home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 20 of 21
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 09, 2018 04:30PM

Hope you get better soon Troy.
It is fun following your build.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: February 09, 2018 05:54PM

thanks a lot, i hope i get better soon too. and Matt, what do you mean "CARB??" add a regulator?

Sorry i dont really understand, maybe you or someone else could give me some pointers on how exactly to get it tuned properly, there is a small 1/4 in pipe that runs from the turbo to the carb, im not exactly sure what this does, but it isnt in place yet, yet because i have it but am too lazy to put it on

Thanks

TroyW

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 09, 2018 06:06PM

For your Carburetor problem... you may hive fuel pressure problems..

If you buy an Inline regulator..you can reduce the pressure!

[www.ebay.com]

and a gauge

[F8AAOSwc-tY23oU" rel="nofollow" >www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 06:08PM by MattNall.

Date: February 12, 2018 06:36AM

Ok i was wondering, are the YH carbs really simple to tune, is that why you might be inclined to think that it is a fuel problem?? FYI im better now and my brother got sick, which is not exactly a good thing but i can stay home from school....and work on my car, which may sound a little crude, and might be, but do not think that i dont appreciate him for what he is, even if that is a reason to stay home from school...winking smiley JK

thanks again, i had initially thought it may have been a fuel problem, because it would puff black smoke when the throttle was depressed, thankfully the only smoke the engine is emmitting.

I also would like to personally thank MattNall, Jjohnsonjo, American Mel, Steve C Goodman, thewolfe, spectre, leon, and all those who i didnt mention that helped me with figuring everything out.

Thanks again

Troy W

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 12, 2018 07:51AM

Your symptom is classic..

and you are welcome!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:03AM

Troy a YH carb can be made to work very well BUT it usually isn't an easy time.

You need Bob Helts' book on YH first and read it carefully several times. The small float is sensitive to high fuel pressures. Search on the forum and you will find constant references to controlling pressure limits. Various other common faults are improper rod height/accel diaphragm leaking/diaphragm cover warped/incorrect float level/various vacuum leak points and more. For a carb to have so few parts inside; the YH is one of the most detail oriented carbs you will find.

Don't quit you have a running engine it just needs attention to small details and PATIENCE. Oh to echo Matt: you are welcome. All of the readers here want you to succeed.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 12, 2018 08:10AM

Ok thank you again, unfortunately i cannot repay you with helpful advice or anything of that such, but possibly, just possibly, i may be able to make your day less boring, at least with my police encounters and such.

Thanks

Troy W

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:17AM

We're just happy you are getting it running. I've always like old VW's, and my dream car is a Porsche 911. I guess I have a thing for rear engined cars.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: February 12, 2018 10:09AM

yup thanks again, Old VW's i think are so cool, because they are so simple, yet so intricate, if you know what i mean, and they are so easy to work on. Only so much can go wrong with so simple designs and the little amount of parts.

Well anyway thanks again, hopefully it can get all figured out soon.

BTW you are not the only person whose dream car is a porsche 911, i personally rode in a 993 targa, the last air cooled engine made by porsche, 3.6 liter, and dang it was very spunky. Ok the 993 isnt a 911 but its the same body style just a little later made, 90's.

Thanks

Troy W

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 12, 2018 11:02AM

For Christmas 2016, my wife bought me 1.5 hours of track time with an instructor in a 911 Carrera 4S. That was a blast!

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 12, 2018 11:06AM

You are most Welcome Troy.
It is a pleasure hearing of the progress you are making.
As you make that progress, you are also gaining Experience.
The day will come when another newbie joins the forum with a question and you will be the one that says, . . . . . . .
"I had that problem once, and this is how I solved it . . . . "
That is the day you will have payed back any imagined debt you have. thumbs up

Troy said,
"yup thanks again, Old VW's i think are so cool, because they are so simple, yet so intricate, if you know what i mean, and they are so easy to work on. Only so much can go wrong with so simple designs and the little amount of parts."

Yup, we know what you mean.
You could swap out "Old VW's" for Corvairs and the statement would be just as true.
Someday, you will catch the disease and become a full Corvair convert!
I am just wondering, will it be an EM or a LM?
I guess we will just have to wait and see.cool smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: February 12, 2018 03:30PM

Ha, Hey one step at a time right?? Gotta start out with what you can afford, and what doesnt try to kill you, "at any speed" Anyway, i think that it probably would be a later model turbo, i think once you go turbo you dont go back?? ggg... Whatever is cheaper and in the best condition for the money spent. Basically with my car i believe i got a good deal, no rust, no engine, no problems, right? Anyway i threw 600 bucks at the guy and signed the title over and got the heck out of there.

One more thing, is it possible to do a wheelie in a corvair, i know it is in a corveetle, or the "NADER HATER" as its appropriately named, because after long hours of research, mainly hands on, i found out if you let out the clutch get to about where the car is idling normally but moving, and mat the gas it will hook up and shake a little but raise the front off the ground about a foot, mission accomplished, and basically i can now sell the car as ive had all the fun i need to have with it............not quite but close, i wanna max out the speedometer too, but that may be debatable.

Anyway thanks again

Troy W

Date: February 12, 2018 03:49PM

Troy I suggest you start looking for a CROWN BEEF A DIFF and 930 CV joints. Trying to lift the front end will only result in broken parts/a disabled car/more money spent.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 12, 2018 03:54PM

ok you may have a good point but do these parts fit into the transaxle i got, just a standard IRS transaxle, running reverse, everyone tells you you cant do it with irs, well baby i did. I had to special order a double side cover transaxle case for it, but that is besides the point.

Anyway where do i get a beef a diff, is it similar to a SUPER DIFF??

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 12, 2018 04:31PM

CROWN offered beef a diff and super diff as well as other race proven VW transaxle parts. Yes parts fit your IRS transaxle. CROWN has been gone for years but off-road racing suppliers are around. Pretty pricy parts, easier to show a little love to your car and treat it better.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 14, 2018 05:20AM

ok, ill look into that, are the 930 cv joints heavier duty or what? Is that why you are reccommending them?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 14, 2018 06:11AM

Tongue-in-cheek comment about 930 CV joints Troy. Google 930 Porsche to understand the torque of the early turbo engine.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 14, 2018 06:50AM

ok, would it be a necessary as a tougher diff? Would that be something that could be done later, cuz i just rebuilt all the CV joints and got new rubber covers for them.

im thinking about getting a super diff or something similar, what would be the direct benefit of that being that there would be more power to the ground, and less one-wheel-wonder??

Sorry im not completely understanding what the benefits are exactly.

Troy

Date: February 14, 2018 07:35AM

Troy in short the benefits of having stronger parts is so things don't break as easily when you are heavy footing your pedals.

On the other hand I had a 71 type 1 baja bug for years with a reverse turning turbo Corvair hanging out the back. I never NEVER had gearbox troubles with it and I even pulled a small utility trailer behind it because I don't own a pickup. I never had clutch troubles either. I had front suspension lowered and smaller tire/wheel combo on the front because I wanted to keep the front on the ground. I simply didn't abuse the car because I depended on it to get me where I was going.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 14, 2018 07:47AM

Yes, i'm not planning on abusing the car, because of the same reason, my only car, and that i dont really need to put more work into it. Im hoping to get a little mig (used from pawn shop) and finish up the body work, because the little stick welder i have just doesnt cut it, takes too long and requires too much work.

Thanks again, i also lowered the front of the car as well, about 3-4 in off the ground
Troy

Current Page: 20 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.