home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 18, 2017 10:24AM

Ok didn't think about shipping. Out of curiosity did you price the alternator in local parts stores? Many just go to Advance or others and buy one instantly. Then drive back to parts store with core.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: December 18, 2017 10:59AM

i already got that alternator, and it fits and everything works good now, im assuming because i havent started the engine, but i did fix the offset bushing in the transaxle.

Thanks for the advice, but it came a little too late, or i posted this a little too late i guess

Troy W

Date: December 18, 2017 12:09PM

If it fits and works then all is well. Good luck with the starting issues

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 19, 2017 05:43AM

Thanks alot, Hopefully we dont have anymore starter problems

thanks again

Troy

Date: January 09, 2018 06:10AM

Hey, Wow its been awhile since ive posted on here. Well many things have happened, i found my compression leak badly adjusted valves on number 2 cylinder. I got solid mounts for the transaxle because it literally shredded the rubber ones. Next the starter bushing i put back in, was a little off apparently so it goes slower than ever, im think of just screwing this and getting a after hi torque starter, what works best for this, i have a 127 tooth ring gear and im wondering if i put the starter adapter onto the hi torque one would it work, line up, mesh etc..?

Im pretty sure at this point i dont want to frick with that stupid bushing anymore and the new ones are selfsupporting so no worries with that right?

thanks for the help and information all

Ill try to get some more pics, right now its kinda getting painted slowly

Troy W

Date: January 10, 2018 06:56AM

I think i might go with a IMI-101NR its for a 127 tooth flywheel(I think, im waiting to hear back from IMI HI torque about it) and bolts directly up to the vw transaxle without any need for adapter plates or such.

What does everyone think about that, is it worth paying a little more or go with a heavy duty corvair starter and use the adapter plate??

Im sorry to be so ignorant but as its kinda a lot of money i want to make the right decision......That being said i dont want to be buying multiple things at this price to replace ones that dont work....

Thanks again for all the information

Troy W

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2018 08:01AM

Use the Hi Torq!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 18, 2018 07:20AM

Ok i bought the hi tork starter, and its on the way, i couldn't properly do a compression test with the old slow starter and this will pinpoint my problem more accurately. The problem with my old starter was that all, and i mean most of the insulation from the copper wires around the magnets were gone.... and i think it was shorting out...so i ditched that starter and decided to bite the bullet and buy the 250 dollar one from hi tork, it bolts up the the vw transaxle and turns th corvair engine...hopefully this goes as planned, has anyone heard anything bad about hi tork starters grinding the ring gear? Hopefully not, what are the reveiws on the hi tork starters, should be good right.....?

Thanks

Troy W

Date: January 18, 2018 07:24AM

Hopefully the teeth on the ring gear are still good.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 18, 2018 07:32AM

The teeth are fine, still attached and had a little surface rust which i wire wheeled off with an angle grinder, should i have to worry about the gears meshing properly? Or am i being overly worried about nothing?

Thanks, have you had experince with these starters, its a cw rotation starter, with 11 teeth to mesh with the ring gear on the corvair, 127 teeth, i just trusted what that dude said, because its his job right??

LMK

thanks

Troy W

Date: January 18, 2018 08:14AM

Not trying to worry you but since you have had
some engagement issues with your other starters
it is easy to have some wear on the teeth. Metal
isn't that hard on the ring gear.

Haave someone roll the engine by the crank while
you watch through the hole in the transaxle.

Good luck

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 18, 2018 08:47AM

Yup, ive had the engine and transaxle apart more times that im willing to admit, and it looks all fine, i painted it, and the paint is gone on the engaging side of the teeth....

Thanks

Date: January 22, 2018 05:56AM

Ok the hi torque starter, works fine, better than stock, but it still doesnt have enough balls to turn the engine over fast enough.......

i drilled out the screws holding the coil magnets on the starter, old one, and got all of the old insulation out and off of there, do you think, open to anyone, that i can coat the bare wire with some sort of insulation, and just put it back in there, as this is definitely the problem with it?

What do you all think, the hi torque, not really, i guess its small and made from a vw starter revesred wound and gear reduction, so its ok, but still not wham, wham wham, fast enough.

Ok and one more thing, the valves were not adjusted properly, and now that i have, guess what.......exactly, i mean exactly, 120 psi on each cylinder!!!!!!

Thanks

Troy W

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 22, 2018 06:47AM

You can buy liquid vinyl at Walmart. It comes in a small can of liquid or a spray can. It's on TV so they may keep it in the "as seen on TV section or in paint. Ask for Flex Seal. You can seal/insulate easily, just don't put too much on or it will foul the area with gunk.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: January 22, 2018 07:02AM

ok will that work then or does it melt when its gets hot?
It should work, and one more question, on the starter the coiled wires are flat, is there supposed to be some insulation in between the wires, from one to another, like in the coil??

I dont think it will matter but it might affect the windings, and therefore altering the motor some way? I might be wrong...

Thanks again

Troy W

Date: January 22, 2018 07:44AM

Troy I presume your battery is under rear seat and grounded to pan at tunnel as typical Type 1. Do you have the ground strap between nose cone of transaxle to the tunnel? It is braided ground cable and is located at front of transaxle at front mount. If yes did you clean both of the contact ends and ensure clean metal between ground strap and both ends

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 22, 2018 07:56AM

i have the engine out of the car and a battery run through jumper cables, big ones so not resistance, directly to the starter and a wire running to the distributor from that for ignition, it literally started better on the old starter, and that's pretty bad.........

I'm going the route of returning the starter and possibly getting a corvair hi torque one, bigger and badder and ballsier, and just using my adapter to the vw transaxle, should work, because it was what was originally done only with the corvair starter, stock one.

Im not dogging hi torque in anyway, its just that starter just seems too small, it is just a reverse wound hi torque for a vw engine, with a different gear on the end.....

Im calling hi torque now to see what their policies are as far as that goes.

Troy W

Date: January 23, 2018 10:58AM

Ok got the hi torque issue firgured out, the starter was pulling about 212 amps, when they should only pull about 86 MAX! It also was getting very hot very quick.
The gear mesh and everything was great, and they are shipping me out another starter asap. It had a internal short causing the excessive amps being pulled and heating up.

The people were very helpful and understanding and helped me through it, troubleshooting and fixing it.

I wish that every one had that great of customer service.

Hint hint ROCKAUTO......

Thanks hopefully the starter comes soon and i recommend this starter to anyone who is using a corvair engine regular rotation in a vw bug transaxle reversed, as it bolts right up

Troy W

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:08AM

Troy... many have used it for this combo.... Most Sandcars run 10 to 1 CR... and the smaller ring gear on the VW sized Flywheel makes it necessary for "comfortable" starting..

The only other way is to build a custom 6 volt GM starter...and crank with 12...what I ran for over 30 years... Guy I sold the sandcar too burnt the 6 volt soon after... and went to the Hi Torque..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 23, 2018 11:25AM

yup, or use the adapter plate, what is the thoughts on temporarily insulating the bare wires with plastidip or liquid vinyl? I just want to hear the engine again because dayum once you hear that nice warble, wahh wahh wahh wahh, and then hit the gas and the turbo screams, man......nothing contends to it because you know that you threw the thing together and it actually runs and has EXACTLY 120 psi of compression on each cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!

smileys with beergrinning smileycool smiley still cant believe it...lol

Troy W

Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.