noise. #6 exhaust seems to be the loudest. (#6 exhaust is the one whose rocker does not sit straight on the valve, it sits tipped to to right and off center from the valve stem)

ALL lifters were slightly dished but otherwise the bases looked ok. Not much, if any scoring..

Still lost!

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some results.. Cam Lobes and specs..
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 06, 2017 04:16PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the cam is on it's way out. Look at the center top picture, that lobe looks good. Now look at the bottom left, see how the edge of the cam seems rounded? It should be square just like all the rest. There are a couple of others that have rounded edges shown.

You say the lifters are dished? #2 bad sign. Lifters that are good are never dished.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:19PM

Cam is worn out. All should be .25 or more.

Crawford

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 07, 2017 09:36AM

Yes, your cam is bad- but I think the fact that the noise is most noticeable on the #6 cylinder probably means that the cam journal clearance is getting excessive and is causing more oil to go to the cam and less to the lifters on #6. This is not that uncommon of a problem, as that particular cam journal tends to wear much faster than the others because it is main support for the cam gear. There's 2 good ways to deal with that, one is to replace the block, the other is to have a custom cam ground with oversize journals. The other way that may or may not work is to put a high volume oil pump in. The best bet is to take the engine apart, and find out for sure what the clearance is on those journals, and decide what to do about it based on what you find... no matter what that cam has to come out!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Wrencher ()
Date: October 10, 2017 08:15PM

Yep, dished lifters = bad cam.

Hans

The Larry Shinoda Collection: '65 Corvair Monza 140, '69 L-68 Corvette Roadster, '70 BOSS 302

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.