home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 16
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 28, 2017 08:03AM

Time for a BigCert..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: September 28, 2017 10:01AM

Basically im going to try to weld it again because i didnt thread the stud all the way, need to tap it all the way this time. Oh any advice on the pressure retard/vacuum advance
what would it be on my motor, corvair corsa turbo '65?

How would i tell if mine works? Its quite rusty but i can move the armature going into the end.

Advice, tips and tricks are appreciated.

Thank you very much MattNall!!!!!!

Date: September 28, 2017 10:30AM

To test the Pressure retard...

Find a low pressure and regulated air supply....

Slowly apply 1-6 psi and watch for the ARM to move out and in slowly and smoothly as pressure is changed.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 28, 2017 11:10AM

So it would have a pressure retard? Not a vacuum advance? What exactly is the diff?

Date: September 28, 2017 11:30AM

We have no idea what you have ....unless we see a closeup pic.. or Number

Press. Ret. / Turbo canisters have a hose barb on the end and the ARM is extended

Vac. Adv. have just a smooth tube

To test a VA just suck on the tube and see if the arm pulls in.... then put tongue on end of tube and see if it holds...

To find out what your VA actually does at different inches of HG [ mercury]..... you need something like a "Mighty-Vac".

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:04PM

Troy, make certain that your 1973 SUPER does not have the FRONT END steering wheel shimmy at speed (comes in somewhere between 50mph and 65mph on SUPER BEETLES with RUST and or accident daMage or rust weakened/metal fatigue FRONT STRUT mount and structure)

Old Super Beetles with RUST or accidents are notorious for this.
The front body metal is so very structural in the SUPER BEETLE. This is not the case with the Standard Beetle with its tubular front end with ball joints('66-'77 Beetles). On the Standard Beetle you can replace the whole front end assembly with a new one, and its so inexpensive. The Standard Beetle's front body metal isn't structural like the SuperBeetle's is. On the SuperBeetle, you have NOTHING EXCEPT the body sheet metal area that the MacPherson Struts attach on to. You can see that becomes a huge problem if RUST, ACCIDENT DAMAGE, metal fatigue from combination of rust and accidents over the years.
Sometimes it doesn't occur if front wheels are true, round and straight(RELATIVELY NEW) and those front wheels are PERFECTLY BALANCED, but even with perfect balanced front wheels that are in good shape, if the SUPER has minimal rust or minor accident tweaking in the front, you could get a case of the SuperBeetle Steering Shimmy Blues at highway speed.
It isn't a problem with standard Beetles.
If something gets tweeked or damaged or worn on a standard Beetle front end, heck you can replace the entire front end for next to nothing in cost with all brand new front end. with the SUPERBEETLE, you're essentially up S Creek without a paddle, though some folks have solved the problem with a helper brace from strut tower mount to strut tower mount, something that looks like the Export Brace that was available/is available for '64-'66 Mustangs.
If your SUPER doesn't have this problem, you are fine unless you have a front end fender bender or drive it in winter on salted roads. POR-15 should stabilize the existing structure on your SUPER where you won't ever worry about degredation from rust. Just have no front fender benders in your SUPER and you won't have the SHIMMY problem. You could see Shimmy from Wheel Balance issues but if YOU AREN'T EXPERIENCING any Shimmy currently in your SUPER, YOU WILL NOT GET the shimmies if RUST is kept away and no front fender benders. You'll know that possible future shimmy issues are simple wheel balance, wheel roundness/true issues that only SUPERS are sensitive to. Those are easily solved.
The other structure/metal fatigue issue is definitely not easily solved.

Date: September 29, 2017 05:52AM

I found out by testing it on my air compressor, set on 10psi, it slowly and smoothly moves out, and yes it has a hose barb on the end. Thank you

Troy W

Date: September 29, 2017 05:55AM

I see J3M thank you for the information, ill see after i get it in the car whether or not it has any problems, it has no, i mean no, rust on the car at all. The guy i got it from was doing a full on ground up resto, had a stroke, and sold it to me.

The body was off the pan, insane condition for a car, especially in ohio, where im at.

Thank you all for the feedback, some pics are on the way from my phone to computer.

Troy W

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: September 29, 2017 06:07AM

Please post a picture of the hole where the stud pulled out. You really should not be welding on the case there as the extreme heat can distort the case.

Lee J

Date: September 29, 2017 06:28AM

Oh i already fixed the the hole again, i just barely welded it at low temp and cooled it off quick and redrilled and tapped it all the way this time, it torqued down properly and i loctited it good and proper. It should be fine, the cylinder head went on fine, but i forgot to put engine assy. lube on the piston i had to take out to weld the hole. And the engine wouldnt turn over with a breaker bar. So i have to re disassenble it and lube it up proper this time, damn im geting good at this after doing it some many times, but apparently not good enough. Now just waiting on the front cover gasket then i can see if she runs. smileys with beerdrinking smiley

Date: September 29, 2017 06:39AM

here is some pics of the engine

Attachments:

Date: September 29, 2017 06:40AM

some more pics
looks a little different than the before pics huh??

Attachments:

Date: September 29, 2017 06:41AM

You guys know you like the sheetmetal repair job!drinking smileysmileys with beersmoking smiley

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: September 29, 2017 07:34AM

You really should be using a Timesert to repair stripped head stud threads in the case. I am not sure if you damaged the area where it stripped out. But low temperature welding does not work on Aluminum. Typically an aluminum repair is best accomplished with a high amperage tig welder.

Lee J

Date: September 29, 2017 08:07AM

Well it fixed it and it torqued down to spec. and held when i torqued the valve rocker nut? Everything held nicely and worked so far. I say if it torqued to spec then probably dont worry about it? What do you think? If i did damage the area, what happens now, i just welded it with stick welder with aluminium electrodes? It seemed to work well? You kinda scared me now.

Date: September 29, 2017 08:21AM

Engine is "Looking great" As far as the repair....only time will tell..

"Torque to spec"? Most only torque to 30 ft. lb. today...

Date: September 29, 2017 08:34AM

Only 30 ft lbs? Oh i tighten them suckers in there so that they WILL NOT come out or strip out, loctite is my best friend. What do you mean by "most only torque to 30 ft lbs"? People or thats as much as the studs can handle? Hope to have it fired up soon, had to modify the oil return line, as you can see, because its a different head, not a stock turbo head. Does the return line have constant pressure? I press fitted the return line in the head, from an old oil pan pickup line, works suprisingly well, and im wondering if there needs to be a high pressure hose between the oil line in the head, and the return line from the turbo? Ill probably get some hi pressure line and just hose clamp it on there good and proper.

Date: September 29, 2017 08:37AM

Age and heat cycles have softened the Aluminum.....30 works! 60 year old manual says 35?? Time has changed many things!

Date: September 29, 2017 08:44AM

Once i get the front cover gasket, i then can assemble it completely and check the timing, once i get that complete, i then can attached the shrouds and put the turbo intake manifold on and basically fully assemble the engine, hopefully for the last time.
any tips for setting the timing?

Date: September 29, 2017 09:03AM

Check our FAQ's for your # distributor setting and go for it..

Static timing is fine.... no timing chain in a Vair!

Current Page: 2 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.