home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 18 of 28
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:37AM

Forget it!! Turbo doesn't work unless under load.... then is doesn't "scream" it "Whines"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:40AM

Mine whistles

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:43AM

Troy in neutral gear use your torque wrench on crank pulley to turn even over and give us the amount of ft/lb needed to make the engine move please at lest a 1/4 turn or so. If you have a beam torque wrench easy to just watch the pointer. If a clicker then start at 20ft/lb and if it clicks try 25 and move up until eng turns without breaking the contact.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:43AM

ok whatever it sounds cool anyway to me, a senior in high school where everyone either drives toyotas or hondas or cheap domestic crap.

I think that the nice warble tone, deep and manly, that it makes just sounds sweet, and then you get on the gas and it screams, at least in my case, no muffler just straight pipe from turbo........might be why it does whine, and whine sounds stupid as well, kind of like complaining, and my turbo doesnt complain, or i dont complain about it either, at least how it sounds...winking smiley

Thanks
Troy

Date: January 23, 2018 11:47AM

ok steve ill have to get a torque wrench, ive just used my toque elbow on this build, i know some are cringing right now but hey its fine now.....so far winking smiley

What would be the purpose of doing that? To see the resistance or what, i know i now have oil pressure at least my gauge says so, around 70 psi or so....

So to get back to you steve im wondering what exactly would be the point of that...?

Thanks

Troy

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:51AM

Trying to understand why the starter won't roll the engine over.

You used a torque wrench when you torqued case halves/heads/rod bearing caps/oil pump cover right?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 23, 2018 11:52AM

thewolfe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mine whistles
======================================

That's Air intake flow...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 23, 2018 11:59AM

the starter had an internal short somewhere, according to Chris at hi tork and hes sending me out a new one.

So steve i did sort of kind of use a torque wrench..............that being said, it was torque to tight, in order from inside to out so not to warp, and then to a little tighter, and then tighten to full. Just me and my craftsman half inch socket wrench. Its not to correct way but its sufficient and i was careful to not warp the halves or heads.

Thanks

Troy

Date: January 23, 2018 12:02PM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
> ok whatever it sounds cool anyway to me, a senior
> in high school where everyone either drives
> toyotas or hondas or cheap domestic crap.
=========================================================

Since I setting here waiting for Dan Davis to show up.... I've got time!!! gg

I take offense to that statement... "cheap domestic crap"???

Our Vairs were and ARE just that "Cheap Domestic"...compared to other collector vehicles!

I drive a $900 '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee... 6 cyl. / 2wd... 7k trouble free miles... so far...210k miles on odo.

A $1900 '97 T-Bird.... v6 30k easy miles with just a little trouble... 190k on odo

A $1500 '67 Vair 110/pg 15k easy miles... well over 300k according to last owner..

A'66 Monza Turbo... no breakdowns.... way too much $$ in that one... LOL!!

Date: January 23, 2018 12:05PM

I did not mean cheap domestic crap except for like little chevy and fords and dodges. Im vairy sorry to offend you, but i dont think there are any vairs in the parking lot here....lol.

Thanks

Troy W

Date: January 23, 2018 05:48PM

Troy... I know.... I drive by a highschool all the time... I was bored!! GG

Date: January 24, 2018 05:22AM

Ok well im guessing that you dont drive by my high school...ggg...
anyway im getting a front half of a super beetle from the guy i bought my car from originally , for FREEEE!!!!!!!!

this being said i will not have to worry about the front control arms now, or any steering and suspension components as i will have 2 of each. Also brakes and the master cylinder, i have no idea why but he cut the car from the windsheild, down the door line, didnt cut obviously, and hogged through the floor across and did the same on the other side.

Im not asking questions i just have to pick it up saturday. Next i can swap out the front apron as mine was kind of shot, and sell the fenders or do something of that sort. Ive been having to patch some rust where the bumper mounts attach to the frame, the body there rusted out, and on the parts bug, its perfectly fine, so more cut and welding and grinding and bondoing to happen in the future....but hey i got lucky and the price was right.....

thanks

troy

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 24, 2018 08:49AM

Funny discussion here Troy.
When I was MUCH younger, people called VW bugs "that foreign crap!"
My how times change.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 24, 2018 09:57AM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
> the starter had an internal short somewhere,
> according to Chris at hi tork and hes sending me
> out a new one.
>
> So steve i did sort of kind of use a torque
> wrench..............that being said, it was
> torque to tight, in order from inside to out so
> not to warp, and then to a little tighter, and
> then tighten to full. Just me and my craftsman
> half inch socket wrench. Its not to correct way
> but its sufficient and i was careful to not warp
> the halves or heads.
>
> Thanks
>
> Troy

You need to use a torque wrench like Steve said to see if the engine is too tight.

The fact that you didn't uses a torque wrench during assembly is cause for concern. If the rod nuts or crankcase halves are over tightened, it is possible that the engine is going to be too tight for any starter. I'd also imagine bearing life would be severely reduced if run in that condition.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: January 25, 2018 05:21AM

its not hard to bar over at all, indeed one like myself can turn it over with my hand on the flywheel/ring gear. I didnt over tighten them, i knew what the torque specs were and used simple calculations to make sure that i didnt over/under tighten them. 1 ft long socket wrench, and torque spec, put however many pounds of force behind it approx. and its all good.

thanks

I know i shouldve but i dont think itll cause any problems

Troy W

Date: February 01, 2018 08:48AM

Hello all,
I have a question, i tried to start the engine out of the car, hooked up jumper cables and a wire to the distributor coil. The engine would turn over and it turns over fast enough, with my new hi torque starter, good product BTW. But it wont start, it has spark, i has compression, and it has gas. SO the only thing is the timing right? Ok so i static timed it to 24 degrees BTDC as it should be, knowing that too much advance can cause it not to start and cause the starter to go slow. Im now wondering if i adjusted the valves wrong, but i did use the method of going to 001 lash and then 1/2 turn and all seemed well. Now the only other thing was, it seemed like some of the lifters were stuck or not pumped up, like you can rock the rocker over and feel it go down a little into the lifter, like normal, but on some of them you can't it seems like they are stuck? Would this be why its not starting? I know it has 120 psi on all the cylinders give or take max 5 psi, but this is really stumping me because its ran before fine???? Its a little low on oil, into the add zone, so im going to get some more in there and then give it a go again.......could that be why, more drag by not enough oil causing it to not turn fast enough to start it?????

I really dont know but i do know that the battery is fine, charged on a charger on trickle charge 5 amps or something, and the cables are big enough to take the amp draw, probably about 3/4 thick jumper cables and they are new, so no resistance in shorts.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be wrong? Its confusing me and im am willing to be submissive to the elder generation with more experience than I.

Thanks and any advice or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed gladly

Thanks again

Troy W

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 01, 2018 09:48AM

Is the distributor out 180 degrees?

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: February 01, 2018 09:55AM

Nope i checked that too, it was backfiring out the carb until i figured that out, but that was before when i first started it......only thing i can think of is that since its on a bit of an angle because of the turbo crossover pipe, the float is off and flooding the engine, which could be possible..... i dont know could it be that it needs more oil? Might pick up some starting fluid at the same time and pull all the plugs to see if it will fire then. Also it could be a stuck lifter, but could that cause it not to start? Turns it was running on 4 cylinders before when i first started it, because there was like 20 psi on 2 cylinders but i adjusted the valves according to what i said before, and got it back up to 120.

Hopefully its something simple, but if it is something major at least i have the engine out now anyway

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 01, 2018 09:57AM

And what should the torque be for turning the engine over with all plugs in with a torque wrench? I dont think thats a problem its hard but you can easily bar it over on the harmonic balancer bolt, i dont really think its the problem but might as well check.

I might be able to borrow one.

Thanks

Troy W

Date: February 01, 2018 11:42AM

Plugs OUT!!!

Find a BEAM type INCH lb. torque wrench... 0-300 range

Someone said the manual said 13 ft. lb.?? that's 136 IN. LB.

Current Page: 18 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.