home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
timing and carbs
Posted by: Jim Renwick ()
Date: October 05, 2017 11:02AM

Hello there I have a 1964 monza that I just bought and I need some carburetor and electronic timing help any ideas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: timing and carbs
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 05, 2017 11:21AM

1) Where are you located?
2) Have you purchased a shop manual? Here is a link for Early Model Shop Manuals
3) What kind of issues are you having?

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 05, 2017 11:32AM

Do it right and that can be a fun car to drive.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2017 11:36AM

Welcome to the CCF! Tell us where you are and someone knowledgable may be close and can show you how.... it's only a 10 minute job when you know what you are doing..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 05, 2017 02:30PM

I live in Erie PA. Thanks for the help

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2017 03:20PM

Many members in PA. Hopefully someone close!!

Also in our "STICKY FAQ's" in "Fuel Systems" section.... are instructions written in plain english!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: October 05, 2017 04:12PM

Jim,
I am in Stoneboro, PA which is about 60 miles south of Erie. What kind of help do you need as I sell parts and can rebuild your carbs.

John Sweet

Date: October 06, 2017 06:37AM

Good morning I would like to talk to you on the phone some time to see if there is something I can do before I totally rebuild both carbs. I was told to change over to electronic ignition would help me out. But I don’t have any vacuum in either carb I taped into the chock vacuum then attach to the disturber I need to start from the beginning and this winter we can break it all down and go from there. What r your thoughts.

Jim
814-864-4488

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 06, 2017 07:10AM

Jim,

It would probably be better to PM John Sweet since there is a possibility that
he won’t revisit this thread.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:14AM

"timing and carbs"

Is there a problem with the way it is running, or are the local experts offering advice?

>> But I don’t have any vacuum in either carb I taped into the chock vacuum then attach to the disturber<<

These engines were designed to operate with Ported Vacuum for the vacuum advance and when adjusted properly, run quite well.

What has become common practice with non-Corvair guys to use Manifold vacuum on their V8/edelbrock, is a Band-Aid used to prevent off-idle pinging.

Please get a Corvair Service Manual.

>> I was told to change over to electronic ignition <<

If you are talking about something like a Pertronix, don't expect any mileage or performance improvements. Any improvements over original point distributor, usually is the result from changing from a point dist that needed repairs or correct adjustments.

If you drove a car, any car back in the 60's, you did a tune-up every 10-15,000 miles that usually included new points. If 10,000 mile tune-ups are a nuisance for you, then get an electronic ignition.

There is an aftermarket HEI Distributor offered by a guy on this forum, but that's well above what is generally referred to as an electronic ignition.

Date: October 09, 2017 09:18AM

I am looking for a good repair manual or cd to with break downs in it for a 1964 Corvair monza

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:23AM

Vendors such as Clark's who advertises here sell the shop manuals and probably John Sweet has some. You need 61 plus 64 supplement. Have you contacted John yet?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.