home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Anyone completely change their interior color?
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:07AM

Like the title says, has anyone completely changed the interior color of their vair? I'd love to see photos, especially if you have before and afters. I know the seats, carpet, door panels, and even dash pad are available from clarks. But I'm curios how the dash pads are compared to original. I'm also curious what the cost was by the time you replace seat belts and all the other interior pieces to match the new color. Thanks for looking!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone completely change their interior color?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:45AM

Not a project that should be taken on for a non-adventurous person who is faint of heart and has a slim wallet. This type of project will find all the issues previous owners hid in the cabin section. You will find quite a bit of painting will need be done, if you are a sticker on details and looks.

I am doing a powder blue to black interior change on my Camaro. Add LED lights all around and 4 wheel powered disc brakes and the car will sit on stands, while fixing all the other little things that was found. But it is starting to look good at this time.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 09:47AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:55AM

good afternoon all

is this what you were looking for?
one example

pics here
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: October 06, 2017 01:52PM

What are the seats out of?And great job!!!

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:22PM

I changed the color on my '66 from black to red. On a late model (not sure about earlies) the dash is a darker shade of red so I had to find four compatible colors: dark and bright vinyl spray along with dark and light paint for metal.

I replaced the rear cardboard with new red parts from clarks and of course new red carpet (brighter than stock) to complete the look. I stayed with black on the seats and headliner.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:24PM

Here's the final look:

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:58PM

Changing the interior color is easier then the exterior color, in my opinion. Because those door jams, under the lid and edges of the exterior places to paint require a lot of prep and detail. Like Craig did. Nice job!thumbs up
I never liked having a former color peek out at you from some remote area!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: October 06, 2017 03:17PM

Clarks carpet, seat covers, etc. I have the repro padded dash and it is good quality, fits well.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: October 07, 2017 05:13AM

Buster
the fronts are from a 2004 chrysler sebring convertable, the backs are from a 96 Kia Rio and weigh about 10 lbs total. the console is from a 96 ford explorer

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 07, 2017 06:05AM

I don't have pictures but I did a low budget thing on my 61 500 4-door in the early 90s. It's sort of a light green color. I got some aqua 63 seats for little or nothing but they looked horrible next to the green. At the paint shop they used a device on a seat to define the color and mixed some paint in eggshell finish. I used it on the metal and cardboard, then used a contrasting color as inset on the door panels. I thought it looked okay and I can't remember anyone saying anything bad about it.
It was a coupe rear seat which seemed okay but put anyone sitting back there really low to the floor which cracked me up sometimes.
It's hard to come by cheap seats in good condition these days. We let 50 or more go to the dumpster in the 90s when our buddy Egil died, no one had the room.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: October 07, 2017 05:53PM

I changed my LM Monza from all black to silver and white.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: October 08, 2017 03:29AM

Don't have before pictures, car interior was black with white seats, but here's my after picture, 👍

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: October 08, 2017 01:36PM

I don't have the car put together yet, but I'm changing a '67 Monza 4 door from gold to '65 Saddle, with fawn inserts. I'm keeping the full '67 details, but just doing the interior in a different color fabric and carpet. It will probably be the most stock looking custom interior you'll ever see.grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: October 08, 2017 01:52PM

All custom interior,carpet,seats,dash cover,pillar covers,package area,headliner,door panels and trunk.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Attachments:

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 08, 2017 05:55PM

I changed mine to the saddle tan color that approximates the biscuit tan color in Sylvia's Jaguar. "Black interior just looks so horribly cheap when combined with many exterior colors", thats what she said and I agree, except for certain exterior colors like Silver Grays, some Reds, and possibly others. We changed the seats out. Sylvia likes the door and quarter panel design of 1965 Corvair much better than the 1966 and later, so it is a 1966 with tan panels from a 1965 model that has 1967 MUSTANG standard front armrest-doorpull in SADDLE (1967 MUSTANG/COUGAR standard not PONY......it is a very nice molded one piece with stitching and grain molded in)
She has an old 15" Momo wheel that has been refinished to more of a tan wood color instead of the reddish brown finish it had. The wheel is now just slightly darker than the finish on my vintage maple neck Fender Telecaster, such that it color coordinates with the interior. The dash top and glove box and all parts of the dash are painted flat black, the steering column and interior door metal, door caps etc are painted a closely matching golden biscuit tan that is just slightly lighter than the '65 door panels. The Carpet is custom tight loop honey tan colored with light brown sewn binding. The dash(instrument area) is custom fabricated panel which features a VDO '73 and later Super Beetle 100 mph speedometer, small round tachometer, volt, oil pressure, oil temp, and round gas guage.........warning lights in old location of vw gas guage within the large white on black 100mph VDO speedo.....custom cable to get 825rev VW VDO speedo to route and fit. Exterior color is 1985-1986 XJ6 Jaguar British Racing Green Metallic. The tan leather interior, wood wheel, flat black dash and more modern than sixties era wiper and light knobs along with the white on black guages and better dash illumination etc along with the european car like tan interior gives it well a more "European" upscale look.......custom wood shift knob, custom shift boot.....tan seat belts. There are numerous other non-stock modifications that modernize it to our liking in both reliability and comfort. It isn't hard to do. We aren't concerned about modifications that change things because I can afford to and will not lose any sleep over about whether it is positive or negative for future resale. You can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself, or more importantly, your spouse,....or perhaps your girlfriend instead if thats your thing....just joking about that....better not think about that or you'll find yourself without your automotive toys and money to build more because you'll find out her attorney is sharper than the one you'll need to get. Just remember, adventure before dementia and the older you get, the more important it is to not act your age. Try to stay healthy and active. You gotta move, you can't sit still like a couch potato, any project no matter how small, even if it is only planning and dreaming it and having someone else build it or slightly modify it could be money well spent on your well being if the money is judiciously spent from within your budget.
Have fun and have it your way. Fun Fun Fun, till the children take the keys away....or the cataracts, arthritis, dementia or other events.......
Unlike many cars from the same era, the CORVAIR offered nice saddle tan, such that you can find the door panels in that color and then leather seats from a modern car in that color. The CORVAIR also offered some really nice blue interiors and a very nice very dark red upholstery. Many cars weren't so lucky. You've got a bunch of nice factory interior colors! Why not treat it like you were assembling the interior at the factory. Yes, it costs more to change everything with new Clarks Panels and carpet and having seats re-upholstered or changing to modern donor car seats etc, but like painting and re-wallpapering your kitchen etc.......as Sheryl Crow sings: ' A Change Would Do You Good' or maybe Mick has the answer: 'I see a Red Door and I Want It Painted Black...............hey maybe NOT Purple Haze or Mellow Yellow for interiors but certainly fine colors for exterior paint.
You get to decide and that is the great thing because it is your vehicle.
Sadly, most of todays new vehicles have very limited exterior color choices though the interiors are so very nice. Sixties era cars had great exterior color choices but the interiors weren't so nice compared to todays cars. Corvair interiors were nicer and had better colors than most all of its peers and even better than many more expensive cars of that era. You ain't gotta change a thing, but you CAN IF YOU WISH TO as that's part of the fun if you enjoy changing things. You won't impact the value negatively in any significant way as you might on certain matching number code cars that are popular on Barrett-Jackson auction. Just don't modify a YENKO or a very nice 1969 Convertible other than BROWN efi & dis for the '69 vert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.