home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Collapsed gas tank on FC
Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: August 08, 2017 02:48PM

My 1961 shorty Rampside stopped running on the way to the cruise-in last Friday. Had to rollback it home. Diagnosed the problem as a fuel issue. No fuel was coming through to line to the mechanical pump with the electric pump running. Plugged line or bad electric pump? Engine runs on a jury rigged can to the mechanical pump.

Finally got under it today and found the tank pushed in maybe 3" at the bottom center. Tank is full, so I'm surprised the pump will not pull some fuel anyway. Could not see where the fuel line comes into the tank. Checked the cap. The cap vents OK. Don't know what caused the tank to collapse. Did not run over anything.

Now the big question. Any easy way to get the tank back into shape? Anyone ever blow it out with air pressure?

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collapsed gas tank on FC
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: August 08, 2017 03:01PM

I don't know if this would work or not.
If you emptied it, removed it, and cleaned it really well, you
might be able to fill it 1/3 way with water, seal the holes, and boil it. Like a
pressure cooker it should expand and pop back out.

Of course it may explode.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Date: August 08, 2017 03:40PM

Tom, thanks for the reply, but I'm hoping for an "on the vehicle fix". Now I guess I could empty the tank, fill it with water and use my stud welder and pull the dent out. But then how to get the water out without removing it from the car. Jim

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 08, 2017 03:49PM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ken ()
Date: August 08, 2017 06:21PM

Your problem probably is a hole in the rubber fuel line that connects to the unit on the top of the tank. A hole in the rubber line will cause the pump to suck air instead of fuel . Ask me how I know . Mine had the exact symptoms your has .

Date: August 08, 2017 06:27PM

By the way, R/R the tank was the easy part . I was careful with the shifting linkage but it wouldn't work right . I finally got it right but it took a while . Mine is a 62.

Date: August 08, 2017 06:43PM

Matt, that must have been an "Ugly Truck" video. It was just what I want to do. I hope he doesn't drill holes in the tank. Big boom when he welds them shut.

Ken, Do you have to drop the tank to access the rubber line?

Thanks for the info. Jim

Date: August 08, 2017 07:00PM

Yes, tank must come out . I read in here where some owners have cut a hole in the metal above the tank and used the hole for access . But , taking the tank out is much more easy in a F/C than a Corvair car except for the shifting linkage . While your at it put in a new stainless sending unit from Clarks .

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:36AM

Just my 2 bit opinion but an origial sender unit is better quality than new replacements. I wouldn't change out one that's working.
Which shorty Rampside? I did a little work on an orange one from Aberdeen SD that he sold a few years ago.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 09, 2017 06:50AM

-No fuel was being pulled from the tank and the tank was nearly full

-Engine ran when you rigged a gas line from a jug

-Tank collapsed as if from a suction issue

It sure sounds like the fuel tank cap was not allowing air to enter as fuel was being pumped out and that the tank collapsed from atmospheric pressure.

Are you sure the fuel cap venting is good?

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: August 09, 2017 07:55AM

I agree with the fuel cap vent mentioned, as for the tank you might try using a suction cup like they use to pull out late model car fenders.

Date: August 09, 2017 12:15PM

Yes, cap venting OK, at least now. The collapse of the tank is a mystery. Interestingly, I did remove the cap when it stopped running and the truck started up and ran a half block. I removed the cap a second time and this time it would not run. May not have been patient enough the second time. It sat in the garage for four days and it started up and ran long enough to put the truck up on ramps with cap removed. That is when I found the collapsed tank.

At home I filled the cap with water and blew into the center hole and air and bubbles came out around the edge of the cap. I might open up the vent holes a little.

EM, I like the suction cup idea unless I have to pull the tank anyway. Who makes the strongest suction cup? If that doesn't work I could epoxy a metal plate with an I-bolt to the tank and pull on that. I'll try:

the suction cup, then the epoxy disc, and then Ugly Truck's air pressure.

If that fixes the tank but still doesn't fix the fuel issue, it could be Ken's idea about the rubber fuel line above the tank and I'll have to pull the tank. Before I do that I probably would remove the electric pump to see if that somehow is blocking the fuel flow. The hoses in and out of the electric pump look pretty old but the pump runs normally, except it does not quiet down as they do when the carbs are full which points to Ken's hole in the rubber hose atop the tank. I'll keep you posted, but his may take a while. Have to do the club newsletter and a number of other things before any more work on the Crampy.

Jim, the Crampy formerly belonged to Ron Stern of New Holland, PA.

Jim

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 09, 2017 12:34PM

If enough suction is applied to any sealed tank, it will collapse at its weakest point. Maybe the vented cap wasn't venting for a bit.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 2manyvairs ()
Date: August 09, 2017 12:58PM

I had put a new vented cap on my FC from the major Corvair vender. Ended up with fuel spewing out of the fuel line at the rear firewall when I disconnected the rubber section. Then had a big whoosh when I took off the gas cap. It may have been vented but didn't blow off at low enough pressure - ruined the tank I had repaired and sealed.

Won't trust new vented caps anymore. I driller a 1/16" hole at the top of the filler neck to vent for sure!

Jeff

1960 700 sedan - blue, #1819
1962 Monza sedan - black w/red cloth interior daily driver
1962 Monza coupe - silver blue/blue 4spd
1963 Greenbrier - standard, "Turdbrier"
1963 Monza cvt - Ivy Green/Fawn It's NOT red !!
1964 Spyder cvt - Blk/Red It's NOT red either !!
1965 Monza ht - retired daily driver, the storage shed
1965 Corsa 140 ht - all good except for how it looks.
1965 Corsa 180 cvt - well, a perfect body at least.
1966 Corsa 140 ht - Red/Red, Canadian w/factory headrests & oil bath,

Date: August 09, 2017 12:58PM

Let us know what you find !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.