home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 19 of 21
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: February 01, 2018 11:53AM

ok i got this right....
plugs out, inch pounds torque wrench, do i have to take the fan belt off to create less drag?

Other than that i'll give it a go, probably can rent one at autozone along with a macpherson spring compressor.

Thanks

Troy W

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 01, 2018 11:54AM

Belt off would be good..as you are just checking internal friction.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 01, 2018 11:57AM

ok ill do that, it should be in the inch pounds range of about 13? I was going to say when someone said on here before 25 ft lbs and work up, there's no way that can be with the plugs in. Anyway if its above 13 there is a problem??

thanks

Troy W

Date: February 01, 2018 12:07PM

Depends on How much over....

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 05, 2018 12:23PM

Ok everything is all good now, engine runs good little lifter tick that is annoying the heck out of me, how do i fix that?? Anyway i found out after some research, my own, that if you drop the clutch in first and mat the gas, it roasts the tires for as long as you want.........this being said i havent tried shifting mid-burnout but i might.....

anyway just thought id give you all an update, and the neighbors are still pissed if not even more...ggggggg

anyway any tricks for silencing noisy lifters??

it runs good, doesnt smoke, fires on all cylinders makes almost 35-40 oil pressure at 2000k and is just an overall beast....the fun part of the project right??

Thanks again for all the support and advice, its all worth it.

ill try to get some pics up soon, but it doesnt look like much now.

Troy W

Date: February 05, 2018 12:47PM

Finally! Would be nice if you told us what you found out was the starting problem...

A lifter tick... just adjust that lifter 1/8 of a turn more!

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 05, 2018 12:54PM

OR just drive it sanely for a few miles and see if it pumps up/quiets down.

My cars always have had noisy exhaust systems but I drive gently out of my neighborhood for two reasons: 1 allows some warm up of the engine and 2 my neighbors all wave as I go by (using their entire hand).

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 05, 2018 01:28PM

Starting problem was, im not really sure, i got the starter and engine in the car and hooked it up and viola it started, im guessing it may have been because of the long jumper cables cause volrtage drop or amp loss, whatever, anyway its all in the car and works, now.........nooooooo.....bodywork!!!

steve, love the 1 allows some warm up of the engine and 2 my neighbors all wave as I go by (using their entire hand).

HAAAHAHAHAHAH

thanks

troy

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 05, 2018 03:20PM

Yes Troy, remember, . . . .
Never poop in your own front yard !

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: February 08, 2018 05:21AM

Ha,

hey im open to suggestions because apparently it got deemed by the family, "obnoxiously loud" What is the best turbo muffler to put on it that will still sound rumbly and can still hear the turbo. Another weird thing i found out after just letting my car idle for a while, probably 10 mins, after i shut it off the turbo started to make a crackling/popping sound not unlike boiling water, only a little slower, it went away after about 3 mins. It was really weird and it has done this more than once.

Some insight to my problems will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 08, 2018 07:31AM

Muffler sound is difficult to describe or give help to someone because noises are pleasing/loud to different ears. What muffler is on the car now??

The cracking noise is common when anything metal is cooling down after being at
high temps. EGT is 1200+ degrees when running through the turbo.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 08, 2018 09:59AM

Ok makes sense, there is no muffler on the turbo right now, just straight pipe running down from exhaust outlet on turbo on down. Pointed straight at the ground, there is no muffler and i probably should put on on there.

Thanks again, im not sure whether to go the cheap route of glasspack, or a thrush turbo muffler, anybody had expirence with turbo mufflers?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 08, 2018 10:16AM

Try a straight-thru first... I run one and it's fine... but total system length may make a difference!

Date: February 08, 2018 10:17AM

The original "Turbo Muffler" was a GM design specifically for the Corvair.
They are pretty free flowing, and have a nice rumble to them without annoying the neighbors too badly.
Although my neighbor when I was a kid threatened to call the cops on me because my turbo muffler was too loud in his opinion.
The next time I was in town I flagged down a cop and asked him if it was too loud.
He liked it!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:19AM

A straight through muffler would be the best choice on with a turbo. Cheap glass pack won't be much quieter than what you have now. I have a straight through magnaflow on my car and it has a nice rumble. People can hear me coming but it's not obnoxiously loud.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: February 08, 2018 02:53PM

The only problem with using a 'normal' turbo style muffler is the fact it is hanging off the side of the engine in plain sight. I have used round glass pack style muffler and a turned down extension and found them pretty quiet; especially when compared to a very short open exhaust.

Another factor is using common courtesy Troy. DO NOT blast around your neighborhood. A loud car is the same as a barking dog, folks don't like it. Try to respect those around you.

To get back on their good sides I would suggest mowing their yards/clearing snow from their sidewalks and smiling while waving as you pass by them on the street at a normal speed. gggg

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: February 08, 2018 03:08PM

Exactly what Steve says.
If your neighbors think you are cool, they will eventually think your car is cool.
Just don't be BRRRRap'in through your neighborhood at 1:30am!

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 08, 2018 06:11PM

My car has a Borla, which is not quite straight through... inlet and outlet are
shifted a small amount. To give you an idea about "loudness" and sound, watch
the video Corvair Turbo EFI test startspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: February 09, 2018 02:11PM

Hey thanks all,

sorry i hope i didnt convey the fact that my neighbors hated the loud exhaust, they just found it rather annoying, i guess, i have no idea why??tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway i think that most of the neighbors actually like it except for the odd one..... this being said i do our next door neighbors driveway when it snows, every time she pays me she asks me, "hows the car, whens it going to be able to drive on the road, and when can i get a ride in it? My son had a beetle just like that..." Keep in mind that this is coming from a 94 yr old woman whose husband died 14 years ago. If only everyone was like her, im sure the world would be a better place. smiling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyway ill probably get some sort of turbo through type muffler and pipe it out and put a tip on it or something. As it is right now the exhaust is running straight down at the ground and sprays water all over, or at least a non smelling substance very like water, and im happy to report that the turbo is not smoking at all anymore, and now the only hold up to getting it road legal is bodywork, and tuning the dadgummed carb, is there anything more annoying than a YH carb to tune?? Might not be a bad idea to invest in Bob Helt's book.

When i rebuilt the carb it was to a fairly well descriptive manual provided in the kit from Rafee at corvair1. I thought i had everything all good but sometimes its hard to start and when revving it smokes decently. Im assuming a sign of richness, unfortunately the car is the only one here that has that i guess. smiling smiley

Thanks again, no more work on the car for a while now as im fighting stupid influenza a, which is one of the closest things to hell that ive experienced. No pain meds will get rid of the fever and constant headaches are, well, constant.

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 09, 2018 03:13PM

Carb?? make sure you ONLY have 2-3 psi pressure! / add a regulator.

Current Page: 19 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.