home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
VIN NUMBER LOCATION?
Posted by: DLVRNIT ()
Date: October 04, 2017 04:37PM

Hello All.....

Would any be able to address this question. I own a 60' Corvair and the original Pink Slip is missing. The vehicle has not been registered since 1978 so it is long out of the California DMV system. It is not run in quite awhile so getting it to the DMV or CHP Office we'll be a "BIG" hassle. I have located a service that will do a vin check at my residence but they are saying the car may only have one tag / vin number location. Is this true? If not were might the second tag or number be located?

Thanks,

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIN NUMBER LOCATION?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 04, 2017 05:35PM

Does this sound just kinda "Screwy" to anybody else?
Or am I the only one who feels there is just something wrong here?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 04, 2017 05:52PM

2 locations...

one in the driver's door and the other is Hidden... in our FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: October 04, 2017 07:30PM

You would be better of to just get the CHP to verify the VIN. No real point to playing games. Just be upfront with the CHP. Nothing they haven't seen before.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 04, 2017 07:45PM

John and A-Mel...

He's talking straight... Cal requires this and with the cost of a flatbed round trip and wait time....better to have the guy come out...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 04, 2017 08:51PM

guy says "may only have one VIN tag or location"

Does that mean that only ONE location is allowed? If so that is the one in the drivers door jamb above the latch bolt. Stainless plate with spot weld on each end.

There is a hidden VIN on most every vehicle -
Corvairs do have one and it's location is in the FAQs with photos.
Should be up to the "professional" that you are paying to come and inspect it to know what he needs to know to DO HIS JOB = IMHO. smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: DLVRNIT ()
Date: October 04, 2017 11:19PM

Nothing Shady Here..... The place I called said that they are pretty sure there is only the tag located in the jam on the Corvair so only a date with the CHP would get our car legally verified. The California DMV used to offer such a service but with cutbacks have put it off on the CHP. Talking with our local CHP office the next appointment date is mid December, doh. And then as stated by Matt Nail the cost of a flatbed tow, waiting for the inspection and then return trip home, heck it could be a 500 dollar trip. If I can verify two locations they would come out and inspect. Thanks to All for Any Info.....

Kevin and Bonnie Drake / aka: the Tuck-n-Roll Guy
Nor-Cal / Bay Area
1960 700 2 Door Coupe
57,000 Original Miles / In the Family 55 Years

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: October 05, 2017 03:07AM

Last time I purchased an out of state car the Auto Club verified the VIN when I took the car to their office. Have you check with the Auto Club?

Date: December 03, 2017 07:23AM

i'm new here just purchased a 1961 greenbrier std trim with 727f paint. i also have a 1961 lakewood. i'm trying to find vin on greenbrier that is stamped on frame. saw on one file that location is noted on FAQS with photos but what or where is FAQS?

Date: December 03, 2017 07:46AM

Frequently Asked Questions = FAQs
In the "sticky Posts" above

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:33AM

Probably not shady, in Colorado they require a police officer or government agent to perform a "VIN inspection" on a car as a step in the registration and titling process.

I believe multiple VIN stampings were not mandated on cars until the late 60's or even early 70's.

Yes your '60 has only one visible VIN location, it's on the driver's door jam. The hidden vin is stamped on the left front pinch weld in the driver's front wheel well, and is only visible if you remove the front suspension.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 08:33AM by Nickshu.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 03, 2017 09:02AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Here is the info in the FAQ section that was referred too! Hope this helps!

And yes Nick, while cleaning my wheel wells, I couldn't read the stamped Vin because of it being blocked by the suspension. I could see a small part of it, but not all. Only way for sure is remove the front suspension!

But then again, if they can only see the last few numbers, it may be enough for them. But I don't live in California, and have heard they are difficult to work with, sometimes.

It was enough in Kentucky, they said that the last couple of numbers matched the door plate, so they where satisfied. My 60 had been out of the system since 1976!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 09:07AM by GWLee.

Date: December 03, 2017 09:14AM

Lee, you're bringin' 'em up to be Lazy!! grinning smiley

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 03, 2017 09:20AM

Whoop's, sorry!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.