home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Check out the Lakewood parked at Edwards AFB along with some Fast Company!
Date: August 08, 2017 07:42PM

Saw a fuzzy image in one of my Aircraft books in B&W that I thought might have a Corvair parked on the ramp.
Looked online with the tail number and sure enough:

Photo about 1964 - the YF-12 flying for Aerospace Defense Command by the shield on the stabilizer.
One of the most amazing developments from any skunkworks anywhere!

Thanks Kelly Johnson & Lockheed at Burbank!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check out the Lakewood parked at Edwards AFB along with some Fast Company!
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 08, 2017 08:22PM

My Uncle was a Chief Engine Mechanic on the SR-71 and drove a white lakewood to work at Edwards and Plant 42, that car is most likely his and was maintained by my father.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 08, 2017 08:34PM

That's excellent, Dave! I was hoping that someone could reveal some history about this, since SoCal was the center of this development work.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: August 08, 2017 08:39PM

Corvairs were big here in the desert, my father was a well know'n local guy and everyone owned corvairs when he was the Mechanic at the local Chevy dealer,all of my parents friends and family owned and drove corvairs, I am not sure if that car in the picture is a lakewood or 62 monza? My uncle owned both, it might be this car right here in my pic. 62 monza wagon was my Uncles.

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Posted by: MrLakewood ()
Date: August 08, 2017 08:47PM

That is so awesome Dave. Thank you for sharing and keeping Corvairs alive!

Date: August 08, 2017 09:05PM

Tough to say for sure, but your uncle's Monza wagon has a roof rack and perhaps front bumper guards.
Don't really see those features on that little area of the photo. The roof looks clean and I'm also not really seeing those black fake grill inlets on that wagon in the photo, either.

Do you still have your uncle's Monza Wagon out at the Ranch? What was his name, if you don't mind my asking.

Love this stuff!!

Date: August 08, 2017 09:10PM

Lanny Hentges, he died just a few years ago, he also had a 61, my father was also a local at Edwards and worked on the base, almost everyone in this town worked at the base or plant 42 in those days, We built all the military aircraft here and still do.

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: August 09, 2017 08:46AM

Hey Dave. My aunt worked at Edwards since the late 50's. I lived with her and her family in the early 60's, like 1960, for several months. I still remember the sound of the planes breaking the sound barrier. Also the almost daily site of black smoke in a column from a crash. Lancaster in those days was just a desert with a few houses. Where I was there was nothing but desert to the base so the view was good. My aunt worked for a pilot name Scott Crossfield at Edwards. She gave me a box of memorabilia from the base. Stuff not sold in the gift shops now. Original B2 patches, photos and other great stuff. Your a youngster so I doubt we were there at the same times but you certainly got the close up of the Edwards life. I think it's unique, being at the center of so much history. I toured in the late 80's and there is not any place you drive or walk that does not have history. Heck, the South gate is right over the old rocket sled tracks.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: August 09, 2017 09:11AM

Great story Dave!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 95hp. 30 over bored and stroked. 145 block, 165 heads 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone 140 4 speed, 30 over.
1966 4 door 110 pg soon to return to factory 140 PG

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a half mile from my house... \/

Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: August 09, 2017 09:16AM

Just as a side note, memorabilia from the era can be donated to the Edwards, Air Force Flight Test Museum (AFFTM), in your Aunt's name.

My Dad had display models of the Bell X-1A and Bell X-2 that he got from Bell when in worked for them in New York, in the 50's. It seemed like the right place for them, after he passed.

Date: August 09, 2017 09:26AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lanny Hentges, he died just a few years ago, he
> also had a 61, my father was also a local at
> Edwards and worked on the base, almost everyone in
> this town worked at the base or plant 42 in those
> days, We built all the military aircraft here and
> still do.
---------------------==============-------------------
Here's to Lanny! smileys with beer

Next time I'm in Rosamond, we're buyin' drinks in honor of all the team that built freedom in the desert.

When I was young my father was based in Ft.Irwin. We lived outside of Barstow. Desert living makes for tough kids!! He was transferred later to Ft. Bliss - and I grew up in El Paso, TX - again a lifelong desert rat!
Dad worked on missile stuff! Our High School mascot was "Rockets"!!

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 09, 2017 11:22AM

A whole bunch of us grew up as Space Brats.

My Dad worked for NASA for thirty plus years.

Most at JPL as a mechanical engineer on satellite.

A spectrometer Dad built for Apollo 11 still operates.

Earlier in his career he built Atlas, Titan, and Titan II.

The birds JFK had fueled at VAFB in 1962 were my Dad's Atlas's.

Attachments:

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:04PM

Edwards ? I was stationed there when it was Muroc Air
Base, at the time the very first jet fighters -P59 - 3 of them were being tested. One day 2 of them were flying checking for response to radar, the planes were difficult to see out of and the 2 crashed into each other killing both pilots. Larry Cooper
P.S. The Air Corps kept track of crashes but that one was never recorded, I've often wondered why. L.C.

Date: August 09, 2017 06:18PM

WoW, Larry you get the gold star on this one! The name was changed in 1949 to honor Capt. Glen W. Edwards.
You are a Veteran in every sense of the word!! smileys with beer
Old Guys Rock!

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:27PM

Thanks , old guys rock , looking for #94 come October6. Larry Cooper

Date: August 09, 2017 06:55PM

I live in Rosamond, the gateway to Edwards, I see B-1's B-2's and all other military air craft fly over my house almost daily, I always know when we are going to war as they blow stuff up all night out there and it rocks my house!

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Cfred ()
Date: August 09, 2017 07:09PM

Great history and Background, guys. Thanks to you all !!

Dave, my Dad bought 4 Corvairs over the years. We lived in Muscoy, and he bought them at the San Bernardino Dealer. What Dealer did you Dad work for then ??

I bought a new 65 Marina Blue Corsa t Central Chevrolet when I got our of the Navy. Sure wish I still had it.

Fred
Palm Desert, CA

61 Lakewood with 64 front & rear suspension
& front disc brakes
62 Monza Wagon

Date: August 09, 2017 07:27PM

My dad Worked at Starksens chevrolet in Lancaster from 1948 to 1970.

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 09, 2017 07:46PM

larry cooper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks , old guys rock , looking for #94 come
> October 6. Larry Cooper
-----------------------============-------------------

Right ON, Larry! I'm on your "six" coming up quick! Three days ahead and 28 years behind!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.