home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 09, 2017 06:09PM

Correct!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: November 09, 2017 06:46PM

sick............. love it man.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 09, 2017 08:35PM

Tis true.
Matt, I have never mentioned it before, but that two-tone is a very nice combo!thumbs up

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 09, 2017 08:49PM

Thanks guys!

And it runs well...to motivate Troy!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 12, 2017 03:48AM

Well, long saturday, got the starter rebuild kit, rebuilt the starter, put it in the car, left the key on, fried the ignition coil and the points, got new ignition coil and points, set timing, pumped the gas, cranked it over. Blam, blam blam, died, cranked it again, fired right up and idled Perfectly. Daaaayum, im sooooo happy, made everything worth it, turbo sounds sick, needs muffler as its just a straight pipe out of the turbo, and dayuuumm its loud. But anyway great day here for me, and just thouhgt id let everybody know that the beast that has been dead for 43 yrs, was just completely disassembled, by might i add "GRIN" a 16/17 yr old now, and put back together, and now runs beautifully.

Man it really makes all the money, blood, sweat, tears, and busted knuckles worth it after all.
smileys with beercool smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Party now i just have to see if the state of ohio is dumb enough to let me drive it on the road, aka register it.

Date: November 12, 2017 07:44AM

Congrats!

Posted by: corvairbusguy ()
Date: November 12, 2017 09:21AM

I just put up my corvair powered beetle for sale

Pete
Norfolk, VA
Tidewater Corvair Club
Volkswagen Club of Tidewater
Fullmoonbusclub.com

Date: November 13, 2017 06:18AM

Ok everybody, put on your diagnostic hats here.
I fire the engine up, and it makes a "tist" noise repeatedly, it sounds like air or something, like a small ticking noise. Is this a problem? Also the starter goes like wahm, wahm, wahm, wahm, "wuum" wohm, wohm, wohm. The "wuum" is a faster turn over of the starter, is this normal or does it mean i have some problem with compression, im worried that the "tist" noise and the "wuum" are from the spark plug i "fixed" and some air is escaping and causing the starter to turn over faster on the compression stroke of that cylinder.

Help, whats wrong here? Keep in mind this is my first car, and these noises could be normal, i just dont know.

Thanks

Date: November 13, 2017 07:41AM

Post a Video on Youtube.

Date: November 13, 2017 07:45AM

ok but what do you think could be wrong? Maybe just some ideas and stuff i can check out to see if their whats wrong??

Date: November 13, 2017 07:47AM

No idea until we hear it..

Date: November 13, 2017 08:12AM

Ok, ill do that tonight, maybe exhaust leak or something because dayuum its loud, but sounds/smells gooooooood
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 13, 2017 08:15AM

Sounds like a plan

Date: November 13, 2017 08:28AM

ok will do. Hopefully nothing major. at least it runs.smileys with beer

Date: November 13, 2017 02:45PM

Ok i think that we are burning a lot of oil, like so much that the cops actually came and gave me a worning, well we do live in a close neighborhood. But really uncalled for, probably no more mosquitos will even attempt to come near our house. If the turbo is burning a lot of oil, like dripping oil out of the exhaust pipe, im assuming that is not good and am wondering how to fix that. I installed a new turbine shaft seal so i dont think it is that but maybe, but anyway i will have to take the turbo off. My fancy new green shroud, in now coated with a fine mist of oil. Not cool. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 13, 2017 03:10PM

Are you using the stock turbo oil return line? If it is too small or restricted then oil can back up in the turbo and burn. Did you check the center housing where that turbine shaft seal rides? It has to be perfect - no nicks or gouging in order to seal properly. I assume you used the little plastic band to compress the turbine seal when installing. It's be difficult to get it in there without it.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 13, 2017 04:09PM

Yeah, the shop tag wire method in the shop manual is doable, but is an easy way to screw things up.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 13, 2017 05:36PM

Ok that sounds right, but i'll need to check the seal out but i think it is in the exhaust side because the oil is spitting from the turbo seal on the exhaust. I pulled some of the plugs and no carbon or soot on any of them. Im assuming its the exhaust seal but i belive i put it in right.

Any suggestions on what to do next, ill probably take the turbo out.

Date: November 15, 2017 08:21AM

I think i found the problem, there was so engine assy lube in the turbo. I took off both oil lines, in and out, and stuck an air hose in there and blew out a bunch of crap, black chunky junk. So hopefully that fixes it, cant tell right now as i just ran out of gas. Is there supposed to be a bunch, like a lot, of oil flowing through the turbo? Because i disconnected the oil in line, and cranked it over, and tons of oil comes out through it, maybe this is why its smoking as well?? What do you guys think??

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 15, 2017 08:43AM

There should be oil flowing for sure. The pressure will be higher when the motor is cold. What's your oil pressure? Possible to have too much if there's something up with the pressure regulator. Black chunky gunk inside the turbo journal bearing is not a good thing. If it were my turbo I would take it apart and clean that stuff out. And find out where black chunky gunk is coming from and clean that all out too. Have you dropped the oil pan to take a look? Could have a bunch of old sludge in the there.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.