Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 10 of 31
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: November 21, 2017 05:25AM

Ok thanks for the info. I took the turbo off, and it looks as if the turbo is leaking oil into the intake side and if that is true that would explain the slight misfire. But the weird thing is why would the come out of the turbine side too, as the seal is fine but the turbo seems to be leaking out of that side as well?? I have no idea, what are some suggestions on what i should do now, just replace all the seals and then give it a shot??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 21, 2017 07:25AM

The carbon seal on the intake is fragile. The sealing surface has to be perfect. If there are chunks missing it can leak. They can also leak if there just isn't enough carbon material left - as in they are worn out. There is also a small o ring inside the carbon seal assembly that I can pretty much guarantee will be leaking if it is old and has not ever been replaced. The outlet side of the turbo can leak where the turbine seal rides in the center housing. That surface has to be perfect. I see gouges in that surface from when people try to install the turbine without the proper retainer on the turbine seal and jam it into the aluminum, damaging it. Perhaps you should send that turbo to an expert for a proper reseal.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 21, 2017 08:51AM

I have been able to refurbish several carbon seals by placing a piece of 800 wet/dry on a piece of plate glass. Sand in a light circular motion and inspect your progress often, like every 5 seconds or so.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 21, 2017 09:19AM

That's assuming you have enough material left to resurface them. I have done the same thing but others are too worn to be able to resurface. And yes, sand very very lightly! It doesn't take much to sand through that carbon.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 21, 2017 10:11AM

Wait what do i sand? There is a loose/not really but wiggle able piece inside on the carbon seal, im assuming thats what it is called, the aluminium circular piece sort of con shaped? Ok anyway that semi moveable piece in the middle, is there any way to replace those and how do i know if that is bad? Im thinking that that is the problem.
Do you have any pictures of what exactly one should look like?

Thanks alot for the help yall its greatly appreciated and used.

Date: November 21, 2017 12:06PM

This is why I'm saying you should send that turbo to someone who knows them inside and out and can immediately point out problems. You have to carefully disassemble the carbon seal assembly to get the carbon seal out. And also to replace the small o ring in there that is always bad. There are no new replacements available for the center piece. Clark's carries a new replacement assembly with a different style carbon seal that is not interchangeable with the old ones. And it's a bit pricey. Looking at the little black carbon seal, you should see a nice, flat surface with no gouges or chunks missing. Over time it wears down and the height of the seal goes down. If you're in there I would put a new thrust washer(or sand the wear out of yours with very fine grit sand paper on a flat surface) in if you haven't already and resurface the carbon seal if it is needed. If the o ring in the carbon seal has never been replaced, it will definitely need it. The original ones are rubber and they get hard, lose their shape, and leak. The replacement o ring should be viton. To disassemble the carbon seal I use a large socket and place the carbon seal side down onto the open side of the socket then use a small socket on the top side and tap it out with a hammer. Once it's out you will see the o ring and spring. If you do resurface the carbon seal, go very slow and gentle. I use 1500 grit sand paper. It doesn't take much at all.

I rebuilding a turbo right now and it was leaking oil all around the carbon seal. The o ring was completely gone and the carbon seal doesn't have any damage but is so worn down that I won't reuse it. The guy gave me another turbo for parts in case I need it and the carbon seal inside that one was bad too. Needless to say I'm installing a new assembly.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: November 22, 2017 06:20AM

Yes i checked that and there was a few small nicks that got lightly sanded out, and buffed up all nice but dayum that dust gets everywhere.

It worked well so far and when i hooked up the air compressor to the turbo in the oil inlet fitting, after filling it with oil just to seal it up like it would be, it didnt leak at all up to the max of my HF air compressor, 125 psi. Id say it works. Hopefully the seal wont leak any more and now that i realized that oil was leaking into the intake side, that explains the misfire ocassionally, and why it wasnt idleing right. This all makes sense now, but strangely the weird compression leak or something is back, as the starter is speeding up as it passes the bad cylinder. Im going to HF to purchase one of their compression testers, or should i get one of their leak down testers?? What do you guys think?

Also i found that HF has fricking cheap and loud air horns so im going to get one of those as well as the aoooghaa, one thats on the car right now. smiling smiley Epic love cheap HF crap.

LMK what is the best to get Leak down tester or Compression tester? Thanks

Troy

Date: November 22, 2017 06:21AM

Thank you all for the advice, and i believe i fixed the carbon seal, no little nicks or anything now.

Gonna get either a leak down tester or Compression tester from HF? What is better?

The starter speeds up again as it passes the bad cylinder.

Date: November 22, 2017 06:35AM

Oh and another thing, what is the proper compression PSI for my engine a 65 corvair corsa turbo with 95 cylinder heads. What should it be around?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 22, 2017 08:26AM

About 95 plus % of us probably have a compression tester. I've had mine since I was your age. I would say less the half own a leak down. I only got LD a few years ago thanks to HF low prices. There is good chance your machine shop guy would loan or rent his leak down.

I would look for 150 psi to 180 psi and consistency. You want a fully charged battery and both the choke and throttle blocked WIDE open.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 27, 2017 06:03AM

Ok finally i believe i fixed the oil leak. Might still be a slight one in the turbo, cant tell for sure as its cold here and looks like its smoking anyway, but the misfire is gone..........it idles amazing.............i sounds amazing........dayumm when that turbo kicks in, it screams like a bat out of hell dude. It sounds soooo amazing, and i still cant believe that i actually disassembled and put back together and it actually runs, and same with the tranny, disassembled and it works all gears and reverse. Especially after 43 years of sitting under a tarp in cleveland ohio at my uncles house just waiting for me to come and rescue it, i mean think of what that engine would have been thinking all those years, "When am i going to be saved,? what is happening to me, i have been dead for longer than i have been alive" Literally it ran for 8 yrs, was pulled and sat for 43.

Im pretty sure that the problem with no compression in one cylinder is a badly adjusted valve, so i will take the covers off tonight and find the problem child.
Wish me luck, and thanks for all the help and motivation, dont worry im not done yet so there will be more q's and pics soon hopefully.

And yesterday i bangshifted through all the gears just to prove everybody wrong that said that the vw tranny wont be able to take it, and it still works perfect, actually probably better as it doesnt stall or have any problems starting up at all. So anybody who wants to do a vw swap with a corvair, do it with the top of the line HP 180 with 95 heads and some other little mods here and there, and dont listen to anybody who tells you that it wont work because it will, i drive/drove mine like it owed me money and it still works great. Take apart your tranny and get it shot peened and hardened by a machine shop, youll pay a little for it but it WILL be worth it.

Moral of this story is, dont rush and do things halfassed and do them right and spend the extra money to buy a little "insurance" that your car will last a long time.

Thanks again, and as usual tips, tricks, and comments are appreciated.

Troy W

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2017 07:58AM

Way to go!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 27, 2017 08:03AM

Thanks ill see if i can get a video somehow of it running. As it is running there is a slight "tick" which i think is just the bad adjusted exhaust valve? Am i right or could it be something worse?

Date: November 27, 2017 10:13AM

I found a temp sender that looks like it might work.
Looks cheaper than normal thermistors.

LMK what yall think about this??

Attachments:
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 27, 2017 10:30AM

Those won't work with factory Spyder or Corsa gauges.

Clark's now sells a new replacement sender for those gauges for about $150.00.

[www.corvair.com]

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: November 27, 2017 10:47AM

Troy... What METER do you have in your 1973 VW Beetle? That makes the difference!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 27, 2017 11:00AM

I have no meter im buying all new ones as i have no dash it didnt come with one.
Im going to probably get a special gauge/temp because its higher temps than normal engines as its air cooled.

As said it wont work with the corsa or spyder gauges. I dont have either one and am wondering which to get as its going to be completely unstock and homemade fabricated dash.
So i guess my question is this the cheapest/most reliable for money value product to get and which temp gauge should i get if i do get this sender from westach??

Thanks for the Advice everyone

Troy W

Date: November 27, 2017 11:18AM

Then you buy a Meter with Senders!

For the near future... look under Cyl. #1 and # 6

Do you see something screwed into the heads? Normally just under #1 except on factory 140 hp 4 carb and 150 /180 Turbo engines... they will have the 2nd under #6.

Tell / show us what you find...

One style is just a temp sensitive "snap switch" and can be wired to a light in the dash..... this is what ALL Corvair vehicles came equipped with.

Under the #6 was a Thermister... which looks like a miniature spark plug...

These are worth $75 < used / working..

Here's a dual 2" gauge for $55
[www.aircraftspruce.com]

Thermocouple 4ft Sender wire with 14 mm Sparkplug rings are $13.50 but you can make your own by just buying TC wire of the correct type.
[www.aircraftspruce.com]

Date: November 27, 2017 11:37AM

Ok i see.
Thanks i have the snap switch, broken the male end broke off of the electrical connnector on the top. I have the thermistor but the little threaded piece on the top broke off and wont solder on to it at all. Annoying. Is the spark plug thermocoupler the best way to do it properly. Or the sender from westach would be better??

What is your opinion on it?

Date: November 27, 2017 11:50AM

With all that....

1 the Snap switches are only $35 and will alert you if temp is too high..
[www.corvair.com]

2 Quit talking senders.. and there is no "BEST WAY" it's all personal preferences.. And the Sender / sensors are sparkpklug rings...but the wires are too short.

Current Page: 10 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.