home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: September 27, 2017 06:39AM

Hey y'all,

Im currently working on putting my corvair corsa turbo engine in my 73 super beetle. Nothing insane but, im trying to do it up right.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

No pics for now gotta get home from work, then i will post multese pictures for you guys. Any pictures wanted, just ask and i can/will post them asap.

Thanks

Troy W

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Engine in a '73 vw bug!!
Date: September 27, 2017 06:59AM

The engine in fairly basic, nothing incredible, but 95 heads machined out to fit the larger bore of the cylinder sleeves. This will increase compression and increase horsepowersmileys with beer. Adding a wastegate and blowoff valve, to help reduce the risk of the engine to blow itself up at 25-30 lbs of boost.

Any comments or concerns for my build.

Here is some pics i have of the car itself, very solid and no rust on the pan. The guy i got it from started a ground up restoration but had to stop because a stroke left him very unable to do a lot of the work involved.

I have a crown manufacturing adaptor plate, adaptor from the corvair starter to the vw transaxle. But thats about it as far as mods go.

Completely rebuild and had the transaxle shot peened to increase surface tension for the extra torque provided by the corvair engine.

Basically an engine swap im doing because i got the engine for free from my uncle and i got the car for 600 bucks. Hope to spend less than 3000 on the entire thing, thankfully it was very complete and all the nuts and bolts the previous owner took out were in individual bags labeled, basically legos to put together again.

Like i said, tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated, as this is my first engine swap. Hopefully not the last.cool smiley

Thank you

Troy W

Attachments:

Date: September 27, 2017 07:04AM

Oh yah,

I got the sleeves and pistons, connecting rods, and 1 110 cylinder head and a block and all new bearings from a young guy in canada whose family had a storage business and a guy had a 50 ft trailer full of corvair and other misc chevy parts. The sleeves were used, but the pistons and the connecting rods were brand new TRW forged pistons!!! all for 450 bucks canadian. This is where having relatives in canada pay off!!!!!!!!!!smileys with beersmileys with beer

Correct me if im wrong but i believe i got a good deal.

Troy W

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: September 27, 2017 07:26AM

Pictures of the Corvair engine?

Lee J

Date: September 27, 2017 07:28AM

Yes sorry Lee J once i get home from work i will get some and put them on here
Sorry

Troy W

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: September 27, 2017 08:09AM

Transvair ad

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Attachments:
Date: September 27, 2017 09:08AM

Hey thats cool, i already have the adaptor plate and all i need to put it in the bug, just the time that it takes it annoying. That ad is actually really cool.
im trying to attach the pic but it says they are too big???

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 27, 2017 09:09AM

cepak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Transvair ad

Hi Tom: Trans-vair only works with swing axle Type 1. The 73 uses IRS very similar ro late Corvair except for CV joints instead of U-joints.

Preferred way is reverse turn the Corvair engine. The rotation inside the VW transaxle is correct and the stock Bosch starter works.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 27, 2017 10:20AM

that is correct, i just flipped the ring gear in the transaxle, VW transaxle that is.

Other than that no modifications needed

this is some pics of the engine as i got it
i apparently displaced a chipmunk or another acorn loving creature

Attachments:

Date: September 27, 2017 10:21AM

it was full of oil so it preserved the main essentials very well

Date: September 27, 2017 10:31AM

Troy what is the tooth count of your starter ring on the flywheel? The 12V VW is 130 tooth. The modified Corvair offset parts is 127 tooth. Be careful installing the bushing in the transaxle. It must be exactly n position or the armature will drag on the field coils.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 27, 2017 10:35AM

im sorry i dont exactly know but i know my uncle bought a kit from crown manufacturing that included a offset starter bushing, adaptor plate, clutch pressure plate, clutch wheel, and aluminium lightweight hi-rev flywheel. It all matches up fine as far as i can see. Ill get some more pic later today or early tomorrow.

What do you think about that steve?
Not bad for free right?

Date: September 27, 2017 10:44AM

Nothing wrong with free. The light flywheel and turbo isn't the best match. RPM will be at redline while turbo lag is still present. More so if your turbo is stock F flow.

Look under the fan shroud for evidence of mice and clean cooling fins in heads/cylinders and the rest of the engine too.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 27, 2017 10:57AM

Are you planning on getting that engine running before you get ready to install it? Corvair can be run "on the floor". Best to confirm that no issues are hiding in there.
BTW those long spring steel retainers on the rocker covers are installed backwards. The indented shape is supposed to push against the cover when the bolt is torqued down - to spread the load against the cover/gasket area.

If you are not a "dyed in the wool" Big Bumper Super Beetle nut, I'd suggest you get a VW drivetrain and put that in there so you can sell that Bugly running. Then get Fiberglass Dune Buggy to put that Corvair/VW drivetrain into! Multiplies the Cool Factor by 100! IMHO smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: September 27, 2017 10:58AM

oh yes i already did that, a long time ago, im in the midst of putting it all back together for the 2nd and hopefully last time. I completely disassembled the engine as the pistons were seized in the sleeves, must be one of the consequences of sitting for 44 years. But anyway, tonight hopefully i will completely reassemble the right side with the turbo mount and oil return tube. I already have the left side assembled completely with new lifters and the parts i talked about before.

Other than that its all just timeconsuming work now, just assembling it.

Thank you for the feedback

Apparently the light flywheel made it easier to accelerate and do wheeliessmileys with beercool smiley

Date: September 27, 2017 11:02AM

Yes i totally agree with you but i do think the semi-sleeper look will be pretty cool, thanks for the tip, how do you run it on the floor

Date: September 27, 2017 11:13AM

Oh and not bragging or anything but i am only 17 years old, and probably have more expirence dealing with cars and engines than most computer geeks that are my age nowadays.

The only reason im at work is because its the code name for school. SHHHHHHH!!!!!! don't tell anyone

Date: September 27, 2017 01:13PM

TroyWidtfeldt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes i totally agree with you but i do think the
> semi-sleeper look will be pretty cool, thanks for
> the tip, how do you run it on the floor
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To run the engine on the floor, sit it on a flat hunk of plywood so it won't mess up the oil pan.
With it set up to run, you just need to attach the battery ground to the engine and the big + cable to the starter along with a removable wire to the coil so you can shut it off easily.
Install some mufflers just so it's not obnoxious! Looks like you have close neighbors.
Gravity flow to the carburetor(s) for fuel, make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
You can even run it for a few min. without the fan belt.

You Canadian? Several on this Forum from the Great White North.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: September 27, 2017 02:31PM

Nope not canadian my mom was though, thanks for the info. Im getting some more pics up soon.

Date: September 28, 2017 04:40AM

Ok had a bad night last night, i had a stripped out head stud hole, rewelded it and im going to tighten the nuts for the valves, and its strips out again.

Any help is desperately wanted.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.