Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anyone Talked to Sedman Recently?
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 23, 2017 12:33PM

I talked to Ray last week, he’s got a lot going on.
Hopefully he can get caught up soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: November 23, 2017 01:52PM

Talked to him a couple of days ago.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: November 23, 2017 06:03PM

Hope you, 65180, and gregb have better luck than me. I gave up getting any response from him over a year ago regarding a pair of 140 heads I sent him for an engine build in late 2014.

bruces Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> During our consult last October for the direction
> I wanted to go with my engine, he told me he would
> have my heads done by Feb of this year. The new
> pistons and cylinders arrived in June and July. As
> for the heads, after numerous attempts at reaching
> him(email and voicemail), I asked him to ship the
> heads back to me or to another builder. He replied
> immediately saying he only had about an hour of
> work left. That was over 2months ago. He hasn’t
> replied to any of my attempts since...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 06:09PM by NMCarNut.

Posted by: chris ()
Date: November 23, 2017 07:09PM

This is discouraging. Every time I’ve been in contact with him he’s taken a bit to get back to me but he always did and was always friendly yet professional.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 24, 2017 07:10AM

Ray is a good guy and does good work and always works off the top of a backlog of things to do. I think he does the Corvair stuff part time. I don't know if you will ever hear of him getting caught up.

I've got too much to do myself and it's hard for me to talk to people when I know they're not going to like what I have to say regarding time. I've been guilty of biting off more than I can chew. My bad habit has been slipping one more in to the detriment of others waiting.
I recently made a list of Corvair things to do and came up with 21 waiting, 6 maybes and at least 6 of my own. I put them in order and intend to stick to it and work my way out. I contacted everyone on the list and was pleased no one yelled at me yet. 2 of the maybes turned to 22 and 23.
I'm not trying to toot my own horn, it just seems like a lot of Corvair guys these days have a lot to do. I had heard Larry Claypool was quoting a one year backlog. I'm having delays from other Corvair guys waiting for Outside Services.
There's another fellow in my area who's been repairing Corvairs since the 70s and is now in his 70s. I think he's keeping pretty busy too.
I'm 60 and have no desire to take the big leap into hiring employees. I'm too much a fussbudget to do it any other way, although my older brother has been helping me with carburetors for something to do so I'm not inflexible.

I imagine Ray is in a predicament where he does and has things unlike anyone else.
They say too much to do is a good problem to have. I don't know who they are but they've been known to say dumb stuff sometimes.
I had long wait times with Ray 15 years ago so it's nothing new. The work was brilliant when I finally got it. One 6-tube manifold he modified with fuel injector bungs I still haven't used yet (oh the shame).
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: bruces ()
Date: November 24, 2017 07:39AM

We know Ray is very knowledgeable and friendly person. We all agree his workmanship is fantastic. But I’m sure most of us are asking what the timeline is before we send him our stuff. I doubt anyone is accepting of a 2 or 3 year wait. I was told 4 months. Now we’re over a year. Had I known this, I would’ve used a different builder. I can’t imagine 2years for a carb. I hope he doesn’t hold on to my heads for another 2 years, like NMCarNut.
If he can’t meet his obligations, he should at least be replying to these clients with some information. I’m sure most of us would understand, and make other arrangements - given the chance.

Bruce S
'68 Monza Coupe
140 Turbo EFI
White Rock, BC

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 24, 2017 09:04AM

When I sent Ray my 140 heads, he only asked for a $500 deposit. I knew he was a year out, maybe more. I was not in a hurry for the heads so that worked for me. Then I sent the rest of the engine, again a year out. I have been sending Ray money towards the work even though he said repeatedly he didn't need money until it was done. Maybe that helps because he is usually back to me in a few days. He has a day job that takes a lot of time so his work time in not the same every day. He is candid about time but as Jim says, he takes on more than is reasonable. All I can say is keep trying to get him and calling is better than email.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: November 24, 2017 01:30PM

Ray Sedman: The man, the myth, the legend. Has his head SO wrapped around the Corvair engine/drive train, he makes me feel like a simpleton, most conversations -which are few and far between. Wish he'd give up his day job, however, I have a feeling that's a healthy portion of bread and butter for him. GGG Be well, Ray, wherever you are. Victor

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: November 24, 2017 02:05PM

I'd really enjoy meeting Ray before he passes. (I'm younger)
That being said... I don't feel it's fair (to both party's) to wait the periods I've read about.
We're not getting younger.

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 24, 2017 03:21PM

I know I would sure like to see my heads back sometime soon. He never made any indication it would a year or more. I don't mind waiting for a job but please at least respond to my requests for status on my project.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: November 24, 2017 06:48PM

Ray is a great guy and I really enjoy the conversations I have had with him. But I am running short on patients at this time. 2 years waiting for the mods to the Weber gas delayed all upgrades to my power plant for the same length of time.I would like a response from him as to where evetything stands.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 24, 2017 08:21PM

Do you guys call him? Most times I call he answers or calls me back in a little bit, I do know he is very busy and does have a back log of work, but for me he is not that hard to get a hold of?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 24, 2017 08:39PM

I have emailed him countless times with no response in the past year. The phone number I have for him just rings and rings and never a pickup or voice mail so I may have the wrong number. When I was emailing about sending my heads to him for repair he was very quick to respond.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: November 25, 2017 04:49AM

Yes, I've left messages by both phone and e-mail (with my name and number in the messages) and no response. After nothing in well over a year what's the point of leaving more?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.