home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sad Day for Corvair, dead cylinder
Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: August 08, 2017 06:28PM

Hey guys, unfortunately my Corvair has a dead #1 cylinder. The car has been noticeably misfiring and I have always had a puff puff chugging sound with the car running.

I unplugged the spark plug wire off from the distributor while the car was running and there was no change in the engine speed. The only thing that seemed to go away was the puff puff chugging (misfire) sound. There was also no arching from the wire so it isn't getting any power.

Tomorrow will be a compression check and might take the valve cover off for a better inspection. Pretty bummed about this, seems like all I am doing is spending $$$.

Here is the video of the chugging sound:

[www.youtube.com]

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sad Day for Corvair, dead cylinder
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 08, 2017 06:38PM

57 year old car.... fix it and drive on.. most likely a sparkplug wire..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 08, 2017 06:54PM

Could be a head gskt. Try checking torque on that head.

Did you get your dist figured out??

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: August 08, 2017 07:04PM

I have all new wires in. Had the miss even with the old wires. I was going to get help with points, condensor and timing but want to get this figured out first.

Plugs are also relatively new and swapping the #1 plug with another didn't change what happens.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 07:11PM by 4wd430.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: August 08, 2017 07:12PM

Do a compression check !!

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: August 08, 2017 09:19PM

4wd430 Wrote:
>
> I unplugged the spark plug wire off from the
> distributor while the car was running and there
> was no change in the engine speed. The only thing
> that seemed to go away was the puff puff chugging
> (misfire) sound.
There was also no arching from
> the wire so it isn't getting any power.

If the plug is not getting high-tension voltage (the arc - a spark from the wire end itself) There is your problem to check first.
Perhaps the cap has an internal carbon-track short that kills that plug wire, new or not.

Check out the cap inside, check for corrosion in the contacts in the tower that the wires plug into as well.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:24AM

It could be a lifter adjustment too tight and a valve is staying open. A weak cylinder is not necessarily dead.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: August 09, 2017 07:16AM

Are you sure you put the plug wires in their correct location?

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: August 09, 2017 07:17AM

Before all of the more involved checks are performed, if you know there is no spark at that cylinder, you have to fix that first. All of the compression checks, valve adjustments and other tweaks are meaningless if there is no spark.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: August 09, 2017 09:28AM

Sorry guys I misspoke. There is spark. The cylinder doesn't fire however. Will do a compression test

Date: October 17, 2017 07:28AM

Figured this post is long overdue for an update. When I was home for break from school, I did some work and discovered a few things.

I changed my points and condensor and spark is now given to all cylinders. It seems my points were completely burned out from when I had corrosion in my fusebox. (A while back Gen and Temp lights remained on even when car was off and key was out of ignition which burned out points and would kill battery).

The car runs much, much smoother. I still have to work out the choke properly (change the failed open thermostat) in order to hopefully not have the stumbling when initially giving the car gas. It feels like you need to be very gentle on the throttle or else car seems like it will stall out. Carbs spray fine.

Now the bad news. Low compression on cylinder 1 from compression test. When the car is running, I get a puff puff "misfire" sound out of the exhaust. If I remove the plug wire while the car is running, I no longer have the puff puff sound. I swapped the spark plug with the one from the other bank and the same symptoms remain with cylinder 1. The car runs pretty well for the most part but the puff puff sound is very noticeable.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Date: October 17, 2017 07:52AM

4w430: If this is 60 engine I will remind you that head gasket failure was/is
common. I am wondering if the puff puff sound is from exhaust or are you hearing
the noise through that cylinder/head seal. That will also indicate low comp.

Someone above asked if you have checked head torque, I will ask the same question although if it has done this for a length of time he head gasket will burn through. I have seen cyl tops burned too if neglected for a long time.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 17, 2017 07:53AM

Did you perform the check with the engine hot or cold?

What are your numbers from your compression check?

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Date: October 17, 2017 09:04AM

I honestly would have to do it again and give you the number because I had done it over break and I forgot. The other cylinders were at a healthy level but the number one cylinder was noticeably weaker and was losing compression over time, The test was done with a warm engine. The torque of the head bolts were not checked. I didn't have enough time to take out all the pushrod tubes and what not and having done that job recently, I didn't want to get back into it yet.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Date: October 17, 2017 09:25AM

You don't have to remove the oil return tubes to check head torque. You say 'having done that job recently' did you replace O-rings? Did the head nuts easily hold the torque when going back together?

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 17, 2017 09:32AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't have to remove the oil return tubes to
> check head torque. You say 'having done that job
> recently' did you replace O-rings? Did the head
> nuts easily hold the torque when going back
> together?

Oh really? Do I just use an extension? The o-rings were replaced with new viton o-rings earlier this summer. The head nuts seemed to hold the torque fine but during my next break I can go over it again to make sure.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 09:32AM by 4wd430.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 18, 2017 05:52AM

You said puff puff "misfire" out the exhaust. You also said the pushrod tubes were done earlier this summer. I would be chcking the lifter adjustment, especially #1 Exhaust. You may just have a valve that's not closing.
I don't check them running unless there's a problem but if a lifter is sticky and refuses to bleed down it must be adjusted with a little clearance like it's a solid lifter.
Maybe you already tried that and I'm off.
Hopefully your muffler isn't too close, they vary.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: October 18, 2017 09:16AM

The noise out the exhaust that happens with the spark connected and doesn't when the plug wire is off-
sounds like the cylinder is firing but leaking through exhaust valve.
So valve is too tight or is bad.
That would also explain the low compression reading. Back ex valve adjustment off a ways, until it gets noisy. Then recheck compression and/or evaluate noise out exhaust.

Date: October 18, 2017 09:43AM

Since the head held the torque I wouldn't think it has loosened up. I agree with the others above to check rocker arm adjustment.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 18, 2017 05:56PM

I had someone readjust the rocker arms with the engine running quite recently. However, the misfire and the puff puff sound was there before I did pushrod tubes and touched rockers and continued after even after reinstallment and readjustment. There is a puff puff coming out the exhaust and when you put your hand by the tail pipe, you can feel the puffing. You can also hear a puff sound from the direction of the pushrod tubes, especially around the road draft tube.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.