home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Engine swap to garden tractor
Posted by: Rmann67 ()
Date: August 09, 2017 03:55PM

Hello,I'm new to this site which looks like a good way to get some technical information. I've been toying with the idea of putting a corvair engine in a garden tractor for pulling. I am looking for information on what transmissions will mate up so I can turn the engine forward facing. I understand the engine turns opposite rotation. Just wondering how I can make this work. I've seen one other garden tractor set up this way but can't find any information on it. Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks for looking

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine swap to garden tractor
Posted by: handswheels ()
Date: August 09, 2017 04:21PM

Check John Deere 318/420 I think the Onan engines were mounted backwards. Stout transaxle.

Handswheels
Lake County, Illinois
1965 Monza 110 PG Coupe - Daily Driver

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: August 09, 2017 04:25PM

Cool! I was contemplating doing the same thing for a racing tractor, or some sort of goofy tractor with seating for 6 or 9 - I'm a fan of Simplicity 7100 series GT's. What garden tractor are you looking to hotrod? Parts are avail to reverse-rotate the Corvair engine. Given that a garden tractor tends to run constant engine speed (3500 RPM'ish), there's also the "experimental airplane" community that uses Corvair engines for airplanes, which tend to run props at constant speed in that ballpark - you can lean into that community for tips on optimizing power at a single engine speed band.

Given your doing a pulling tractor, maybe the Corvair powerglide held in low gear with a high stall torque converter can drive your rear wheels with a "locked up" posi. Not exactly kosher if this tractor has to comply with some sort of "class rules" but given unlimited modification, this would be a monster.

Another thought is doing something like the Gravely's with the rear engine - just use the Corvair drivetrain as-is, sitting on the engine - you could even do a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission. Counter-weighting would be a challenge.

Another thought is looking at some of the motercycle trikes that run corvair engines.

Keep us in the loop!

Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: August 09, 2017 04:31PM

handswheels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check John Deere 318/420 I think the Onan engines
> were mounted backwards. Stout transaxle.

I have an old Deere 300, and the differential I believe was made by Dana, and the "pumpkin" is bigger than my S10's - it's a monster. Shaft drive from the Kohler 16HP single cylinder K341, into (what I believe is) a Sundstrand 15 hydro drive connected to the diff by a belt.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 09, 2017 04:42PM

Just use a Vair PG transaxle and run it in reverse!! Pulling cannot be over 300 ft?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 09, 2017 05:16PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just use a Vair PG transaxle and run it in
> reverse!! Pulling cannot be over 300 ft?

What's the reverse PG gear ratio?

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 09, 2017 05:23PM

over 27 to 1 I think..

Seth ran an autocross car that way....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 09, 2017 05:35PM

...and have a two speed reverse capability to do 50 mph back to the starting line...

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.