home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 21 of 28
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:12AM

Ok i have a question, i havent taken the valve covers off yet, but i do think that is the case, a lifter ticking or something of that sort. Im wondering about the possiblity of that it could be a rod knock? Im not sure, and its kind of scaring me a little. I dont really want to tear the engine apart again,but.....

Anyway another wierd thing is that there is a little oil pooling in the exhaust manifold covers and i took it off and i cant really distinguish the source of the leak.....i dont think its the pushrod tubes because i got all new Viton seals for that to be sure that doesnt happen, and i greased them a little when i put them in so it wouldnt rip them, etc....

Could it be possible that a leak somewhere up top of the engine is getting blown down around and pooling in the exhaust air manifold covers, that point away from the car, if you are looking at the engine. Im kind of confused and am looking for help on what to do to check where the oil is coming from etc..

Thanks

Troy W

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:55AM

Troy, a Rod knock will go away when you ground the plugwire on that cylinder... easy test.

To check for a valve clattering

Start engine and warm up.

Pull valve cover on one side

Restart engine and let idle

Put a finger on the top of each rocker...one at a time

The valve that's clattering will make your finger jump....others will be smooth.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 20, 2018 11:37AM

Ok, do i pull off the plug wire with heavyily insulated gloves or pliers of something? ANd then it will go away, if it doesnt, which i hope, its just valves, ok ill test the rod thing first, to be honest, rod bearing replace ment on corvair engines is actually pretty easy, pull off top cover and fan, i still hope not tho....

Ok did i get the sequence right?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 20, 2018 11:45AM

Troy... are you running points? then pulling the wire at the Distributor cap is fine.

IF you are running an electronic points replacement the you can NOT do it that way..

You get an awl [ sharp point ] and run a ground wire from it's metal shank to the body.

Then poke the point into the boot on the cap for each Cylinder..

This is actually the easiest way to do it no matter what. [ 3 ft wire with Alligator clips on each end...AKA "Jumper wire" surely you have one already!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 20, 2018 11:49AM

Yup running points everything stock except for points inside, autozone or something, but yes. So itll work fine if i just remove the plug wire from the distributor?

Sounds good, is the rod knock when the play in the bearing "knocks" when the cylinder fires back onto the crankshaft?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 20, 2018 12:27PM

Correcto! on both items!

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 20, 2018 12:37PM

I agree with Matt mostly, but I always just ground one wire anymore. If you are normally to doing that way, then you are less apt to do it wrong when you are working with an electronic ignition. Secondly, and these are only "maybe's" If you have an old coil that is getting weak, you may cause it to jump the internal windings and things will go down hill from there. Also, if you happen to be where it is humid, you can begin to form a carbon track in the distributor cap. These things are PITA to find and will only get worse once started.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 20, 2018 12:56PM

The existence of this thread inspires me to begin documenting the transformation of my own 65 into something that I hope will be special. Cool.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Getting there.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: February 21, 2018 05:20AM

ok well i did it the wrong way, i guess, lol.
Anyway its just valvetrain i believe because when i took them off one at a time, it kind of bogged a little but still ran, and still ticked, so that gives me the indication that it is valve train.

a picture just to show the world of corvair enthusiasts that it is coming together, however slowly.

thanks again

Troy W

Attachments:
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 21, 2018 06:44AM

Can't wait to see the custom engine cover you will make! Beware other VW's and Porsches.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: February 21, 2018 06:48AM

this is the rear cover that i will have to modifiy to fit, but it was part of the kit that my uncle bought, a fiberglass part that fits over the engine, slopes out and is a little boxy.

Why should i worry about other vws and porsches?? They should look out for me, right? JK !!!

thanks

Troy W

Attachments:
Date: February 21, 2018 09:16AM

Im also going to use that license plate as well, mainly because its cool, and because its rusted to the bracket..........ggggg

anyway im glad its not a rod knock, but im hopeing that i can adjust the valves while running to get it figured out properly?? Would that be the best way?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 21, 2018 09:45AM

Troy I just told you how to do it... running.... just remember you won't be adjusting all of them... just the ones that make your finger jump

Date: February 21, 2018 10:04AM

ok, sorry i forgot, what do i do for the one thats clattering, do i tighten it a certain amount?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 21, 2018 10:10AM

1/4 turn in and see if it stops... if it doesn't... tighten another 1/4.

Date: February 21, 2018 11:24AM

ok thanks

will do

Troy W

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 22, 2018 06:39PM

I remember when those license plates were issued. Not new anymore, eh?
Clean it up a little and have it as a YOM plate!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: February 23, 2018 05:32AM

Yes that is a bonus, its the same year as my car!! Bonus, do you know if you have to pay extra for those? Im assuming that you do but i dont know for sure?

Thanks, it really does look cool, if you ever see a beetle with that license plate, its either me, or somebody stole my car.....

Troy W

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 23, 2018 06:07AM

You might be able to have that plate refurbished. When I lived in Georgia, there was a guy who restored GA plates at very reasonable prices.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: February 23, 2018 06:15AM

I see, might be something worth looking into. Thanks again.

Do you (anyone) know if they charge more for YOM plates? Or is it not significant enough to make a difference.

Thanks

Troy

Current Page: 21 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.