home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Corsa vs Monza differences
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 26, 2017 07:40AM

Seems the subject came up on another thread, so I figured it would be good to start it under the proper heading.

There seems to be some myths about what was "special" about the Corsa model. Truth is that other than having a clock and the 140 standard, the only things that differed were the following items:

(Exchange items):
dash panel (w/extra instruments)
front fender emblems (nameplate)
shift boot
interior door emblems
horn button
glove box door w/emblem
wheel cover centers
wrinkle black in place of wrinkle silver ('65 only) on dash and glove box door/surround

(Added items):
pin stripe ('65 only)
rear cove painted argent silver
rear exhaust grill/surround in aluminum
rear quarter emblems
head temp thermister, high temp buzzer (turbo only), and wiring to make them and the other added instruments work

Other than that, there wasn't even one fastener's worth of difference. No special suspension, quick shifter, etc., nothing!

But while it restricted (unavailable) the automatic trans and (on turbo and '65 only) the a/c, it did open it up to the turbo engine option.

All the above for a list price difference (taking the clock and 140 options into consideration) of just $74.20. Essentially the Corsa is little more than a spiffy dash panel and some trim. Plus an overblown marketing image.

So much for the Corsa myth.

-Mark

P.S. This is not to deny that the Corsa dash panel's beauty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corsa vs Monza differences
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:00AM

The Corsa was only produced for 2 years, Most cars that were ordered with the F41 and quick steering packages were Corsa's, you could only get a Turbo in a Corsa for 2 years and it was never offered in a Monza, 66 Corsa 140 with A/C is a very rare car. I believe all Yenko cars were Corsa modles, Add all those facts up and the Corsa is worth a lot more in resale value than a Monza, That is no myth But fact. Step up your Game Mark,,buy. Corsa!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 08:10AM by davemotohead.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:04AM

I've yet to see a Monza with a factory 180 turbo but okay. Myth busted. Marketing works.

Myth or not, Corsa models are still more valued than a Monza, just as they were over 50 years ago. I guess that marketing plan had some legs! grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:57AM

Let us not forget the vin tag as well as the product plate both state what model the car is or was. Bragging rights also would come into play.

Date: July 26, 2017 09:00AM

Why I only collect Corsa's, They are worth more than Monza's and that is not a myth.

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 26, 2017 09:03AM

The Argent Cove color is what does it for me! Why ALL my LM's are that way..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: July 26, 2017 09:37AM

My first Corvair was a Corsa Turbo so I'm a bit biased in favor of them, didn't know just how rare it really was until many years after I sold it.
While my Monza is a factory 140/4spd just as my new Corsa project is there is no doubt as to which one is worth more, not that I have plans to sell either of them.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Date: July 26, 2017 09:42AM

I didn't forget the VIN, as that one digit (5 vs 7) in the number would be part of it being a model, instead of a trim package, like the Spyder was in '62-3. So that not being mentioned was intentional.

The purpose of this all is to 1)deflate anyone's thinking that there was any more differences to the hardware than what there was, and 2)for those who aren't into numbers-matching stock cars, to include Monzas in with looking for "that prize Corsa", because they could get near what they want, at a possibly lower price, and it will be easier to find, IF they just consider adding the Corsa dash to a Monza in the compromise. (And how many non-Corsa cars have had a Corsa dash added to them?)

Point being is that if you aren't into numbers-matching stock cars, and just how many of us are (it seems to be a low percentage), then don't hold the Corsa model in too artificially high a value.

I'm reminded of the GTO Judge. A purely decorative trim package, all the components of which have been reproduced. For some reason, the GTO people are enamored with the Judge to the point where the package adds thousands to the value. All this has resulted in more Judge clones out there than were Judges built. At least the Corsa had a worthwhile dash panel. But that's about it. Even then, I don't think the (real) Corsa cars should be worth that much more than an equivalent-equipped Monza. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-Mark

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 26, 2017 09:46AM

I had acquired a 65 CORSA that had a Monza body tag. At first I thought someone added the CORSA options, but I found the dealer bill of sale. It was sold new as a CORSA.
I really don't think someone in January 1966 would have gone through all the trouble to correctly and completely CORSA-ize a Monza. A dealer wouldn't have likely bothered. So I concluded it was mis-identified somewhere from factory to dealer.

Not too surprised. A friend in the 1970's had a Ford station wagon that the Vehicle ID # never matched the title. That was likely a lazy dealer goof!

Corventure Dave

Date: July 26, 2017 09:55AM

Title errors due to the registrar can happen. I once found an early '68 Monza coupe titled as a '67, probably because the registrar was so used to typing "1967" that they weren't paying attention to the car's actual year. Question is, just how do you get something like that fixed?

-Mark

Date: July 26, 2017 10:58AM

A Corsa will always be worth more than a Monza, You cannot deflate the facts or anyone's thinking of that fact, The purpose of this thread is null and Void as you are never going to deflate the value of a Corsa or inflate the value of a Monza, Try as you may, you are not going to change any ones way of thinking, and they will still say Dizzy and Turkey roaster!

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 26, 2017 11:12AM

I had a GM car in Calif.... Title VIN did not match car's.... went to register and let Clerk know.... they checked and their records were straight.... was the 2nd digit.. Title was just misprinted!

New title in my name came with correct number.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:21PM

In my "likes column" that Argent Silver rear cove is a huge item in the Corsa's favor. Sort of like the SS badge on a Chevelle. Jim

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:26PM

I did not see anyone mention that ONLY Corsa Turbos had the cut out at right rear body for the exhaust tailpipe.

Date: July 26, 2017 12:30PM

The Monza Turbo had the Cut out also! Oh wait! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:31PM

Mark is secretly lusting for a Great buy on a Corsa....So he is trying to knock down the market price😁

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:38PM

I registered a Volvo a few years back here in Colorado. I read the title and for vehicle it stated "VOLK". On my other vehicle (also a Volvo) it stated "VOLV".
I went back to our DMV showing them my 2 titles and they said they made a mistake and it needed to be corrected in Denver. About 6 weeks later our new title arrived and it said "VOLV".

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:44PM

It's like this with many car makers, even today. We can occasionally can get a new truck that is called a "New England Edition". Which basically consists of decals and an engine/block heater.

"Packages" are an upsell for any car maker. Most buyers choose to not buy the more expensive packages, causing prices to possibly go up many years later. Buyers want that rare or unusual package, if not many of them are out there, prices show it.

Like it or not, as others said, Corsa's will be worth more.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: July 26, 2017 12:50PM

If you set to identical Corvairs side by side, one is a 66 Corsa 140 as delivered from the factory, the other is a 66 Monza Corsa clone, Both cars are identical and have the same options, the one with the Corsa body tag will be worth more.

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 26, 2017 01:08PM

Of Corsa!grinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.