Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PITTSBURGH CORSA CONVENTION JULY 23-28th!
Posted by: KILLERCORVAIR ()
Date: August 10, 2017 02:09PM

Yinz guys and gals,
The website is finally up. www.corvairpittsburgh.com. Paste it in your url slot, it takes a couple of months before you can google it. Remember it is a work in progress. More will be added during the upcoming year. Especially the event schedule, etc. Also keep in mind it is a six day convention. The hotel is taking reservations, and the link is up. The raffle car link is also up. Please read through the Rules and Regulations. If anymore information is needed please fill out form on website.
Thank you, and hope to see yinz in D'Burgh!
Jim Weppelman
WPCC Sesretary, 2018 CORSA convention local chairman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 07:49AM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PITTSBURGH CORSA CONVENTION 2018
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 21, 2018 04:55PM

I had a need to drive to Western Pennsylvania over the weekend and on the way home today, I decided to stop by the Hotel we will be staying in just to check it out.

I wanted to see an example of the standard room that I would be renting for the week and how it was set up, what it had and / or did not have.

The staff was very accommodating and showed me one of the standard King rooms (with the 2 King Size Beds).
The room size was smaller than I would have expected from a "Hilton" but since I only plan to sleep in it, it works OK for me.
It is good enough size for two people but if four people were stuck in it on a rainy day, it could be a bit tight. JMO

The room has a small refrigerator that will hold maybe a half gallon container and a six pack of soda but not much else. There is NO freezer compartment.
The room I saw did not have it's own Microwave but was told there is one available to use in the "Business Area".
It did have it's own coffee machine and I neglected to look to see if there was a hair dryer in the bathroom or not.

The grounds and building looked to be relatively well cared for and there seemed to be adequate staff visible.

I came away with a good feeling about the Hotel in general and am excited to be there in July.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting The Economy Run
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: January 25, 2018 09:05PM

fuel gauge
 convention logo 
The CORSA International Convention includes a variety of events for owners to show off and drive their Corvairs. One of these is the Economy Run, a race for the best fuel mileage. Following an on-street course, drivers endeavor to get the best possible fuel mileage under actual road conditions. It is a test of both the vehicle and driver, encouraging safe and economical driving skill, and a fun opportunity for both seasoned and novice Corvair drivers. Starting the run with full fuel tank, the vehicle is driven a known distance over public roads and then the volume of gas needed to refill the tank is measured. The goal is to achieve the highest MPG within a vehicle category. What Fun!!

Want to know more? CORSA is happy to announce the availability of a new rulebook and operating procedure for economy runs at the national convention and regional CORSA events. Copies of documents are available in electronic form on the CORSA website. From the Corsa Home page , click on “Documents” and then click on “Event Rules and Procs”. There you will find all of CORSA’s rules for conducting and administering convention events.

The 2018 CORSA convention in Pittsburgh, July 23 – 28, is hosted by the Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club. Visit the WPCC Convention web page for hotel reservations, event scheduling and other convention information. Anyone can attend the Convention and register at the host hotel. Beginning in March, CORSA Members can also preregister for events, vender space, the banquet, etc. from the Corsa Convention web page.

Steve
CORSA Social Media Coordinator

Re: CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting The Economy Run
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 25, 2018 11:57PM

Sounds great, Steve. We already have our hotel reservations. (And airline tickets, flying from California.) You might also mention that non-members can join Corsa in advance, if they wish, instead of waiting to join on site. That is an additional half-year of Communiques, with the low-down on the Convention events. This year will be my 41st Convention. 38th straight! See you there!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 28, 2018 06:00PM

Econo run is a blast- I've done it in a couple different Corvairs, AND a water pumper (2nd in Waterpumper, but the winner had a Prius- cheater)

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Date: January 30, 2018 03:20PM

Registration will start April,3. It is later than usual cause the convention is later than previous ones (Last week in July)
Thanks
Jim Weppelman

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 30, 2018 04:45PM

Don't forget to unhook your secondary carbs and accelerator pumps and pump your tires up to 70lbs.! smileys with beer

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 04:46PM by Dan.

Date: January 31, 2018 08:13AM

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget to unhook your secondary carbs and
> accelerator pumps and pump your tires up to
> 70lbs.! smileys with beer

Or like me the last time - fill the car with 4 people, and start with less than a full tank of gas! I as a cole competitor too....140 PG Car...didn't do great in the Econo Run.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 15, 2018 08:09PM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 16, 2018 04:49PM

I wish there were some way to prevent contestants from using all the impractical driving and mechanical tricks to rack up gas mileage. But even if "real world" operation were a requirement, I'm sure some guys would go to great lengths to cheat. I just don't see much to be proud of if the only way you can get an award for good fuel mileage is to coast at 10mph with your hazard flashers on and 20 cars backed up behind you.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: April 16, 2018 04:58PM

Isn't that why they combined the Rally and Econo-Runa few years ago? At least at one convention?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting the Valve Cover Races
Date: March 14, 2018 07:05PM

Not only are Corvairs showcased at the CORSA International Convention but so also are certain Corvair parts. For example, the Valve Cover Races, where ingenious individuals convert a cylinder head valve cover into a race car to compete for the championship of a 24-foot long track. The Valve Cover Races are scheduled for Friday, July 27 during the upcoming Pittsburgh Convention. What Fun!!

Now's the time to start building a racer. This is an activity for the whole family - a family bonding opportunity. Build a racer with your spouse, daughter or son; build one that will leave the competition eating your dust (you will have to provide the dust yourself)! Valve cover racers are marvelously varied in their design - let your imagination go free. A few rules are needed to keep the playing field level, even if the race track is not, so here are the rules as they pertain to racer construction (in a more humorous light).

1. The racer must use a Corvair valve cover in its construction. To stay within the spirit of the event, the majority of the cover should be used (thus, to say you are only using the bolt holes would seem to be stretching the rules).

2. Only warp-drive powered vehicles allowed! Yes, you must use a warp in space-time (AKA gravity) to move your racer - none of those more primitive drives such as motors, springs, magnets, jet-propulsion, flux-capacitor, etc. are allowed.

3. The maximum weight is 4.5 pounds. There is no minimum weight, so theoretically, your racer could weigh nothing, but that could be a disadvantage in a gravity-powered competition, unless you're hoping it might float across the finish line.

4. The racer can be at most 16" long and 8" wide, including wheels. However, there is no minimum length nor maximum height limit; so maybe yours could be the first racer to use a valve cover mounted in the vertical orientation?

5. No part of the racer can hang over the 3" high start gate. Surely we all agree that a racer with a 24 foot long nose cone would have an unfair advantage.

6. The blue, quasi-Loadside racer shown here is mine. Looks nice, ran horribly. So if the intent is to win, don't build yours like this one.

Want to know more? Click here to get the official valve cover racing guidelines. Not a member of CORSA? Please consider joining, and click this link to find more about CORSA membership.

The 2018 CORSA convention in Pittsburgh, July 23 – 28, is hosted by the Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club. Visit the WPCC Convention web page for hotel reservations, event scheduling and other convention information. Anyone can attend the Convention and register at the host hotel. Beginning in April, CORSA Members can also preregister for events, vender space, the banquet, etc. from the CORSA Convention web page.

Steve Spilatro

Re: CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting the Valve Cover Races
Date: March 15, 2018 10:50AM

Steve -

Great Spotlight.

I have participated MANY times.

My #1 gripe for the VC race, ok, maybe 2...

1: Its always 'late' at night, and is a kid friendly event (my 9 year old has competed, and 6 year old will this year. It, and the Model Car Concours are probably the one 2 convention events that kids can actively participate. I'm hoping coinciding with the Banquet Cocktail hour this year will be better.

2: Its hard to see. Too bad we couldn't get bleachers into the convention room...so people could see the race. I know in 2010 in Iowa, we had grand plans to show on a big screen with a webcam - but ended up showing the standings instead (at the request of the competitors).

I do love the event - I've been going to conventions off and on since I was 2 or 3, in 1983...and I wish valve cover races existed at Conventions when I was growing up!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: March 15, 2018 11:52AM

Hi Steve, Good work! A nice intro to the Valve Cover Racers!

Date: March 15, 2018 05:35PM

Eric and conventioneers,
There will be a free youth valve cover build on Wednesday, July 25 at 1:30. The kids will also race (for fun) before the adults on Friday before the banquet. With this in mind and the area full with people for the races and waiting for the banquet to start.We will be having the action on video screens for everyone to see. No more neck stretching.
Thanks
Jim Weppelman

Date: March 15, 2018 05:49PM

Great idea, and helpful to make the Convention a real family affair.
Steve

Date: March 16, 2018 08:15AM

Jim -

Awesome news! My kids (6 and 9) both love the VC race, and can't wait to do it again.

Keeping FAMILY events at the Convention is a way to keep Corvairs alive.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: April 15, 2018 08:10PM

CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting the Autocross
Date: April 15, 2018 07:58PM

During the upcoming 2018 CORSA International Convention, the autocross races will be held on Friday, July 27th, at the parking lot facilities of The Mall at Robinson,100 Robinson Centre, behind Macys department store. Only a 15 minute drive from the Convention hotel, the air conditioned mall will be open and the shopping, many restaurants, free parking, and restrooms will be greatly appreciated by all those who attend.
Autocross (or Auto-X) is also called SoloSport (or just Solo) because, unlike circuit racing, there is only one car on the track at a time - it's a race against the clock. And since the course is a winding path with obstacles to avoid - this sport is also called AutoSlalom. By whichever name you choose, the Autocross is the highlight of the convention for many corvair enthusiasts, and with an emphasis on safety, it is a great entry point for novices into the world of racing.

Vehicles compete within a variety of different classes, from CC-V (Competition Class - Vintage) for cars with stock engines where the factory intended it to be, to SC-2 (Specialty Class - 2) for a corvair in body alone with most any powertrain that can be squeezed into it. And in between are other classes for cars (and FCs) configured in different ways. The autocross guidelines can be downloaded from the CORSA documents weboage.

The autocross course this year will be at the Robinson Mall, a short 15 minute drive from the convention hotel (with plenty of shopping opportunities along the way). You can click on these images for a more detailed view.

Here's a driver point-of-view YouTube video of Eric Prosise doing the autocross track at the 2017 Corsa International Convention in Independence, MO. Note the small steering wheel for quicker response.

Yes, there is a place for everyone (and every FC). Here the Corphibian also does the course at last year's Convention.

The Corphibian would definitely reign if we had an aquatic course.

Not a member of CORSA? Please consider joining, and click this link to find more about CORSA membership.

The 2018 CORSA convention in Pittsburgh, July 23 – 28, is hosted by the Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club. Visit the WPCC Convention web page for hotel reservations, event scheduling and other convention information. Anyone can attend the Convention and register at the host hotel. Registration is now open to CORSA Members for tours, events, vender space, the banquet, etc. from the Corsa Convention web page.

Steve Spilatro

Re: CORSA International Convention Events – Spot-lighting the Autocross
Date: April 16, 2018 11:28AM

To be fair - my video above is actually the Corvair Track Classic, in Hastings, NE, from 2017. Its a little higher speed AutoX than at conventions, typically.

Here is my 2013 Convention Autocross Video (still looking for my 2017 video).

2013 Convention Autocross

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 65 4-door/140PG, 66 Monza Vert, 66 AutoX Car, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.