Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 22 of 31
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 23, 2018 08:15PM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see, might be something worth looking into.
> Thanks again.
>
> Do you (anyone) know if they charge more for YOM
> plates? Or is it not significant enough to make a
> difference.
>
> Thanks
>
> Troy

You'll have to check with Ohio BMV for the use of YOM plate.
The plate number is available, though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: February 26, 2018 06:12AM

I see thanks.

I am looking into making the nader hater into a electronically ingited machine....what is the best way to do this, a pertronix or not?? Im just wondering about that because it might help performance and stuff i guess??

I also realized that no one makes a EFI kit for a turbo engine that is anyway remotely cheap........

thanks

Troy W

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 26, 2018 07:33AM

Troy this is NOT meant to be advice only an opinion: If your engine is finally running well leave it alone for now. Put your money into the cosmetics and get your bug to look decent. Later when you have some extra money (and maybe another car to drive daily) then you can start changing and adding parts.

None of the FI stuff is cheap and regardless of what J3M constantly states; your engine will run fine on carb system. Mine have been doing just that since 1962 in all kinds of weather and road conditions.

Once again Troy only my opinion.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 07:34AM by steve c goodman.

Date: February 26, 2018 08:47AM

hey steve,

thanks for the opinion that's actually a good idea, im getting the body all sorted out now, and i probably should focus on one thing at a time, damn adhd,lol

anyway i think that you do have a good point, and it runs ok on it, sometimes hard to start becuz of flooding, i think, but other than that not too bad, ill probably paint it and then go gung-ho on it after all the cosmetics are done.

what do you think about getting an electric fuel pump and regulator, i think it'll probably help better starting, right? also on the turbo carb the pipes that connect to the base of the exhaust housing, what do they do exactly? Is it some sort of heat choke?

thanks again

Troy W

Date: February 26, 2018 09:15AM

Troy the tubes from the turbo base to choke hsng and air cleaner are to heat the choke coil as you suggest.

Changing pumps depends, if your stock pump is working good no reason to change. You should have already checked pressure because the YH is sensitive to high pressure. if your pump is over 3psi you probably have found your flooding problem. Some post here they find pressure as high as 9psi too. Buy Bob Helt's YH book for all insight into the YH. If done with patience and the correct parts and settings the YH will perform in a decent manner.

Bob is here just search author Bob Helt. He has several books that are well worth the money and good additions to your library.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 26, 2018 10:00AM

ok thank you

One question is your crown v8 one 3.0L, what engine does it have?

Date: February 26, 2018 10:28AM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
> ok thank you
>
> One question is your crown v8 one 3.0L, what
> engine does it have?

Troy my CROWN car is 300hp/327ci sbc. Look at v8 registry for lots of corvairs with v8 and v6 power.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 27, 2018 05:23AM

beastly

thanks

doing a bunch of body work, gonna take out the engine again just so i can get everything.

Troy

Date: February 28, 2018 08:46AM

Got a quick question for anyone who knows anything about it, ok im getting oil in the vents where the shrouds surround the exhaust manifolds, there is a little oil pooling there. I just had a brain wave, i know what this is coming from, the pcv breather air filter i put on the pcv breather tube that comes from the fan housing, i watched while the engine was running and there is a fine mist coming out of the filter. After i shut it off i looked closer at the little filter, and it is oozing with oil, so im assuming that this is where the oil is coming from, and getting sucked into the fan and down to the shrouds. Anyway would the best way to solve this be by installing the PCV system or just a oil catch can of some sort? Has anyone had any expirence with this happening.

I dont think it is very excessive blowby because when i open the oil fill tube when its running and there is only a little mist coming out? I think that rings have seated by now, and the valve problem is fixed now, and it was a loose valve, but now i dont know if the lifters are flat and are just acting like solid lifters. The only reason i wonder this is that some of the rockers i could push down on and there was a little give and came back up like hydraulic lifters are supposed to do, but on the ones i tightened there was little or no "mush" or give up and down on the lifters when i pressed on the rockers.

Does anyone have any expirence with this, if so, is there an easy way to fix lifters that have gotten flat or something like that??

Thanks

Troy W

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 28, 2018 09:16AM

Hook the PCV up to the intake like they did at the factory and your oil problem will be solved. The stock air cleaner has a barb for connecting the pcv and there is another small line that goes to the compressor housing on the turbo. You can put a catch can in line with the big line to collect the oil if you want but it isn't necessary.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: February 28, 2018 09:18AM

Ok i guess that would be the simplest way, but no offense, i think the bigger problem/question is the lifters, if you cannot push down on the rocker and the nuts are farther down the rocker studs than others, does that mean new lifters are needed??

thanks

Troy W

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 28, 2018 09:25AM

Or you have tightened them too far. Sometimes they can take a bit to fully pump up so if you are doing a hot adjustment and you back off until they start chattering, give them a little time before retightening.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 28, 2018 09:53AM

The main reason you/we need to, at times, do a hot running lifter adjustment is dirt and sludge inside the lifter. There is a little spring inside them the will expand or attempt to expand it to the maximum length. If its gummy, often times you will need the oil pressure plus the internal spring to expand it. This does mean the lifter is completely bad. Its just that cold method may not work.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: February 28, 2018 10:08AM

ok, sorry did you mean this does NOT mean that the lifter is completely bad? Sorry it would make more sense that way but idunno..

ill have to try and let them chatter for a while, ive read of some people jsut before an oil change running it with a quart or 2 of kerosene in the crankcase to clean everything out?? Is this a good idea, because im going to do a oil change today, along with changing the oil pan gasket, it finally went bad after 45+ years.....smiling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

THanks

Troy W

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:28AM

Its not the kerosene won't work, but it were me I'd do it with a can of SeaFoam. I few bucks but it will do a better job.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: February 28, 2018 11:39AM

ok, i will try that!!

thanks a lot

i will have to try that.

Troy W

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:08PM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
> ill have to try and let them chatter for a while,

I've had lifters that took a good 1/2 hour of driving to finally quiet down but then they stayed quiet for many, many months after that. The y only get noisy again if the car sits for a really long time. I don't get excited about changing them out unless they are still clattering after an extended drive.

The engine I just got sat for over four years. After three cold to hot sessions of letting it idle in the driveway for 15 minutes each time, they are now completely quiet.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Date: March 06, 2018 06:54AM

ok i will have to try that, but i'm finally breaking down and sending the car to a paint shop, if i did it myself and it looked good, hey what the heck its cool. But if it looks like crap ill be kicking myself forever, so might as well get it done properly anyway. I was wondering, i've been reading some stuff on here about it and im guessing that reversing the engine would be the best way to do it, and to be honest im going to take the engine back out when it goes to the paint shop and possibly replace the lifters, i think the problem is i used some cheapy chinese ones not good quality deep dimple lifters, but if i go to all the trouble of taking it apart to replace the lifters, i might as well replace the camshaft with a rev rotation one right? Ill have to flip the diff again but im looking into a super diff. Im a little worried that this transaxle will blow up if the gears are rotating backwards and seperating the gears forcing the ring and pinion apart and possibly wrecking the transaxle?? IM asking as that im really wondering, would it be a little more insurance to fix all that stuff or just leave it?? I would have to get a new starter, but what are the thoughts? Should i just drive it for fun for a while, no crazy driving, and if it breaks fix it properly??

I should've thought this through a little more before i did the build, but a little late now......... i have a vw starter and it would need a new gear on the starter drive, do they make such a thing??

LMK im looking for advice on this, and im really worried that something bad will happen, that will really suck to fix, so im thinking about preventative maintainance??

what are the general opinons on this?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: March 06, 2018 10:25AM

i might just be worring about nothing, ill just take it easy and hopefully sell it after having some fun, and get something better......late model turbo!!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 06, 2018 10:41AM

Troy...take the engine and transaxle out when the chassis goes to the body shop.

Now you can get a stand / crates to set the engine on... make it at least 36" tall..

Now you can start and run the engine!

I think you just do not know how to adjust the valves!

Spend some of this energy finding someone nearby who knows how...

The Corvair Valve system is the same a a 55-90's Chevy v8!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Current Page: 22 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.