Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: FAN BELTS
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: May 14, 2018 02:31PM

I've gotten so many Clark's belts as door prizes at Corvair shows it's hard to use anything else. After I got the rust cleaned off my pulley the belts seem to last forever now.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 14, 2018 02:38PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys. I will go back to the place I bought
> the current belts if the specs don't match, and

I think the 47" belt is for the A.I.R. pump?

3/8" x 56" WRAPPED! Not cogged either!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 14, 2018 03:40PM

So I tried a 7560 (56in unwrapped) belt, left loose, and it just threw it within a few blocks. A friend of mine pulled me home and I went and bought the Gates 3V560 (wrapped version) and tightened the belt and bolts down on the pulley pretty good. I haven't tried to start it yet but why is this not the right way to do it?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Getting there.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 03:43PM by playerpage.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 14, 2018 04:02PM

There are various things than can cause a belt to flip off, all the pulleys need to be straight and clean in the groove, no rust, spin them with no belt and check? all the bearings must be good, the Alt pulley must be the correct one, they do get switched, sometimes a bearing will spin when cold but lock up once hot, that includes the alternator.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: May 14, 2018 04:22PM

I carry a 9/16 dogleg for the adjusting slot and a 9/16 stubby for the pivot. A ratchet with a flex head for the adj slot works well too.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 14, 2018 05:21PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>snip<
> tightened the belt and bolts down on the pulley
> pretty good. I haven't tried to start it yet but
> why is this not the right way to do it?

Steve sez: do not overtighten belt!!! As many
have already stated: Loose belt the alt pulley
will turn/slip with a finger or two.

You need to check the list Dave gave you above
before starting the engine again. Check runout
on your balancer too as well as position to
oil filter. If balancer fails the outer ring
moves towards filter.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 14, 2018 05:33PM

The OO donated a Craftsman short off set box wrench with the car. It has never left the engine compartment.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: May 14, 2018 06:11PM

Just to stir the hornets nest, I happen to love using the Dayco “Top Cog” belt. It lasts for EVER. I usually get 50,000-60,000 miles out of them between changeovers. Plus they’re dirt cheap on rock auto.

Rockingham, NC

1962RustBus

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: May 14, 2018 06:20PM

I think the most important thing about belts isn't the belt but how you install it. Dave Motohead and others explained how to install it in a relaxed way and the problems go away. As Dave said, you should be able to install it without tools. My test on proper installation is the finger test....can I turn the alternator pulley with one finger...if yes, it's good.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 14, 2018 07:26PM

So by way of update I'm running the belt so that it feels tight enough to me but still loose enough that it wobbles when running the motor. I guess that's right...?

I will try the two finger test.

Yeah, I'm kind of worried about my balancer now. I had one fail a couple of corvairs ago. Is it worth just replacing for safety?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Getting there.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 07:33PM by playerpage.

Date: May 14, 2018 07:48PM

Replacing is up to you! Make sure you use a recently built unit... no NOS..

Elastomer goes bad with age... changes dampening characteristics.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 15, 2018 04:25AM

Your original question was Clarks or Otto.
I prefer the Clarks C5790 to the Otto.

The Otto seems a little stiffer and perhaps a tad shorter to me, someone else might perceive that as better.
The Otto belts I have are NOS 20 years old so perhaps they are not the same now, I just don't know.

I've got a hook with about 20 fan belts of different kinds I'm trying to work through. 10mm instead of 3/8 opens up a few different possibilities. I tried a lot of different things before going to vertical fan on the race car.
I agree 3/8 x 56 wrapped is the best. I don't like 7/16.
I had a 61 80 HP that would throw a cogged belt in 10 miles, never a problem with wrapped. I've had others that like a cogged belt just fine.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: May 15, 2018 04:29PM

Gates....3V-560 is my choice on my 66/140/PG...great belt...it is wrapped see macro photo...has never come off and my corvair goes to adjacent states cruzin.

My 64 Conv with alternator conversion has a 55515 belt. Seems to fit great...have driven the car 4-5 times around town with NO problem and got on it a couple of times.

Attachments:

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: May 15, 2018 07:24PM

ok , NOW that we dicided on which belt is best for our cars, the finger test is that on a cold engine ??? 50 to 70 f, or on a hot engine that has been ran for a trip ?? . thanks / al

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 15, 2018 07:34PM

Cold engine. This way you don't burn your fingers when turning the alternator fan.

Date: May 15, 2018 10:09PM

Ah the good old days when Corvair owners would step off at ten paces over which belt to use.
I used to use the $1.79 K Mart belts when they were available (back in the 70's).

Over the years we've sold literally thousands of belts - different brands, different designs. NONE OF THEM didn't work well. My favorites? The gates 6597 belt is a wrapped EXACT replacement for the stock belt (Gates was the factory supplier) Usually I run the Gates 3v560 wrapped belt although I have also used the 3vx560 cogged belt. None gave me any problems.

In the late 90's some companies thought the boring fan belt market needed some marketing gimmicks - top cog, bottom cog, diagonal cog, gaterback etc - all cogged belts are die cut as opposed to wrapped. We never really saw much trouble with those either.

When things are as they should be (including Steve's comment about not over-tightening) and you run a magnesium fan then the Corvair curse on fan belts evaporates away. Of course if you race or have a dunebuggy where extreme rpms and shift points are encountered then you'll just have to wait for our next run of Robson spring loaded idlers.

By the way - deeper pullies, narrower belts etc etc were red herrings thoroughly dis-proven by GM when they went on thier famous "barn tests" to find out how to fix trouble Corvair fan belts. The real fix, it turned out was the very light magnesium blower fan. Use one if you can.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: July 02, 2018 10:00AM

I have been using Gates PN 6597 (listed as a 7/16” X 57”). I can get them from my FLAPS. I have not had good luck so far. The last three have failed. I caught two before they actually broke (but it was obvious both were about to go) and one broke on the freeway. (And oh yes, I have a spare and tools in the trunk at all times). Average service life of these belts have been a couple to a few thousand miles. I am not impressed.

My 65 Corsa turns about 4000 RMP on the freeway. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also often shift near redline (I love the Glass-packs). That might have more to do with it.

I've been tightening belts on SBC’s for decades without any issues. Are those techniques transferrable? I don't have a tensioning tool so maybe I am getting the belt too tight?

I'll follow the suggestions in this threads but any other tips would be appreciated.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 02, 2018 10:14AM

7/16 is going to ride too high in the pulley must be 3/8. If your belt on the alternator side when running is not flexing up and down when running your belt is too tight. It really is surprisingly loose, one finger pulling towards you will slip the pulley, in the other direction "cw" is a bit more difficult.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: July 02, 2018 11:40AM

All tips are in this topic

Gates or equivalent 3V560 WRAPPED 3/8 x 56"

Engine COLD...Vairs GROW tremendously as they warm up

Fan / Idler and Alt / GEN bearing SMOOTH and NOT free spinning [ dry bearing ]

Loose!! So you can slip the Alt. pulley with fingers!

LOOSE so that you can replace the belt on a HOT engine without moving the Idler!!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 02, 2018 03:43PM

Yes, the reason you buy a 57 inch belt, instead of the factory specified 56 inch belt is because the belt is too wide, therefore rides high in the pulleys, which in turn makes the throw off easily or wear out too fast.

56 inch, 3/8 inch wide.

DO not adjust like small block Chevy or Ford or or or .... Alternator should be able to rotate with your finger pulling on the fins. And make sure the belt guards (two of them on LM) are adjusted correctly, not rubbing the belt when it rises up normally.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.