home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
FS - Do you need a new FC front floor mat?
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:39PM

forsale
Your front FC floor mat could look like this.

Yep, a reproduction stock FC front floor mat. I decided to repop an actual stock GM FC front mat with the original embossed pattern. This was not simple since a NOS mat wasn't available and I had to work with a used mat. I decided to use the Firebrier's original mat, which was in pretty good shape. However, to make the mold the mat must be glued perfectly flat onto a surface, which is very difficult to achieve since used mats always have entrenched folds like these ...

... that will not flatten. The only solution was to cut out all of these areas and replace with new rubber cast with a matching pattern.

So after this was done and the original mat was repaired and secured down, a huge epoxy mold was made.

I used a clear epoxy so that any bubbles or problems could be seen and corrected before it set up. This stuff was really expensive, and you're seeing the successful result on the second try (the first attempt was a disaster of proportions I prefer not to discuss). Once the epoxy mold was separated from the template mat, further corrections and repairs were made. From this the urethane rubber mats, like this one, will be cast.

The rubber is quite flexible but of a strong industrial grade that will hold up well. I believe the repro is very good and is a little thicker than the original. There are some minor surface imperfections, such as these:

But they're not readily apparent when the mat is installed.

Got a powerglide? No problem, the hole for the clutch pedal is a punch-out (well, a cut-out). If you have a late style (on the floor) shifter, the hole will need to be cut out.

So now's your chance. I'm asking only $245 + shipping. These will be made to order as ordered, so PM me if interested.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 08:07PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FS - Do you need a new FC front floor mat?
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:43PM

Looks great !smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 14, 2017 05:44PM

Very cool! What you can do amazes me!smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: September 14, 2017 06:16PM

Incredible! This makes me want to get a Greenbrier to put together to have a reason to buy one! I grew up in FCs, and while this was the early 80s the mats were still pretty soft. My Rampy has a carpet and it's just not the same.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:44AM

Just sent a PM. The price is extremely fair.

Thanks Steve for pursuing this project.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:56AM

Vairy nice Steve! I will be wanting one but not quite yet. (I have to get the 62 Monza on the road first).

Thanks for your dedication to this hobby.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: antkoto ()
Date: September 15, 2017 10:24AM

PM sent.

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 10:43AM

Hi Steve,

This is an amazing product. Thanks for putting in all the effort! I have a point of clarification: will you be doing orders on demand as they come in, or in batches, with periods of time between batches where the mats will not be available? I'm asking b/c I don't need one now, but if this is my only chance..

Thanks!

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: September 15, 2017 10:51AM

Steve it looks you succeeded. The guys at the local body shop tried the similar process back in 2011. They were never able to get a finished mat. Here is a photo of the casting mold.
Gary M

Attachments:
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 15, 2017 01:40PM

P.M. Sent.

I don't own a F.C. at this time but.....maybe one day.eye rolling smiley

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: September 15, 2017 02:11PM

Thanks everyone for the great response and support.

Jon,
Initially I'm doing them in a batch. Once I see how many mats are ordered through Sunday, I will know how much rubber I will need and will place the order. I will undoubtedly order extra to be able to prepare extra mats to cover additional orders. I did not want to order the rubber ahead of time for two reasons. On top of the development costs, the rubber is very expensive; However, there is some economy in shipping when ordered in larger quantities. Another consideration is that the rubber components have a short shelf life. Once you open a container it needs to be used.

Gary,
Were they trying to use fiberglass resin? That is unlikely to work due to shrinkage and heat generation. As I mentioned, my first attempt using epoxy was a huge, very expensive failure. It was a tough decision to try again, but I learned from that where a bunch of pitfalls were and found ways around them. Nevertheless, it was a one shot chance and I didn't know if the mold would be usable until I pulled off the old mat, nor if the casting process would work until I pulled the first new mat off the mold.

As I said, there are some surface imperfections, but I will be endeavoring to reduce them along the way.

Steve

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: September 15, 2017 02:51PM

Wow, we'll done! Makes me want an FC to go with it!!

Posted by: quorvair ()
Date: September 15, 2017 03:35PM

A W E S O M E ! !.

Add me to the list Steve..

Daniel Vallée
1961 Rampside 140PG
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Québec, CANADA

Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:06PM

Likewise, add one for me.

Pm sent

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 95hp. 30 over bored and stroked. 145 block, 165 heads 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone 140 4 speed, 30 over.
1966 4 door 110 pg soon to return to factory 140 PG

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a half mile from my house... \/

Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast

Date: September 29, 2017 01:17PM

My Front Floor Mat arrived from Steve today. I have only had enough time to unwrap it and take a look.
Wow! I am impressed. If you have followed his restoration thread, you already know his craftsmanship.
The material is indeed tough. I'm looking forward to installing it as soon as I can.
I will post pictures Monday. Busy weekend!
Great job Steve!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: September 29, 2017 03:05PM

Thank you,Steve!
This will be an excellent replacement for the rotton original in the 8-door.
Money well spent,imo.

Attachments:
Date: September 29, 2017 03:49PM

Ay Thomas,
That one looks just like the one that arrived here today!!!thumbs up

Yep. Fine work!

Corventure Dave

Date: September 29, 2017 06:38PM

Hey Dave and Tom,
Thanks. Glad you like the mats. If you're not going to install it for a while, my advice is to store the mat flat, at least for a few weeks, to avoid having a curl set in along the ends. The rubber is indeed tough, and pigmented with a UV blocking agent.
Steve

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: September 29, 2017 07:06PM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're not
> going to install it for a while, my advice is to
> store the mat flat, at least for a few weeks, to
> avoid having a curl set in along the ends.

Oops! Too late,Steve😁
I've attached a pic of the original mat in the Loadside for comparison to your repop.
It's awesome to [now] have the ability to source fresh FC rubber.
(Patiently waiting for the rear cargo area)😉

Attachments:
Date: September 30, 2017 03:24PM

I'm planning to prep one more batch of front floor mats sometime in the next couple of weeks, and then the mold is going into storage. Interest has been moderate, and I happy to have recouped my investment with some profit, but I'm back in the red if I make a bunch of mats that don't sell. (It's just not practical to make them one at a time.) So, if you wanted to get one, now's the time and I'd need to get a paid order sometime this week.

I pulled out the load area space-filling mats that I've been saving. This is the pair of identical mats that fill the corrugation spaces of the load area floor so the upper mat lies flat. Both halves are in exceptional condition and it's intended for the Firebrier, but either one of these mats would be excellent for repop-ing.

I would hate to pass up the opportunity to make a mold so that reproductions could available, but my guess is there wouldn't be enough people interested in buying this mat (which I suspect would be around $300 for a pair) to make it worthwhile - after all, it's not used in Rampsides and is hidden under the load area mat. But I'd be interested in hearing what FC owners think.
Steve

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.