home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fitch Roof and Cooling
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: October 06, 2017 12:17PM

I had read somewhere that the stylish roof extension used on Sprints and Cavaliers created a low pressure area over the engine cooling air intakes, leading to air starvation and overheating. I wonder if 1) this is true? and 2) if that is the reason for the unbelievably huge air scoops and duck tail spoiler on this otherwise beautiful car.

Fitch Roof Car for Sale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 12:17PM by flat_six.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fitch Roof and Cooling
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: October 06, 2017 01:11PM

A lot of work went into that car. Well done but not my taste. I find it odd that they blended the ducktail, scoops, and air dam into the body but did not bother to blend in the Fitch roof. Put a stock deck lid on it and it would look very nice. OF course I'd ditch the roof piece too, but that's just me.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:18PM

I saw the ad for the car a few days ago and since the ad claimed " Recipient of a nut and bolt rotisserie restoration by Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA. " I sent Jeff an e-mail and asked him what if anything could he tell me about the car.

I got a two word reply saying "Represented accurately".

The ad did also say "(COMES WITH STOCK DECKLID)" but does not say if it is painted to match the car or not.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 06, 2017 03:25PM

I've had a couple of "Fitch-roof" cars and yes, IMO, they did run hotter. They did not "overheat" though, just hotter (maybe 50 degrees)

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 06, 2017 04:11PM

I seem to recall an owner of a Fitch Roofed Kelmark 215 rear engine conversion Corvair back in the mid seventies discussing the pro's and con's as related to air flow and cooling. He had mounted the radiator as I recall, above the transaxle. (This was a Red Oxide primered car with the roof grafted into the bodywork)

For some reason I seem to recall he was somewhat disappointed in the air flow and cooling for his needs and I think may have added electric fans to assist.

Maybe Mike aka YS117 can better recall some of the details and maybe add to this.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 04:13PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: October 06, 2017 04:24PM

Yup - Pete Frailey's car. He was constantly changing it. When I last saw it a decade ago, the radiator was mounted above the transaxle. It had some cuts and vents in the body to help cool it. Pete was meticulous in his efforts and I'm sure he got it to work. I don't know if Pete is still around, but he bought that car new and it was well known back in the day.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 06, 2017 04:47PM

Pete did a lengthy tech article in the COMMUNIQUE about the vent top and his heating concerns. I always figured that if the radiator was moved to the front
the issue would be cured but he was adamant about the radiator over the gearbox.

I haven't seen Pete's name in quite a while does anyone here know or remember him?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 06, 2017 05:14PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pete did a lengthy tech article in the COMMUNIQUE
> about the vent top and his heating concerns. I
> always figured that if the radiator was moved to
> the front
> the issue would be cured but he was adamant about
> the radiator over the gearbox.
>
> I haven't seen Pete's name in quite a while does
> anyone here know or remember him?

I knew him back when I was a member of Group Corvair in the mid seventies and recall listening to his tales at length.

His home is less than an hour from me and the last time I drove past it, the driveway had no cars in it but the family name was still on the mailbox. That was probably a year or two ago.

I would imagine he is still around as he, I guess is about ten to fifteen years older than I am. Every once in a while I think about stopping in to for a visit and to see if he is still around.

Last I think I saw his car was about seven or maybe eight years ago at "Lee's Garage" in Edgewater MD (Just outside of Annapolis MD) but not since.
I think Lee sold the building and retired or maybe semi retired to maybe work from home. Rumor had it that he may have become the owner/caretaker of the car but I can't confirm that.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.