home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 16
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:10AM

Ok so intall the cylinder head without gaskets, and rotate the engine over and measure the thickness of the putty/stuff.
Do i need to install the valve train?
Do i need to worry about damaging the heads by tightening them down without the gaskets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:29AM

No valve train.... just snug headnuts not torque..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 12, 2017 10:31AM

Ok will do after school today and get back to you.

Date: October 17, 2017 08:47AM

Ok i did not do that yet, but i am getting the pistons tomorrow (Sealed power) and bearings, and then ill take them to a machine shop to have them press fit the pistons. Does anybody know how to correctly remove the bearing from the housing in the turbo?? Along with the carbon seal and stuff?? For the life of me i cannot get the stupid thing apart, and dont want to break anything more, (EMBARASSED) i did not know that the nut was reverse threaded on the turbine and it snapped, 140 dollars later from jeff at cal corvairs, i got another one. But yah i really need to know how to remove the bearing to replace that and the carbon o-ring to completely rebuild the turbo.
Any help, tips, tricks, and pics showing how it is done for a dummy like me, will be greatly appreciated.

Date: October 17, 2017 10:50PM

Troy, buy a Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual for 1961,
The 1963-63 supplement covers the overhaul of the Turbo-Charger.
Full illustrations with step by step text takes you thru the entire process.
Illustrations even have helpful text added! Such as "Left Hand Threads"
right on the photo of the mechanic with his ratchet on the little nut!! grinning smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 18, 2017 05:43AM

would it be any different because mine is a 65 corsa turbo??

Date: October 18, 2017 06:01AM

OK, just buy the 1965 Corvair Shop manual instead.
Sorry, I was thinking you had the earlier Spyder engine...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 18, 2017 07:15AM

no worries, yah beggars cant be choosers, you know. As i got the engine for free from my uncle.

Date: October 18, 2017 07:55AM

exactly what i feel like right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
Date: October 19, 2017 05:30AM

Ok i took the pistons to the machine shop and they said it'll be 10bucks a piston, im fairly tight with my money and 60 bucks can buy a lot more stuff that just pressing in my piston pins. Is there anyway that i can do this myself with a hydraulic press, i dont have one but my friend does and he'll let me use it for no charge. I know you can heat the rods up then slide the pins in fairly easy, but is there any risk involved here? LMK what my best option is.

Date: October 19, 2017 07:53AM

Rods have to be heated!! otherwise they gall and will move when engine is hot.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 10:22AM by MattNall.

Date: October 19, 2017 07:59AM

so i should just take them to the shop?

Date: November 06, 2017 05:49AM

Ok update on the build, i got the engine in the car. Got it to fire once or twice, but i have spark, my arm still tingles, got fuel, and compression, but it wont run properly. Any suggestions?? Here are some pictures, i put in the new sealed power pistons and bearings. Ill post some more pictures in another post.

Attachments:

Date: November 06, 2017 05:54AM

some more pictures of the pistons and block and car, of course. And just fyi, dont rebuild the carb and turbo on the dining room table. The mom/dad/owner of the table and house, as im still living with my parents (im only 17), the parents get mad and stuff, but the carb works now!!!smileys with beer

Attachments:

Date: November 06, 2017 06:03AM

Oh and btw im the guy under the car side ways. The other is my buddy, boy genius with car wiring, which is helpful at my stage in the build and he helped put the engine in. Just so you all car now know what the guy behind all this madness somewhat looks like.

Attachments:
Date: November 06, 2017 06:44AM

Any help and tips are definitely appreciated, please help because im kinda freakin out because its soooooooo close to running, i found that the distibutor i put in wrong because it was firing on the intake stroke and blowing flames out the carb, pretty scary, so i took the distributor out on the point where it was firing on the first cylinder and on the tdc mark on the balancer, at the 0 mark on the cover. Then rotated the engine over once and put the distributor back in. Just a question the cover that goes around the rotor has a number one on it so i set it on the number 1, like in the sketch shows, should i go with that or check the timing completely agian, keep in mind i had this thing completely apart, dissassembled (the timing mark on the crankshaft takes forever to find, incase you dont believe me). Any advice anyone??? Please help im very frusterated and i have waaay toooo much money into this for it not to work.angry smileysad smileyconfused smiley

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Thank you

Troy W

Attachments:
Date: November 06, 2017 11:40AM

I think im going to check the timing and see how bad its off, should be 24 deg, BTDC because its a 65 corsa turbo. Anybody else have any better ideas??!

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 06, 2017 11:53AM

Not related to your problem but I see you are using a piece of blue silicone hose from the turbo to intake manifold. You don't want silicone there. The gas will eat it up and it will fall apart, possibly ingesting pieces into the engine. You want either neoprene or nitrile. Clark's sells the correct coupler but I have found a better material that costs significantly less and you can buy it by the inch.

[www.fillernecksupply.com]

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 06, 2017 12:14PM

Troy.. please slow down!! We all know the anticipation your are feeling!

Go back to the FAQ's and go thru "Installing the distributor"

Makes sure compression is pretty even on all 6....at least 130 psi... Don't worry about it being higher..

You say you have spark.... so forget the wiring and Distributor points, etc..

Check the idle mixture screw on the YH and make sure it's only 3/4 of a turn CCW from gentle seating.

Check fuel pressure!! You do not want more the 4 psi... most need to run 2-3 psi...

Yes timing is 24 BTDC and since there is no "timing Chain"..set it statically and lock it down and forget it...

Then report back.... on the engine ONLY....

Attachments:
Date: November 07, 2017 05:31AM

Nate wolfe,

The hose i got from cali corvairs so i hope its right, i had to cut it shorter to fit it properly.

Matt Nall

I got the distributor figured out and the engine started but blew out a spark plug, i guess its timesert time, any opinions on the best permanent way to fix that?? I set the timing but i guess i cranked it over for too long and the brushes fried. Annoying but after 50 some years of life and 43 or it sitting outside exposed to the elements id say it had a good go at it. (the starter that is). What do you mean by gentle seating, the spring or the screw itself. After i rebuilt the carb i checked the fuel pump, its getting fuel from point a to point b. Oh another question, does the idle mixture screw cause the carb to continueally pour gas out? I thought it was a stuck float, but it isn't. I think it may have been the fact that the throttle cable was pulling the throttle too far and not backing up on the idle speed screw. Ill have to fix that. Just one thing after another it seems, oh well i guess thats what happens when you try to do it as cheap as possible.

Current Page: 4 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.