home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oil flowing over my serial number
Posted by: macutak ()
Date: October 10, 2017 08:21AM

The alternater mount is new. This picture is of the mating surface. It is not the greatest. I see a couple nicks but I did not want to use an abrasive even light weight Emory for fear I would make it uneven. The leak is from the top of this photo and that is where the gasket seems to have been destroyed. It's a little rough up there but not enough to prevent a good seal I thought.

I'm almost done. I just need...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 10, 2017 09:12AM

Sheet of 6oo paper taped to a piece of plate glass can clean that up. Use steady light even pressure. Learned that from the knowledgeable ones on this forum. Using this process to clean up my oil pump plates.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 10, 2017 01:21PM

Misread description of Nick location, but could do something similar with a metal sanding block

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 10, 2017 01:25PM

Just use Gaska-Cinch...

The paper gasket slides easily..

BUT put a 6" machinist rule on both surfaces to look for "Bowing"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 12, 2017 01:28AM

My new gaskets come tomorrow. I am going to use the plate glass with 600 grit and a little wd40. I read several other questions on this oil leak subject. This method was the recurring theme. I liked the magic marker approach to see if there are any low spots as you sand. Then with flat surfaces I'll use grease tha was suggested thanks al for the suggestions here and the other locations on this great forum.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: October 12, 2017 07:30PM

For being fairly new, The way that gasket is eaten away is strange.
This might be a stretch but I’d check the grounds.
Also on reassembly, sequence torque the bolts and be careful to not over tighten.

Will
Northern California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 07:35PM by Chilly Willy.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 13, 2017 02:44AM

You are going to remove the rear cover before sanding on it?

Posted by: Wrencher ()
Date: October 13, 2017 07:34PM

OK, after 40 years of this, I hate seeing pictures of silicone sealer like that.
Whatever sealer you settle on (even silicone), the secret is THIN coats! My personal favorite is 3M weatherstrip adhesive. the next guy will hate you, but leak issue will be over. Gaskacinch is a good choice, plus I like the girl on the can!! Really, you don't need any sealer if the surface is flat, these engines have such varied expansion rates (due to dissimilar materials) some movement will occur anyway.

Hans

The Larry Shinoda Collection: '65 Corvair Monza 140, '69 L-68 Corvette Roadster, '70 BOSS 302

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: October 13, 2017 07:39PM

On solid flat sufaces like this one I have been using Dow 111 hi temp o-ring grease on the gaskets and it works great. Make sure everything is flat like mentioned above and then a thin coating of grease and good to go. The real bonus is down the road when you have to take things apart, no stuck gaskets. This grease all works good for lip seals as well.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Date: October 13, 2017 11:02PM

This grounding issue intrigues me only because I know I have a ground issue in my right blinker. When I turn it on my license plate lights and my speedometer panel light flashes rapidly with my blinker , but not my right tail blinker. These flashes are slow when headlights are off but fast when they are on. And sometimes it will blow a fuse. I just avoid right and turns. LOL. But I thought this same thing about the gasket when I first saw how destroyed it was but I assumed I had overtightened it and caused disintegration. Y

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 14, 2017 04:45AM

""On solid flat sufaces like this one I have been using Dow 111 hi temp o-ring grease on the gaskets and it works great""

This is what I have been using for many many years. We used it for vacuum line connections on ATM modules at work. So I got it for free. It keeps gaskets soft and tight and often reusable. I use it on the YH top cover gasket as well. It is about the thickest grease I have ever seen. Works great on emission line connections and make them easy to separate.

[www.ebay.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: November 23, 2017 04:17PM

macutak (),

Did you stop your oil leak? I've got a leak in the exact same place and was waiting to hear how this worked out for you.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.