home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wheel Hub Studs
Posted by: LeadFootLogan ()
Date: October 01, 2017 12:48PM

I own a 65 Corvair and I am putting Willwood disc brakes on it. I am going to put 15-16 inch rims on it. I believe I need longer wheel studs, any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheel Hub Studs
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 01, 2017 01:20PM

Sure - Some of it depends on which wheels you will be running. Some wheels have a limited clearance above a center cap. Extra-long studs can interfere. Dorman makes several studs that will pull right into the stock front or rear hubs and provide 1/2" extra length. That should be plenty. Amazon lists several different lengths. There are two different serration sizes for the 7/16" studs. You need the smaller ones. I think they are .475" at the serration. Type "Dorman Wheel Stud 7/16-20" into Amazon.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: LeadFootLogan ()
Date: October 01, 2017 01:59PM

I'm going with AR172 Baja. I will have to check it out

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 02, 2017 05:39AM

If you can find a Dorman paper catalog, the 7/16 studs are in a group. I've found 2 with similar knurling size and longer length.
SCCA won't let you run without full thread engagement, it's important for safety, doubly so when the the center of the wheel is no longer hubcentric.
It's also important that the lugnut is big enough and correct for contact, especially because most wheels have holes for 1/2" studs and we are only sporting 7/16.
At $2 per stud and $2 per lugnut it gets expensive.
Uni-lug wheels with the slots and washers scare me.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 02, 2017 07:15AM

I have used the Dorman 610-157 on four conversions. Good length and fully engaged the lug nuts.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: October 02, 2017 09:42PM

What are you using for caliper brackets?

Posted by: kholm ()
Date: October 11, 2017 06:52AM

Hey leadfoot, my experience with wilwood products on corvairs requires changing to 1/2" wheel studs because the rotor will slide back and forth with 7/16" studs. the length of said studs has to do with wheel choice like the other dudes mentioned.

hope this helps

Ken

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 11, 2017 07:42AM

I moved up to 1/2 inch studs and nuts for my Monza's US Mag U702 wheels. I like that the stud fills up more of the hole. Had to bite the bullet to get hubs/axles drilled up, but front hubs were in machine shop already for the disc brake nod. I also had a set of spares made up for the Monza, so no panic down the road to replace any hub or axle.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:00PM

If you are going to change the wheel stud size, go to 12mm. Almost everybody in the world uses those, including later GM. You will still need to drill out the stud hole, but not much. Most of the disc rotors (including the S10 ones) are designed for 12mm.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.