Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
¡El Coche Nuevo! -- 1964 Convertible Project (take 2)
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: October 03, 2017 05:36PM

It's good to know that I can be MacGyver when I have to be, but I have grown tired of it. The opportunity to rebody my project has presented itself. I have acquired a new (to me) 1964 Monza Convertible body. Ketchup, the Rusty Venture, is going to the great scrapyard in the sky. I am no longer wasting my time on a hopeless car. I spent three years collecting parts and refurbishing others and now I have a car worthy of fixing up.

I have cleaned up the perfectly solid floors in preparation for Rust Bullet followed by soundproofing material. Once the engine compartment is freshened up, I will install my good powerpack, new gas tank, dash parts, lights, interior and brakes. Once she's driveable, I will finish up the very minor bodywork and get the car prepped for paint.

I will be posting my progress with lots of pictures. It's so nice to be able to do it right this time!

Special thanks go out to Dean Gemberling (ihscomputers) for giving me the opportunity to get this car, and to Tony Ellison for transporting it to me.

John Carver
Simpsonville, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ¡El Coche Nuevo! -- 1964 Convertible Project (take 2)
Date: October 03, 2017 05:37PM

Here is the floor being prepped.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: October 03, 2017 06:17PM

Looking forward to some great progress and a terrific end result!

It's so nice to know that my first Corvair will be "on the road again" thumbs up

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 03, 2017 06:29PM

Definitely a better starting point! Have fun!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 04, 2017 02:19PM

Floors cleaned up and coated in Rust Bullet. Tomorrow or Friday, I will install sound deadening material.

Attachments:

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 04, 2017 05:26PM

Awesome. That's what my convertible looked like when I got it, no regrets here, you'll love it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 05, 2017 02:30AM

That is gonna be a nice one!
One of the cleanest metal projects anywhere on the east coast!

You may want to scrounge around and locate a SPYDER dash (gauge cluster assembly).
ROUND SPEEDO versus the typical "Yardstick" type speedo.
The early model Corvairs can take any NORMAL speedometers as they operate from the speedo gear to trans, where the LATE CORVAIRS have an 825 revolutions SPEEDO like VOLKSWAGEN that connects to front wheel.

You have a nearly unlimited selection of possible aftermarket and/or donor-junkyard-ebay speedometers-gauge clusters from almost anything....'85 sunbird, '75 mustang ii, '74 monte carlo, '73 grand am, '77 bmw 320....obviously some may not fit without significant modifications, etc but this limited example shows you that there are thousands of possibilities.
Perhaps the best way would be to obtain a SPYDER dash panel and then incorporate NEW AFTERMARKET SPEEDOMETER, new aftermarket tachometer, new aftermarket oil pressure gauge, new aftermarket voltmeter, etc...... Brands are not that important as all of the new aftermarket gauges are of good quality. What you want to make sure is that the appearance and design of the entire group of gauges looks like it is a "matched-set" and fits like the factory might have designed it that way. Thirty years ago VDO and STEWART-WARNER were the only brands of gauges and speedometers & tachometers that were really good. That has changed, as every "no-name" gauge maker does a really good job today, so everything, even the very very low cost Chinese Tachometers and Speedos and super low cost Chinese oil press/voltmeter/etc are perfectly fine......quality is better than 1960's oem GM/Ford/Chrysler/AMC gauges.

Hey, while you have your '64 in project form, you might wish to incorporate a late seventies to mid eighties GENERAL MOTORS steering column.
Why? Well you can incorporate the TURN SIGNAL stalk cruise control and the multi-speed wiper (YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY YOUR EXISTING WIPERS---see street rod suppliers---tech articles in street rod magazines and web forums and youtube)
You'll also get TILT WHEEL and emergency flasher controls and ignition switch in the column. Depending on your choice, you can get the DIMMER controls and windshield washer controls on the stalk too.
You'll need to measure various donor columns but there are several that will easily adapt to Corvairs. I'd look at 1976 thru 1986 Chevy Vans/GMC Vans, 1978-1986 Monte Carlo/Cutlass Supreme/Regal/Grand Prix/Malibu/ perhaps even '77-'90 Caprice, '76-'79 Seville, '76-'78 Nova Concours, and also various S-10 p/u & blazer and others too.
multi-speed electric windshield wipers are highly desireable IF YOU EVER PLAN TO DRIVE IT REGULARLY IN SPRING or SUMMER...........South Carolina is famous for Cloudbursts of heavy but brief Spring time and Summer showers, on otherwise very nice days............there is also the gulley washer-all hell breaking loose massive downpours that occur usually sometime between 1PM and 3:30PM nearly every other day between June 15th and August 15th................Cats out on the west coast don't know what a massive downpour is and they are nearly daily in the summer afternoons, usually a strong thunderstorm when the humidity is high and the temperature has reached 94F to 102F........massive rain and thunderstorm and after it rolls through and clears the temperature drops to between 85F and 88F.

You might also wish to visit wrecking yards and find the entire front and rear seats from say a late eighties BMW or MERCEDES, VOLVO, or something with an upscale interior in EXCELLENT CONDITION, preferrably LEATHER for durability.
The cost is nearly nothing as there are so many old cars like this and not nearly enough demand for such parts.
YES, you'll have to WELD ON THE SEAT TRACKS/MOUNTS from the donor car etc....but in the CLEAN STATE that your 1964 Corvair is currently in, you can easily do that. The BMW & MERCEDES seats are just suggestions. Heck, Chevy and Kia interiors of 15 years ago have interiors that approach the quality of 1980's era upscale MERCEDES & BMW cars. Let your eye be the judge and your tape measure be the guide. CHRYSLER PACIFICA convertible FRONT SEATS circa early 2000's are highly desirable in that they do incorporate a 3 point retractable SEAT BELT within the seat itself. WITH THE NEAR FLAWLESS CONDITION OF YOUR BODY/FLOORS of your 1964, it should be EASY Enough to add sufficient PLATE bracing so as the seats do not yank away from the floor in a worse case scenario accident. THE TIME TO CONSIDER AND DO THIS IS NOW WHILE YOUR CAR IS A Clean-Project. Again, this is just a suggestion of a possible way that you may wish to proceed. You might wish to keep it bone stock. It is your car so do it the way you want it. IF YOU DO WISH TO CHANGE A FEW THINGS, YOU SHOULD PLAN AND BEGIN TO INCORPORATE THEM BEFORE PROGRESS GETS TOO FAR DOWN THE ROAD THAT YOU'RE SPENDING MONEY RE-DOING WHAT YOU JUST DID TWO MONTHS EARLIER BECAUSE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND.
Have Fun With It!
It's gonna be Nice when you're finished, whatever way you choose to go.
Remember that the wizard of Corvair Reliabilty is located very close to your backdoor, also in South Carolina-----------efi and distributorless ignition cannot be beat!

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 05, 2017 02:40AM

Ooops it is Chrysler Sebring not Pacifica for the front seats, but I'm sure you've got the idea!

Date: October 05, 2017 09:25AM

Well, I have already made provisions for the installation of the Flux Capacitor and the Oscillation Overthruster. Once I figure out how to link up the plutonium power supply I will be able to add on the Hover-car kit that I'm getting from Clark's. grinning smiley

In all seriousness though, I plan on keeping this car basically stock. I have a full interior and I like the way the original looks. I am big on nostalgia. I remember being little and riding in old cars and I remember my old man and how happy he was. I love that feeling and that's why I love old cars just the way they were made.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: October 05, 2017 10:49AM

Yes my vert has stock seats, I will install extenders at some point but otherwise like them although towels come in handy on sunny days. The 66 gets autocrossed often and the modern seats help keep me in position to steer.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: October 24, 2017 01:08PM

Like I always tell people when they ask why a repair for a tiny rust bubble becomes the size of a basketball, you only see the tip of the iceberg. Although this body is solid, there are a few rust issues I need to fix, as well as a few previous repairs that have failed. The rear wheel opening looked good, but an older repair was lurking under the paint.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: October 24, 2017 01:14PM

The outer rockers are a little rusty, but the inner rockers are solid. A very easy fix that can be done in an afternoon. Not this afternoon, as my welding mask has failed. Oh well, off to Harbor Freight!

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: December 16, 2017 02:53PM

Well, I have basically done nothing with my project for two months. My twins are two months old... this is not a coincidence. I was seriously at the point of packing it in and selling all of my cars and parts. It was looking like I was never going to get back in the garage.

Thankfully, I got some free time today. Rusty Venture has been largely stripped of parts and moved out of the garage so I can have room to work. I had to tow Rusty out of the garage, and as I was moving forward, the tow strap broke. Usually, this would just be a pain in the butt, however, my garage is not on level ground. The car began rolling out of control towards the back wall of my garage! Thankfully it was stopped before it could crash through the wall... by my toolbox. Nothing was seriously damaged. At least it was the parts car!

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 16, 2017 03:15PM

Hang tough.... those babies will wannna cruise!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 19, 2017 02:08PM

I have been fighting through the tired. I took advantage of the boys sleeping well to patch some rust. There was a previous repair in this area that was just body filler packed into rust holes. I dug all that out and cut back to clean metal. I made a patch out of a chunk of an old VW Vanagon I had laying around. I welded it in and have it a coat of Bondo Glass to fill any pinholes in my crappy welds. I am going to have to form the contours of the wheel opening out of filler because they were lost to the rust out. When I get more time, I will patch the lower quarter.

This is the area with the damage cut out and the patch fitted.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Date: December 19, 2017 02:09PM

And here it is welded and Bondo Glassed.

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: December 19, 2017 02:23PM

Nice work! That is a lot of layers of paint. Are you planning to take it all to bare metal?

Date: December 19, 2017 02:37PM

I don't know if I will take it all to bare metal. The more I do, the more I might discover!

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: December 19, 2017 03:06PM

It's looking good. You might can get some metal off the parts car that has the correct contours, also Clark's may sell pieces, my car had a tennis ball size hole under the dogleg on the chrome, bought 1/4 of a quarter panel to use for repair panel.
It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun to drive, I encourage you to get it running ASAP so you can drive some while working on making it pretty. I have two and I strive to always have one that goes.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 19, 2017 03:24PM

I have to agree. I should get it running ASAP. The powerpack I have only needs some minor resealing to be good to go. If weather permits, I will pull the engine this weekend. I think I will do the brakes before getting it running.

I am going to do all of the differential seals, the shift cable, governor, tv lever and trans pan, as well as the main seal and torque converter seal while the engine is out. Any other seals I should tackle while it is out?

John Carver

1964 Monza Convertible

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.