home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Installing Lakewood Stainless Steel Trim
Posted by: Jim Bartasevich ()
Date: August 04, 2017 11:02AM

Other than the shop manual, does anyone have any suggestions or hints about installing the stainless steel "character line" trim on a Lakewood? I think the same trim attachment [plastic clips] is used on the '60s and partially on the '62s. I have the clips installed in the body [easily done] but want to confirm the shop manual's directions of hooking the trim piece over one side of the plastic clips and then pushing ["snapping"] it in place on the opposite side. There are also a few metal clips [they look somewhat like arrowheads] on the front edge of the front fender trim that are installed in the trim first and then pushed into the holes in the fenders. I assume these are used because the plastic clips won't conform to the fender curve. Please see the attached photo. Any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Lakewood Stainless Steel Trim
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 04, 2017 12:20PM

A belated Welcome to the CCF! You waited along time to post!

As you know we have several here with 61's / 2's They chime in with their expertise!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MrLakewood ()
Date: August 04, 2017 12:53PM

Welcome to the forum.

Look around towards the end of the stainless trim. There is a open slot to put the plastic clip into the trim. You can then slide it to the proper location for mounting on the car. Take your time as to not bend or damage the trim.

Date: August 05, 2017 07:59AM

Thanks for the info.

Date: August 05, 2017 08:11AM

You are welcome. if you have any other question, please ask! Cheers!

Attachments:
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: August 05, 2017 09:08AM

So, it sounds like you install the clips into the trim first for the curved areas, and into the body first for the straight areas.
Is that correct?

If so, do you prefer to hook the top first and then snap the bottom on for the straight runs?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: August 05, 2017 09:20AM

I put all the clips on the trim prior to installing on the vehicle. My buddy and I both held the trim and lined everything up before snapping the stainless to the fresh paint. We used blue tape to assure a scratch free install.

Once on, there was no reason to move it around. Front round corners, started at the hood and worked back to the doors. Never tighten any of the lock screw/nuts down until you know you are in the final position.

Attachments:
Date: August 08, 2017 12:11PM

Mine has a combination of mostly the plastic clips and metal ones like the attached that are on the driver side rear door only and on the front of curved sections for the front fenders. [see photo] I haven't installed the trim yet. I got some decent, used metal clips from California Corvair. I'm wondering if there was some kind of running production change for the metal clips for the front curve. I have no idea why only the one door has them as well. Over the years, I've picked up several sets of trim to use the best and have found another piece of rear door trim with the metal clips. The holes they go into are small ovals. [see photo]

Attachments:

Date: August 08, 2017 06:18PM

There are also clips that are screw hold downs at the back of each door, aw well at the end of the rear spears (access thru the tail lights) The front trunk (hood) uses screws as well.

Date: August 08, 2017 06:37PM

Yep. I found new substitutes for the rusty old screw clips from California Corvair as well. The threaded portion just need to be shortened a bit. I'm also going for acorn nuts for the ones on the doors that can be seen.

Date: August 12, 2017 10:40AM

I'm going the acorn nut route as well. Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.