home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Corsa vs Monza differences
Posted by: ROD ()
Date: August 02, 2017 08:59PM

I'd like to see more corvairs shiny and on the road than broken and full of rats .... what's that ratio ? Shiny to rats ?

25% shiny 75% rats ?

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 03, 2017 04:39AM

It's ok if one wants to pay more for a numbers-matching car. But be realistic about it and know what you're getting for the price. If I was in the market for a Corsa, I'd expect to pay a reasonable amount more for a numbers-matching car. But on the other hand, if I was in the market for "A" Corvair with the equipment I wanted (and I wanted a 140 to start with), I wouldn't be so enamored with a Corsa as to limit my shopping to just Corsas. I could consider a Monza and plan on adding a Corsa dash later, should I find just what I wanted, equipment-wise, in a cherry Monza. Such a car would possibly be easier to find and less costly to the point that the difference would more than pay for a Corsa dash.

So it's all in what you're looking for and how much more you'll pay for what you want. As for me, if I want a numbers-matching car, I'll pay for it. If that doesn't matter, I won't be so enamored with a Corsa as to limit myself to just that model, thus possibly saving myself some time and money. To each his own.

-Mark

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: August 03, 2017 06:05AM

It is more than just the "dash", you can keep telling yourself that, but there are many unique parts that go into adding the "dash" to a Monza. There are extra wires in the harness (3 unique harnesses) plus a mini harness for the thermistor, which you will need as well, plus the unique heater hose adaptor shroud with the grommet for the thermistor mini harness. How about the vacuum gauge line? Don't forget the special balance tune with the port and fitting for the vacuum tube. I could go on, but you don't care. Corsas are unique and have a large number of specialized parts that do not come on a Monza. That's a basic fact that is evidenced in the cars and the assembly manual.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 03, 2017 07:43AM

Special left front shroud, OK, it has a hole drilled in it. Easy change. It's the turbo right front shroud and heater hose adapter that is very special, different shape. So some Corsa's have a very special right side parts.grinning smiley

I think Mark mentioned all these other special parts in his very first post to start this thread. Wiring, plastic tube, same thing.... Hey, the wire is invisible in this one! drinking smiley

How many more pages can we get this thread to go?confused smiley thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: August 03, 2017 10:55AM

I wonder if all the people that own Corsas are laughing at all the Monza owners??

I own a Monza, but I hope they are !!!smileys with beer

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: August 03, 2017 11:57AM

It's time for a new thread: Spyder versus Monza differences!

At all the local car shows, guys ask me if my Corvair is a Spyder. Outside the Corvair community, nobody knows what a "Corsa" is. So obviously, a Spyder is worth more than a Corsa!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: August 03, 2017 12:08PM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1900colt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > chateau slate....
> >
> > Was this color available on a Monza?
> >
> > Rumor is it was reserved for top of the line
> > cars...SS models and such
> ---------------------==================-----------
> --------
> No rumor. In 1965 & 1966 Chevrolet offered 3
> "upscale" colors each year for the "top Line"
> named models and the SS versions
> Those would be "Impala" "Malibu" "Monza" "Nova"
> The Super Sport of each was also included. In the
> case of Corvair that was the Corsa models.
> Colors were:
> 1965: Evening Orchid, Crocus Yellow, Glacier Gray
> 1966: Marina Blue, Lemonwood Yellow, Chateau Slate

My 65 Monza vert was originally Glacier Gray with the hard to find gray interior.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: August 03, 2017 12:15PM

Murphy Wrote:
> I wonder if all the people that own Corsas are
> laughing at all the Monza owners??
>
> I own a Monza, but I hope they are !!!smileys with beer

I have both. Do I laugh at myself? grinning smiley

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: August 03, 2017 12:21PM

4carbcorvair Wrote:
>
> My 65 Monza vert was originally Glacier Gray with
> the hard to find gray interior.
--------------------=========================--------------------
That would be the 1965 only "Slate"

Photo from Gary Aube's excellent "corvaircorsa.com" site
Mike Petrilla's Corsa Coupe in Glacier Gray

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: August 03, 2017 12:41PM

Nice cars, but I am a realist, so I know how
> little makes a Monza into a Corsa. Certainly not
> worth an oversized aura.

My 1st Corvair was a 62 coupe when I was 10. I fixed it up and drove it when I was 16, by age 17 I had a 65 coupe and by 18 I had a 67 4-door. As a child I immersed myself in Corvair culture with books, Clarks catalouges, Corsa mags, tech guides, shop manuals etc. I knew the differences in the models as a kid and my dream car was still always a 66 Corsa 140. Call it marketing or what you will but I'm smitten by what you consider an "oversized aura" To me it was a special car in group of already special cars. It came with highest HP engine available and had an option of turbo engine that was not an option to any other Corvair. The Corsa was more than a dashboard. The Corsa signified what amazing potential the Corvair could achieve. The Corsa was what part of separated the Corvair from a grocery getter. The Corvair was born as an economy car and the sports car crowd claimed it. GM answered with the Spyder and then the Corsa. You can try and devalue or compare all you want to but its quite a bit more than a dash. It was an inspiring idea for the little car that could. Hell, you could get one with a turbo! This "oversized" aura still works on me every time I walk into the garage and see its low slick body. The "oversized" aura pulls me in every time I peer in the hood at the flat-6 and its multiple carbs. I'm in even deeper when I hear it roar to life. Low slung and though the corners staring at my full instrumentation, I feel the enjoyment of a true GT sports car. So its not just a dash, its aura is an experience, an experience of automotive engineering done right and the badges to boast of it. Sure, I can do a Monza but trying to fake it with badges and robbing a real Corsa dash just to be a fraud is tacky. I had someone try to sell me a faked Corsa and tell me it was the same thing. I can tell you its not. A Monza in my garage would always be a Monza! Corsa dash or not it would miss the "oversized" aura that every Corsa has. Its an aura that I'm fine with. The thread killer is out. Hopefully we can put this to rest.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: August 03, 2017 03:10PM

4carbcorvair Wrote:
> Murphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wonder if all the people that own Corsas are
> > laughing at all the Monza owners??
> >
> > I own a Monza, but I hope they are !!!smileys with beer
>
> I have both. Do I laugh at myself? grinning smiley

Like I said, I can only hope...

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Date: August 03, 2017 07:33PM

To answer Mike's mention of all the small items that make the gauge package work, I know all that, but chose to lump them all together in one phrase - "and everything to make it work". Most, like wiring harnesses and balance tubes, are exchange value anyway. Even the VIN is just a matter of one digit difference on a common VIN tag blank.

Point is, my original statement still stands true. There is nothing beyond the fancy dash/gauge package and a little trim that is different from a Monza. That said, I'm sure it's the marketing people who are laughing, all the way to the bank.

Anyone for a GTO Judge? No got? We make one! Easy as pie! LOLspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-Mark

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 03, 2017 07:53PM

Mark, you are off point, A rusty Corsa will be worth more than a solid Monza, just because its a Corsa! You can try to down play the significance of the Corsa all you want, but the fact remains, a Monza will never be a Corsa, those pesky numbers seem to be worth something! smoking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 04, 2017 03:54AM

A couple years ago, we took the AC Corsa to a winery. Shortly after arriving, a distinguished looking gentleman came up to the car, looked it over and said, "Ah, Corsa - that's Race in Italian. This car must be special". I replied, "Indeed it is!".

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: August 04, 2017 10:42AM

I paid three times as much for my rusty Corsa as I did for my not too rusty Monza and am still happy about it grinning smiley

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Date: August 06, 2017 07:03AM

Wow. Just wow. What a heated topic! I've been avoiding reading this for a couple of days, and was drawn in by the number of pages it has grown in a short time.

There is some good info here, and some serious emotion. This site has awesome Corvair knowledge, and to keep this car family alive, it needs to be accurate, but the level of emotion is unreal. I see the OP's point, if you just want to get into Corvairs, but have a limited budget, you might want to see the value in a Monza, or add the dash to make it your own. davemotohead's point is there IS value in the name, like a Z/28 over a standard Camaro.

I guess society always wants to point their noses up to someone beneath them, no matter where you are in the line-up. 2-door people frown on 4-doors, 140 people look down on 110's, do 110's look down on 95's?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Geez, guys, I've been here 10 years trying to learn what I'm working on so I do it right and don't butcher something of value. How does someone like me that is only keeping the body original get looked at? Am I frowned on for exploring different engine combinations outside what was offered from the factory? The car I'm working on is going on 50 years old, but at least I'm modifying a Monza instead of a Corsa. Wait, there wasn't a Corsa in '68....smiling bouncing smiley And I learned that here!

I find that all the rest of the Chevrolet family look down on us, as all Corvairs were considered lowly to Impala, Chevelle, Camaro, and Nova owners, so can't we all just get along?smileys with beer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Date: August 06, 2017 12:24PM

Johnny B, you nailed it! smileys with beer

We should all get along, which is why I say what I do about the idea of Corsa people looking down on a Monza. Dave Motohead may be right about values today, but that still doesn't give anyone the right to look down on a Monza. They're all Corvairs, after all. And a fancy dash doesn't shave any time off one's lap time in road racing.

As to a Corsa being "special", as I say, hardware wise, it's not any more special outside of the dash and some trim, though the image is "upgrade" to a degree. Just don't mislead the uninformed into thinking a Corsa has some special harware beyond that which it does have.

-Mark

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 06, 2017 12:27PM

Hey:

Ronnie; I have both too. I am laughing at myself for buying both and a Greenbrier. I also turn my nose up when I walk by the Monza. But usually our puppy has just put out a silent but deadly aroma.smiling bouncing smiley

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: August 06, 2017 12:55PM

No one looks down on a Monza. I drive one everyday and have 3. The point you are making sounds like you want to buy a Monza Cheaper than what you would pay for a Corsa then put a Corsa dash in the Monza and say "you wasted your money, my car is the same as yours". If an owner pays a premium for a premium car, it's rude to try and cheapen it by dumbing it down to a lessor value by simplifying it to a few parts difference, when it's much more than that.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: August 06, 2017 02:08PM

Everyone is getting along fine. I have never sensed anyone in Corvair world looking down on cars or people Well,some in the stock crowd get a little cranky sometimes. I have also never sensed being shunned by the Chevrolet crowd. I drive my car regularly and always have positive stuff from the Chevy and Ford car crowd. Even the tuner freaks follow me into gas stations to look at my car. The hotrod crowd could care less about Corvairs but who cares. The Corvair is not a hotrod it's a sports car. Who cares about that any way. I didn't build a car to make friends or be accepted into a crowd. I built a car because that is the car I wanted. 67 airvair however is spewing some nonsense here and showing some real ignorance on Corvairs. I think it is time for me to ignore this thread in its entirety.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.