home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 17, 2017 06:20AM

I don't have answers to your oil regulator question, other than installing a guage in place of the sender temporarily to check pressure. Are you sure oil is coming out of the tail pipe? It could just be condensation mixed with the black carbon soot in the exhaust system.

Yes, you will have vacuum when revving it in the driveway.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: November 17, 2017 06:40AM

Yes i am wondering about the pressure sending unit, what is that and where can i get one, as my engine doesnt have one just a plug in the tee off of the top plate, and the regular line still goes to the turbo. Weird?

Date: November 17, 2017 07:41AM

Ok and i need to somehow fix the turbo smoking, like smokes worse than a blue hair on bingo night, dude seriously bad. Maybe ill have to take the turbo out, and check over everything, i installed the oil seal on the turbine right, i mean im like 95% percent its right. I think it might just be getting too much pressure and is pumping it in faster than it can drain out, is that a possibility??

Date: November 17, 2017 08:12AM

I'm not sure. I've only owned 4 Corvairs and all of them were 140's.

David Clamp

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Date: November 17, 2017 08:22AM

Nw i havent owned any corvairs just an engine, and it is a 180 turbo

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 17, 2017 08:27AM

You can check oil pressure by getting one of those screw in 1/8 npt pressure gauges and install it at the tee where the turbo oil feed is. The stock 'sending unit' is not a sending unit. Just a snap switch that turns on the idiot light on the dash if you have low pressure.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 17, 2017 08:32AM

Ok what does that snap switch look like, is it easier to get a pressure sensor and permenantly mount it on the dash, How would i mount a oil pressure guage, or better how would i connect it to the system, just with a 1/8 npt threaded fitting to a pressure guage, or to a sensor then a guage? How could i get that accomplished, because i would like to have an eye on the oil pressure constantly.

Thanks

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 08:35AM

ebay is full of electric gauges with sensors..

See my Engine pic I posted earlier.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 17, 2017 08:50AM

ok that makes sense, but now im wondering if the fact that i dont have a pcv valve just a breather filter on the pip out of the fan housing. Would this make it smoke excessively like the crankcase pressure wouldnt let the oil back down into the cylinder head?? I dunno if this is possible but just a thought, feel free to correct me.
There seems to be a lot of oily vapors coming out of the breather filter, after the engine has ran, like its hot, and you crank it over to start it again. Is this normal. Should i get a pcv tube and connect it up properly like its supposed to be?? Might make things less complicated.

Date: November 17, 2017 10:29AM

A properly functioning PCV system would be a good idea. However, you will probably have more blowby right now because your rings have not yet seated.

David Clamp

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:46AM

Turbos don't use a PCV valve, its a fixed orifice coming off the side of the pipe going from the crankcase to the air cleaner. There is almost no vacuum to the crank case. Its a 1/2" pipe and a very small port to the turbo.

The idle should not change when you pull the line if you have the correct boost retard. Is there a number stamped on the arm that goes into the distributor?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 18, 2017 08:10AM

i do it has a 250 stamped on the side, when i pull the line off, it sucks air in, a llot, and idles better or smoother, i dunno i have to go through all that, just rebuilt the altnatoer tired of having to manually charge the batterry.

how would i tell if the oil pressure is too high, just a testor? i took out the side plug and the spring looks fine, maybe just some crap in the turbo causing pressure to build up and not go back into the cylinder head?
thanks

Date: November 18, 2017 09:44AM

250 is the correct number for the factory retard unit. The idle will go up if you don't plug the line when you remove it, massive vacuum leak. Go to Walmart or AZ and get an el-cheapo oil pressure gauge. It will come with fittings and plastic line. Pull the plug out of the oil pressure to turbo fitting and replace it with the line fitting that came with the gauge.

[www.amazon.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: November 18, 2017 12:36PM

ok thanks for the advice

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 19, 2017 05:41AM

I'd be checking the sealing ring on the turbine shaft, it's very easy to break it and not notice it.

Modding a turbo 'vair engine for more/earlier boost isn't that difficult, a hybrid F/B turbo is a good staring point, that's using a 180 compressor side with a 150 turbine side.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Date: November 19, 2017 05:49AM

Ok can i have some advice on what to do now, ok weird scenario, i was just cranking the engine over to see if i could find the leak "i thought" was there, as i was doing so, it got quieter and quieter until you can hardly tell a break in th rhythm of the starter. Kind of weird, as this is my first engine rebuild, im guess that the rings are just getting seated?? There might still be a small compression drop in one of the cylinders, but not enough to make the starter speed up as bad as it used to over the "bad" cylinder's compression stroke.

Really weird, but hey if its fixed i dont care.....smileys with beer If it aint broke, dont fix it right.?? winking smiley

Another thing is im going to have to take the turbo/carb out now it seems, is there any good books/manuals to go over everything in them to make sure its up to the standards?? Right now ive been adjusting things off of peoples advice, but i did set the carb up right, i believe to the specs that came with the rebuild kit. It idles sooooooooo bad right now it isnt even fair, and im wondering if there is a problem in the carb or something??

Oh, and one more thing, i checked the spark plugs, and they all seem to look fine, little wet but no black soot on it or anything. I take it that that means that the oil is burning off inside the turbo exhaust housing? Am i correct?

This being said i have no idea, why it is doing that so i guess, out comes the turbo, i should've listened to previous advice from 66-corsa-gt-180 "Are you planning on getting that engine running before you get ready to install it? Corvair can be run "on the floor". Best to confirm that no issues are hiding in there."

That would've been smart, oh well hindsight is always 20-20.

What possible things could cause the oil to burn off into the turbo? Oh and an answer to a previous question, it is definitely oil dripping out the exhaust pipe, and at a sloww steady rate, and this doesnt include the mist it so graciously provides, to not only get your hands dirty, but the entire rest of your body.

Like i said before, help/advice/tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Troy W

Date: November 19, 2017 05:53AM

To leon

That is a good thing to check, in regard to the mods you mean using the housing from a 150, and still use the turbine and compressor "wheels" from a 180?? Is that to make the tolerances even closer to create more boost?

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 19, 2017 05:53AM

Use the 180/F compressor housing and wheel with a '64 150/B exhaust housing and turbine.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 05:55AM by Leon.

Date: November 19, 2017 05:54AM

Yes thanks, we must've posted at about the same time also see my question to you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 05:55AM by TroyWidtfeldt.

Date: November 19, 2017 12:36PM

Get Bob Helts YH book. Don't buy it on Amazon, just PM him. He is an active member of this Group.

[www.amazon.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.