Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 24 of 31
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:05AM

Do you have any welding experience? Just a thought, but many High Schools and CC's have evening welding classes. You can learn and get to use their equipment, which is normally better than you would buy for a home welder.

I bought a 110v Lincoln wire welder then later upgraded it to a mig.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:34AM

Troy, I remember you welding on your Cases for the stripped Head stud?

You are still in school....check on the evening classes...It seems most are ramping up " Trades / vocational" classes to fill the extreme need in this country.

Most "evening" classes seem to "hobby shop" and allow you to bring in a project..

When getting a Weld setup

You need a welder..... but to do nice clean welds... you need "shielding gas" and that's where to bottle comes in.. $$$$

Unless you have $500 to spend.... I'd get the cheapy HF unit with Fluxcore wire and go for it.... with practice I've seen some nice welds on sheet metal.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:48AM

yeah i welded the stripped hole with aluminium rods with a little dc stick welder. I know how to weld mig, and a little tig experience. I may have found a guy that will trade me for a 4x8 trailer that i got for free, for a big welder (mig). I might be able to do that, and then wont bother anyone else here for anything.

thanks

Troy W

Date: March 12, 2018 10:01AM

Why do you say "Bother" Are you reading others topics? This goes on all the time!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 12, 2018 11:34AM

ok true, but i thought it was supposed to be just corvair stuff, i guess.

Troy W

Date: March 12, 2018 11:41AM

Read the Rules.... ggg

Read the STICKYs

For sale WANTED FREE

Anything that helps with working on Vairs...even just engines... is fine.

Date: March 12, 2018 11:44AM

Ha, i guess you would know all about it, being a moderator.

Date: March 12, 2018 11:55AM

and being a member here 19 years... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 13, 2018 10:28AM

Troy, you are to be commended for doing your projects and asking questions. You know the old adage, the only stupid question is the one not asked. This forum, in my experience, is one of the most helpful. Very little judgement or negativity. Your talking to a lot of old timers with vast experience. They/we are actually eager to share that experience and knowledge with others. You'll understand when you get older! Until then, keep up the good work and stay a part of this forum. thumbs up

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: March 13, 2018 11:12AM

ok thank you all very much, i appreciate that an i really wish that somehow i could repay yall with my expericence, or lack thereof. JK anyway i hope to get that welder today. Thanks again, i wish yall the best and hopefully i can get the decklid done soon, im fabbing up one just for fun, and get it off to paint

Thanks

Troy W

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 13, 2018 11:54AM

Troy just keep posting your progress and asking questions. It is all good and you are doing well finishing the engine.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: March 14, 2018 07:50AM

thanks again all,

Ok i pulled the engine out, first taking the oil pan off and the oil pickup out, because then i put a 2x6 under the engine and jacked it up and the pickup would've got in the way and i didnt want to crush the oil pan. anyway i put the engine on jackstands and i have to replace the oil pan gasket, and i need to fix a stripped valve cover gasket bolt hole, and a quick question, which way does the valve cover bolt load spreader thing go on? The dimpled side in, or the side with the ends out and touching the valve cover (if that way on)? Sorry i dont know how to explain it but i have an old pic of it, maybe you tell me if that is the right way it goes on or not? Thanks

anyway im going to go through the engine and make sure everything is still tip top shape. Thanks again for all the help and tips

Troy W

Attachments:
Date: March 14, 2018 08:03AM

Those are reversed!

Date: March 14, 2018 08:17AM

ok thanks, do you know if there is any aftermarket or something kits, that go with a turbo that are headers that go into a x-over pipe?? Because i feel that the stock manifolds are very restricting and that the turbo would be better if it had headers....maybe not...?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: March 14, 2018 08:43AM

Sadly nothing available. But you really don't need it when running a basically stock engine.

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 14, 2018 08:50AM

The manifolds aren't what restricts stock turbo motors the most. It's the dinky yh carburetor. Put something bigger on and you'll see a dramatic difference but along with that comes the need to add other parts to keep the motor from over boosting.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 14, 2018 09:24AM

Headers equal more turbo lag and heat loss in a Vair turbo. You really need to change some other thing, before you play with larger exhaust.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: March 14, 2018 09:24AM

very true, what is the best adaptive carb for it?? I've seen webers but im not sure?? I know youd need a wastegate and BOV.... is the reason they dont have those stock is because GM limited the boost by the carb...essentially making it suck.

Date: March 14, 2018 09:25AM

that is also true J.O. i was also wondering if anyone on here has any used adapters for other carbs for the 180 turbo?

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 14, 2018 10:08AM

I've had progressive modified weber dcoe, holley 4 barrel, and currently quadrajet which is my favorite of the 3 so far. Others have used SU and stromberg carbs with success. No BOV needed if you're keeping it draw through. Waste gate yes and water/meth injection is a good idea as is electronic boost retard. You may want to go bigger on the exhaust if you're running higher boost like I am. Heads have 140 exhaust tubes and manifolds, larger crossover pipe.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Current Page: 24 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.