home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 8 of 21
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: November 15, 2017 09:29AM

No its from the engine assembly lube. I just rebuild the engine, and just changed the oil. Not any old oil or sludge as i had the entire engine hot dipped by my friend at the machine shop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 16, 2017 07:24AM

Ok i have a question, im pretty sure i have lower compression in one of the cylinders, because when its cranking over with all the plugs in, you can tell one is definitely low, as the starter speeds up. Im going to take out all the plugs one by one to find out which cylinder it is. After i do that, could it be possible that the valves are adjusted wrong and causing it to not get compression? I adjusted all the cylinders the same. Hopefully it will be a valve or something, because otherwise ill probably have to take the head off. And that is a pain even though ive done it probably 20times or more now. It wont be so bad because at least i know the engine runs now.

It better not be the rings or the pistons because i got all new pistons and rings, and im going to pissed if i have to do all that again.

I put all new, to me, valves that looked fine, straight and had a definite edge on it. Only thing is the valve might not be lapped to that valve seat.

What do you all think? Should i just bite the elephant and take the engine out of the car, fix/diagnose all the problems/discover new problems. Could it possibly be a valve problem? How would i know if it is?

Date: November 16, 2017 07:30AM

One more question, where does the oil pressure sensor go on a turbo corvair? And is the temp sensor in the cylinder head, and look like a little "ac" spark plug with a long brass tube looking thing on the end?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 16, 2017 07:39AM

The oil pressure port is the where the snap action switch is on the engine. It is just in front of the fuel pump, between the oil fill tube and the alternator. If you want to check pressure you can "T" it or just put a gauge in the hole. The spark plug thingy is for the Spyder/Corsa dash temp gauge. Don't mess with it if you don't have to, they are pricey.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 16, 2017 07:46AM

Yeah i know, i have the temp gauge thingy sending unit. So the oil pressure sensor goes on top on the oil line to the turbo? Currently there is just a threaded plug in mine.

Do you think i should just pull the engine and go through it all again, and fix all the little stuff? Weird compression leak, etc.

I might just do that and get it over with, and hopefully dont find anything else problematic.

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 16, 2017 08:17AM

A quick check of the rocker studs will show if your valve adjustment is even across all cylinders. They should all have about the same amount 2-3 threads showing past the rocker nut. If one is different than the others, try adjusting it again.

The turbo has a special oil tee that both the turbo oil feed line and the pressure snap switch screw into.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 16, 2017 09:26AM

OK thx, ill check that tonight

Date: November 16, 2017 01:40PM

The wolfe is right, I would check your valve adjustment first. That is be far the most common reason for low compression. Do you own a compression or leak down gauge?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 01:51PM by MattNall.

Date: November 16, 2017 06:17PM

No but there is always harbor freight right??

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 16, 2017 06:23PM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No but there is always harbor freight right??

YES!
I would not try to do professional work for a living with HF tools, but for occasional home use they are fine.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 16, 2017 06:26PM

So it should be fine if i get one of their cheap compression testers. Wouldnt it be easier to just go and remove the spark plugs one by one until i find the one that doesnt make the starter go faster twice. See my problem is i think that one of the cylinders isnt getting compression, and i would be able to do this by ear and with a spark plug wrench. Take the plug out, if there is two fast turns on the starter with that one out, know that its not that cylinder. Replace the plug and do so until you find the bad one?? Sound like itll work??

Date: November 16, 2017 06:32PM

If you plan on continuing to work on this car, and others as you get older, you are going to NEED a compression tester.
I would suggest that you get one now, and find out what the actual compression is.
They are extremely helpful diagnostic tools that you will use more than once.

Date: November 16, 2017 06:34PM

Ok but should i get a HF one or a decent one from somewhere else

Date: November 16, 2017 06:42PM

That all depends upon your pocket book I guess.
Maybe others on here would have some suggestions.

Date: November 16, 2017 07:39PM

Troy, as a hobbiest, you can't go wrong with 90% of HF stuff. I have a lot. I was just over today with my wife, (extra free stuff). We are retired, its a lunch date, LOL. If doing this for a living you may want something better. When most of us were your age it was borrow, buy used or save up. You now have a choice which we didn't.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 16, 2017 08:00PM

Troy- I wouldn't bother doing a compression test until the rings are broken in and the lifters are pumped up. It can take up to 30 min. for the lifters to pump up, and roughly 100 miles for the rings to seat. After that, if you still think the compression might be off on one, looking at all of the plug colors is a pretty decent way of finding a dead hole. One will have way different color to it if the compression is way off. I don't know how you can tell if the compression is off on one cylinder by the test you are trying...
the starter will crank much faster anytime any plug is out, good cylinder or bad. You've got to learn to slow down a little and not be so quick to suspect a problem... run the thing a while and see if its really doing what you think it is!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: November 17, 2017 05:21AM

Kevin, yes i know that there is definietly a compression problem, ive ran the engine for at least 1hr at a idle and revving intermittentantly. I believe that either the spark plug hole i fixed with a "fix a thread" didnt fix it, or that a valve is sticking or something of that sort.

And i thought the whole point of owning a car was to go fast, not slow down...grinning smileywinking smiley

yes i know i might be too eager to suspect a problem, but i want/need to get everything fixed up quickly.

Date: November 17, 2017 05:26AM

I dunno if this is a problem but i am just wondering, ok i have a line from the cylinder head intake port, to the pressure retard for the dizzy. Now this is the weird part if i disconnect it while its running there is no pressure but a suction that will stick onto my hand with suction. I thought there is supposed to be boost pressure that causes the timing to retard. Am i correct or not? This is just a question from a newby that doesnt know squat, and is asking for help. Thanks.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 17, 2017 06:00AM

You'll never have boost at idle or even just reving a stock Corvair turbo. Most Corvairs won;t build boost unless they are under load in 3rd or 4th gear. With some modifications, boost can be had sooner or in lower gears.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: November 17, 2017 06:13AM

OK MAN TELL ME THOSE MODIFICATIONS!!!! No, but should it create a vacuum even revving? and when you take the hose off it seems to idle better, what does that mean, idle not adjust right?
And i didnt fix the oil leak apparently, because it still smokes BAD, like you cannot see. And drips oil out of the exhaust pipe. Not cool. Im gonna take off the front cover top plate, and check out the oil galleries and venturies, and such. How do i tell if my oil pressure regualtor is messed up?

Current Page: 8 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.