home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Permatex brake line thread sealant - Yes or No?
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: October 05, 2017 07:59AM

I purchased complete new pre-bent brake line kit and new brass brake blocks from Clark's for my 66 Corsa restoration. The Permatex brake line thread sealant states when used, adjustments can be made up to 24 hours after application without damage to seal. Is this sealant needed for new lines? What happens if I need to seperate a brake line in the future? Would the seal area be damaged? All opinions are appreciated.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permatex brake line thread sealant - Yes or No?
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: October 05, 2017 08:08AM

I think what it means is, the sealer doesn't set up for 24 hours and if you move the fitting after that, it breaks the "seal". A sealer for the brake fluid shouldn't be needed. Maybe its just to keep corrosion out of the threads ?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 05, 2017 08:11AM

I'm a bit baffled because brake lines do not usually seal on threads.

All Corvair brake lines are flare fittings which seal on the conical flare. Later model stuff (non-Corvair) may include copper seals between flat mating surfaces. Except for really old pressure operated brake light switches, I don't recall seeing threads providing a seal in brake systems.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 08:12AM by cnicol.

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 05, 2017 08:13AM

Stupid question, but couldn't you just use Teflon tape?

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 05, 2017 09:18AM

I used that stuff on my old brake lines when I updated my 65 to a 68 dual MC. I was concerned about the flare seal and rather than take any chances, I used that sealer. No idea if it worked but the lines don't leak. it is a mess though, got it all over the fittings and my hands. Putting it on while upside down was a real treat.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 05, 2017 09:51AM

You can use Teflon tape as an anti-seize agent for the threads, but that does not seal on a flare fitting. I have used it to seal the threads on bleeder screws to use the vacuum method of bleeding. But, one has to be very careful not to let any Teflon shreads (threads) get into the brake system.eye popping smiley

Now, I tried to find "Permatex brake line thread sealant" and I found this, but it only applies to threaded fittings, no mention of using on flare fittings.

[www.permatex.com]

I would not use this product on flare fittings. How would I clean it out of the tube flare and out of the inverted flare fitting later when I needed to replace a part?confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 05, 2017 10:33AM

I'm not expert on most of these things, I was thinking maybe somewhere might be some pipe fittings but apparently not. Then my thoughts are add a little antisieze on the threads so you can get them loose in 30 years from now. But I probably won't care then.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: October 05, 2017 10:46AM

I think this may be an "up-sell" situation(would you like fries with that burger?). I remember when I bought my brake lines from Clarks, they "recommended" using it.(see note in catalog & I called them to understand). It probably won't "hurt"(if used cautiously), but if you have new parts, then shouldn't be "necessary" as Craig states.
IMO

George O
🇺🇸 1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Attachments:
Posted by: RKF ()
Date: October 05, 2017 05:59PM

I've replaced the steel and rubber brake lines on three Corvairs and never used anything on the threads.

Thread sealant on brake lines like television on honeymoon -- not necessary.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: October 05, 2017 07:46PM

Those Threads are for tightening, not sealing.

Will
Northern California

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 06, 2017 06:46AM

I vote no. I've changed 4 rubber hoses on 2 Corvairs this week with much penetrating oil, torch heat and patience to avoid ruining the steel lines. Some sealer crap in the mix would either make the job easier or harder...
O/T, I had a rubber hose blow off the end with the use of propane torch heat on the other side of a barrier a few inches away. I suppose it was the inner expansion of the fluid. There wasn't any fluid present after it blew apart but I was thankful I din't get hot brake fluid blown into my face or eyes.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 06, 2017 07:05AM

Any thread sealant is made for pipe threads that are tapered. Double flare fittings need nothing. If you have a flare fitting that will not seal then there are copper cone washers for that purpose.

I have seen teflon tape wrapped around flare fittings and I have to laugh every time I see this. Again, thread sealant is for PIPE threads.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:30PM

On flair fittings it is used to prevent the threads from corroding. It will not prevent leaks... On new fittings that will be exposed to the elements for many years, it's worth using, especially if it will be you breaking them loose.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 07, 2017 04:27AM

There are many things out there that will help prevent seizing and galling but thread sealant is not intended for that purpose.

Think about this for a minute. How often do you think you will be taking any brake lines apart? 20-30 years later? By that time it will be time to replace stuff anyway. We have issues here in the salt belt but still I have taken things apart after 4 years when a brake line rubbed through. I have never seen a fuel line fitting rust unless it has sat in the elements exposed. Even then of all the lines I have taken apart if they are rusty enough to be stuck they are rusty enough to change the lines and any thread sealant wouldn't change that fact.

BTW, if you are not using a line wrench then you start at a disadvantage. There are only 2 line wrenches out there that I will use and I have used most everything. Snap-On is my first choice and Craftsman is my second choice. Any others are to weak and will flex on the head and spin on the nut.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: ken ()
Date: October 07, 2017 04:47AM

I installed my first brake line over 50 years ago , never used anything but dry threads, never had a leak . All the threads are used for is to obtain pressure on the flare.

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: October 07, 2017 05:33AM

I can think of a few locations where you might need to break them loose under 20-30 years. Front and brake hoses, rear wheel cylinders, master. It's just a nice touch to keep the threads sealed from outside elements, NOT for sealing to keep the brake fluid from leaking. I've done it on British cars for years so why not on a Corvair. They're worth the extra bit.
If you use it, keep it away from the flair. I use a small artist brush to apply just a drop on the threads. Other than the extra time to apply it and the cost of the sealant, I don't know of any down side for using it.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Date: October 07, 2017 08:41AM

Daily drivers here are lucky to get 20 years on a steel brake line. Of course the parts are shot when I take them apart, but I like to get them apart easily.grinning smiley

And if the system uses DOT 3 or 4, the wheel cylinders will not make it to 20 years around here. The aluminum pistons corrode in the moisture grabbed by the hygroscopic fluid and make white crap that destroys the seals. Along with the rust in the bottom of the cylinder.angry smiley Of course flushing the system every 2 years would eliminate that, but how many people or shops actually flushed the brake system years back? Only happened when failure occured most times.

ABS pumps also suffer the same fate, and only DOT 3 is to be used in them. That is why regular flushing of DOT 3,4 is needed.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: October 11, 2017 12:45AM

oops - we're supposed to flush ABS pumps?
Dang...

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:23AM

No good reason to use thread seal on brake pipes though I would recommend using copper grease anti sieze.

Do you guys over the pond every use Kunifer (Copper Nickel) for brake lines? Good stuff, safer than Copper and lasts a very long time. Only downside is you have to make your own lines but it's not difficult with the right bending and flaring tools.

Date: October 11, 2017 07:25AM

In fact, downright easy to flare and bend!smileys with beer

I use it all the time.thumbs up

Cunifer or NiCopp describes it here.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.