home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 Monza Bucket Seat Redo upholstery
Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: August 12, 2017 05:08PM

This weekend I started doing upholstery on my bucket seats.I got so far as installing my drivers lower cushion and ended up taking it apart again. Also watching several videos and trying it again. I substitued the cotton under the new cushion with felt, not sure if that was a good idea or not. Now I need some encouragement to get back on to the task or just take a trip to Spokane on monday and drop both seats off at a shop. Anyone know of a good shop in Spokane or near there.

68 Monza Coupe Palomino Ivory 140hp 4sp
68 Monza Coupe Grecian Green 110hp 4sp ( daily driver 28 years)
65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG
1989 Gmc Vandura full of corvair parts

Grand Forks BC

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 Monza Bucket Seat Redo upholstery
Date: August 12, 2017 05:12PM

I did the back seats myself and they turned out perfect. Seem to be much easier.

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Attachments:

Date: August 12, 2017 06:00PM

Slip a plastic garbage bag over the felt, use a hair-dryer level of heat to warm the vinyl up so it has a bit of stretch.
Ring the widest corners down then the middle, then work to the corners.

It's a good workout, no doubt! Really get's to my tendonitis!
Sweat, blood and pain relievers - you'll be so glad when it's done!

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: August 12, 2017 06:26PM

Wow. The back seats DO look perfect!!thumbs up
Based on those, I'd say you CAN do it......
Hang in there. Take a step away and come back to it when you're feeling that "can do" feeling again..

George O
🇺🇸 1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Date: August 12, 2017 06:39PM

Do you know if I am supposed to cut in this area to attach the paper covered rod through the seat cushion to the other rod. This is where I got stuck in what I was doing.
Thanks for the advise on taking a breaks and coming back to it.

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Attachments:

Date: August 12, 2017 10:51PM

Those slots are placed so that the "listing" welts or wires can be pulled down thru there to the base so that the bolsters on each side of the main pleated seat are defined as a rise toward the outside of the seat from the center.
When the bottom, is installed, the front section is pulled over the front of the seat base with the foam & filler. With this snugged back you need to be able to pull/push the "listing" along that seam between the center and each bolster down so that it creates that "3-D" recess of the center section in relation to each bolster on the sides. It gets "ringed" or "tied down" about every 2 inches or so to keep the center section lower than the sides.
After that is done, then the sides and front are "ringed" down to the outer edge of the seat base.

I hope this makes some sense! It is an "art" but one that can be learned with patience...

I've found that if I secure a strong piece of music wire about every 2" on the welts or listing wires then push them down thru the foam/batting cover I then have a "grip" on that area that allows me to vary the pull on that area to get a smooth clean look, then secure the wire to the base while confirming that the pull is still looking clean.

Sheesh! This is tough to explain!

Here is some of the results from all that verbage. The "office" of my 1969 el Camino - using Legendary interiors seat covers. Very much as good as Clark's are for our Corvairs.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 13, 2017 05:17AM

I did mine not long ago, came out great IMHO, there are some videos in the FAQs with great tips. Look there if you haven't already done so.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: August 14, 2017 05:22PM

Finaly making headway. Off and on the task for 16 hours.Drivers lower seat cushion almost done. Trying to figure out if or why the center to the sides is so deep. Or is it supposed to look like this. Ive been sitting on worn seats ever since starting on Corvairs.
Any pictures of your redone 65 seats would be helpfull.

65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG

Grand Forks BC

Attachments:

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 14, 2017 05:32PM

Cal Clark did a couple of very nice demonstrations at a couple of Corvair Conventions I have attended using his products on customers seats. I heard it was a random thing for customers seats that had just shown up at the last minute. In other words it was not a staged event. You might find a you tube video somewhere of him doing it as I know at least once it was video recorded.

Date: August 14, 2017 07:38PM

I believe I did a nice job. My Wife says it looks perfect!

Attachments:

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: August 14, 2017 07:56PM

This thread may help: [corvaircenter.com]

Chuck's (croderique) link on smugmug is dead, but maybe he has a new different link to the video?

BTW: Nice job!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 07:57PM by flamingchariots.

Date: August 14, 2017 08:25PM

Thanks tried that link couple times but not working. I pretty much figured it out. Now on to seat back. New cushion and reusing the old cotton. The fun begins again. Helps to take breaks thou.

Posted by: croderique ()
Date: August 15, 2017 07:47AM

I had to take down the SmugMug videos. I reformatted and reposted them on YouTube.
Check out [www.youtube.com]
Chuck

Buckeye, AZ.
1966 Monza convertible 110 hp 4 speed Aztec Bronze with Bronze interior
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: August 15, 2017 09:35AM

Jason: It looks to me like the foam is too high in the middle. It should be almost flat between the bolsters. I had to reduce the thickness on several reproduction foam sets to get it right.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Date: August 15, 2017 09:45AM

Thanks for the info Craig. I was just going to post that. I am doing seat back right now and the reproduction foams are defently thicker. Im going to leave the outer skin cotton out.Also thinking that I like the looks of the seat bottom. At least try it out for a while.

Attachments:

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: August 15, 2017 12:42PM

Great work!!!smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: Tom Turbo ()
Date: August 15, 2017 04:51PM

If you have to trim foam "borrow" the wife's electric knife. She won't miss it until Thanksgiving when the turkey is on the table.

If it don't go, chrome it!
Stroker McGurk, 1961.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: August 15, 2017 09:04PM

I have had really good luck with polyester batting as a final layer over bolsters and in areas prone to wrinkle. It can be stuffed and positioned fairly easily to get the last wrinkle out during install.

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984. Have personally restored 20 or more Vairs a number of them ground up.

Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.