Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: ¡El Coche Nuevo! -- 1964 Convertible Project (take 2)
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: April 26, 2018 03:41PM

Come on, man! The best way to get the bugs worked out of a sick, long-dormant engine is to just run it WIDE OPEN for a couple hundred miles. That's what I always say... drinking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: April 26, 2018 03:50PM

No way, amigo. I think this engine will last long enough for me to build another to replace it. I'm thinking about building a 140. That would be killer.

John Carver
Simpsonville, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: April 30, 2018 09:20AM

Just to get an idea of how bad off my engine is, I ran a compression test today. The results were:

#6- 155 #5- 160
#4- 148 #3- 140
#2- 120 #1- 110

A little squirt of oil in #1 and #2 boosted the reading to 145(#2) and 130(#1).

The spark plugs were all dry but carbon fouled. This engine has run for roughly a half hour total since I got it running again last year. It had sat dormant for 25 years. The car has been driven like 800 feet since I got it running. I'm hoping that it will improve with a tune up and with being driven. There is a bit of oil coming from somewhere topside. I can see where it has sprayed up from somewhere. I might have to take the top cover off and check the crankcase ventilation.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 30, 2018 10:10AM

It will once it's on the street..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 30, 2018 05:38PM

Did a bit of illegal driving today to try to work some bugs out of this engine. Some things that I discovered are:

1) Upon warming up, the car stopped smoking except when I floored it.

2) The clutch is badly out of adjustment. Too much free play in the pedal. Very slight grinding when shifting to reverse.

3) There is too much oil in the crankcase. This is probably why I'm getting a bit of oil from the dipstick tube.

4) There is oil dripping from the bellhousing weep hole (Dammit!!!) I believe it is engine oil. The front seal is new, but it might still be the problem. I may have also not effectively sealed the flywheel bolt threads and the bellhousing bolt threads. I will keep an eye on it for now because I just don't feel like pulling the engine at the moment.

5) The brakes need some work. The shoes need to be replaced and the drums need work. Stopping is currently a little iffy. Right now you need an on-board physics professor to accurately calculate stopping distances.

Aside from the above, there is just a bit of creaking and rattling from the long-dormant suspension.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: April 30, 2018 05:54PM

But that's progress!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 06:06PM

Awesome, driving!! I bet the engine is fine, leaks may still need work, careful you don't oil the clutch disc.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: August 15, 2018 01:37PM

So, it's been a while. Between my twins and the weather, not much is getting done. I did manage to convert my charging system from a generator to an internally regulated alternator. Most of the parts were used. The guts of the alternator are new. I used the fan and front housing from a junkyard Corvair alternator. I think I will be happier with it.

As a funny side note, I was recovering from a minor medical procedure the other day, and the sedation had yet to fully wear off. Like a fool, I managed to buy a complete turbo from an early Spyder. Now, I know that a turbo is not just a bolt on procedure. I also know that i dont even want a turbo Corvair. Somehow, at the time, it seemed like a really good idea. A few hours later, I was kicking myself. That turbo is for sale. If no one wants it, I will see where Ebay will get me. Don't do drugs kids. Drugs are bad, m'kay?

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: August 16, 2018 05:54PM

So, I got a chance to dig through the turbo I bought, and it turns out to be junk. The impeller shaft is broken. The carb is freely moving, but everything else is pretty bad. Good thing is that I am getting my money back and it's going back to where it came from. Tomorrow I get back to working on my carbs. I am really Jonesing to drive my 'vair!

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: August 16, 2018 06:06PM

Good news on the turbo going back, the car looks really close to running, good luck, top down driving Sunday would be nice.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: August 16, 2018 06:11PM

Great!!

Date: December 12, 2018 05:18PM

So, I had given up completely. The car, all the parts, specialty tools, boxes upon boxes of spares and gaskets, all of it... were for sale. I had a few incredibly low-ball offers. One guy even asked how much I would pay HIM to haul it to a scrapyard. I didn't have any interest from anyone on the forum, and that's okay. You guys know how much of a project she still is.
So here we are, back in Corvairland. If no one else wants it, then it will remain with me. The worlds lack of interest has fueled my desire to prove the world wrong. It will be a nice car, just you wait!
I am going to pull the engine for rings, heads, and a reseal. I have all winter, so there is plenty of time to be very thorough. I will be asking dumb questions along the way, so I ask for your patience. Once we are reinstalled, it's time for body work, followed by paint and a new top. For now, the car quietly sleeps in the garage, dreaming of a future on the road again with someone who loves her.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:
Date: December 12, 2018 05:29PM

That's the Spirit!

Date: December 12, 2018 05:56PM

Yep it's insulting how much people are willing to pay for a project, I'm pulling for you.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 12, 2018 06:01PM

Sometimes I feel a little like Michael Corleone. "Just when I thought I was out!... They pull me back in!" It's not that Corvair owners are like the mob, but we are a (sometimes incredibly disfunctional) family.

I thank you all for your support!

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: kcjengr ()
Date: December 12, 2018 06:09PM

That's the attitude! Keep at it, it will be a nice car one day.
You'll enjoy it all the more knowing how far you have brought it.

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt J.
Atlanta, Ga
'64 Monza Coupe 110hp 4spd
Restoration in progress here
Photo album here

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 12, 2018 06:09PM

Keep at it smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: December 12, 2018 06:27PM

I am just a bit away from you in Charlotte — if I ever get down your way would love to see your car!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa
1966 Corvair Corsa (60 over with an Isky 280)

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: December 13, 2018 04:50AM

I have found that if one sets a goal of accomplishing one thing each day or week, no matter how small, it helps keep one motivated.

Looking forward to your progress! thumbs up

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 13, 2018 06:49AM

Its frustrating the lack of interest in moving a project - I know that one. I am glad though to see you decide to stick with it. It will be worth it in the long run.

Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.