Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 67 Monza coupe - I bought it.
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 14, 2018 08:02AM

Looks like you took it back to the original Madeira Maroon. Gorgeous! And my favorite!

Best wishes!
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: May 14, 2018 12:05PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like you took it back to the original
> Madeira Maroon. Gorgeous! And my favorite!
>
> Best wishes!
> -Mark

Nope, it is "Ruby Flare Pearl". 2015-18 Toyota Camry color.

Anita had/has the same color on her 2015 and 2018 Camry's.

Figured it would help her "accept" another Corvair around the house! And it does look GOOD.

Date: May 22, 2018 02:42AM

Made another visit Monday to the body shop. Front and Rear windshields are in.
I delivered the last 2 pieces of windshield trim. Dash area around the radio speaker had a fresh coat of black trim paint.

Some progress putting trim back on. The new set of window fuzzies is installed. Drip rail trim is on and looks nice. Roof rail weather strip was installed. Rear bumper was on. One of the rear bumper guards is starting to show rust:

Headlight bezels are showing some age:

Outside door handles are showing some corrosion:

So we ordered a new set of door handles from Clarks. Should arrive on Friday.

Shop asked if I was going to order new gaskets for the door handles. Told them I thought I did. We found a well wrapped brown paper bag of parts in the very bottom of the Clark's box. It had the door handle gaskets and half a dozen other small trim items in it. So that ended well.

Date: May 27, 2018 03:23AM

More progress on Saturday afternoon. Just about there.

Still needs to get wheel well moldings installed.

Date: August 02, 2018 09:57AM

Long over due update:

Got the car home from the paint shop on June 5 and it looks great!

First trip in the car was to Costco to fill up the gas tank. But found a locking gas cap on the car and never got a key for it. Just made it back home and into the garage as the engine sputtered, out of fuel. After drilling out the locking gas cap and removing it, I put 2 gallons of gas in the tank and tried to restart the engine. No luck. So I left the car alone for a "few" days that turned into several weeks.

Next time I got back to the Corvair, I noticed a small gasoline drip on the bottom of the gas tank. Turned out to be from the fuel tank float assembly. So the tank was drained and parts ordered from Clarks. In the mean time, I made several unsuccessful attempts to restart the car. The pump had losts it's prime and would not pull gas from the tank. I finally used an electric and a gas can to fill the carburetors with gas to get the engine running again. Now with the carburetors filled the old mechanical fuel pump had no problem pulling gas from the tank.

A new tank float assembly arrive from Clarks when I was at the Pittsburgh convention. It will be installed shortly.

Next, was a trip to Discount Tire to buy 4 new 195/65 x 15 Michelin's. These tires are exactly the same height as the OEM 700 x 13 tires.

Later this month, new Clarks seat covers will be installed, front and rear.

All for now.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 02, 2018 10:59AM

Good progress...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 06, 2019 12:25AM

All most 8 months since the last update and not much progress to report. Life has a way of getting us distracted from projects.

Because my time has been consumed by other facets of life, I have had Rod T. do some work on the Corvair.

He tuned it and sorted out all kinds of fuel system problems from previous "work".
Including fuel filters installed backwards and bent pushrods. 110 hp engine has a very even 120 psi compression test on each cylinder.

Tail pipe was insaled on muffler backwards, so it stuck out from rear grill. Not good for new paint job. So new exhaust was ordered from Clarks. But I simply could not remove stud holding coil and going thru muffler hanger. After months of trying of and on and purchasing new tools, I asked Rod to solve the problem for me.

Engine runs very nicely now. Time to start putting some driving miles on the car and sort things out.

Need a couple of pieces of engine tin near the rear motor mount. Once I get that, the rear grill will go back on. Hope to find the tin at the Rainbow swap meet on April 27.

Next major project is to install sound deadening in the car. To that end, I purchased an inexpensive sound meter so I can take before and after readings.

Way back in 1973, I took a test drive in Art Hershberger's demo Solar Cavolier. It was the quietest Corvair I have ever been in. You simply could not shift the engine by ear. I was totally impressed at the time and still am. So sound deadening is going into this Corvair before the renovatated interior is done.

I hope/expect to post actual before and after sound measurement, rather than the normal subjective assesements that can be very subjective.

My planned A/C installation keeps getting pushed off. But I do have just about all the parts required.

Again, not much progress. Just lots of ambition or dreams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 12:30AM by john.jackson.

Date: April 25, 2019 06:23PM

New Koni rear shocks installed today!

Got rid of that terrible noise in the rear suspension with the old right rear shock lower bushing totally gone.

Hopefully, next month, we can get the front end sorted out with new shocks and some bushings replaced. Then the full 4 wheel alignment.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: April 25, 2019 07:18PM

kool! thumbs up Keep at it and let us know any progress! smileys with beer

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: May 01, 2019 05:28PM

Discovered the parking lights work but not the headlights when I tried to take the car out at dusk last Sunday. Also found the turn signals are screwed up. Trying to turn on left turn blinker results in horn tooting!

So took the car in to Broadway Auto Electric in Lemon Grove for a complete electrical system check out and repair. Broadway Auto Electric is a very busy and well respected old time shop.

Quickly found a bad high beam switch and a broken turn signal switch. A quick trip with my Clark's catalog back to the shop identified the correct turn signal switch to order - C864.

Also found quit a bit of corrosion in the fuse panel. So it will be removed, cleaned and reinstalled. With that it should be good for years to come.

Tomorrow morning I will order it from Clark's. Hopefully, that will complete the repairs. But if they find anything else, now is the time to fix it.

Expect to have the car back Monday, depending on how fast the USPS can deliver the turn signal switch from Shelburne Falls to San Diego.

Date: May 06, 2019 10:10PM

Got the car back this afternoon. New Clark's turn signal switch installed, new turn signal flasher, new dimmer switch. Discovered the windshield wiper switch is bad. Need to order a new one from Clark's or pull it of the 68 parts car I have in storage.

Maybe not a good idea to replace the wiper switch with another 50 year old one??

Radio doesn't work and no doubt the original dash speaker is trash. So what to do about that? Then I noticed that there is no external radio antenna. Looks like the body shop welded the hole up when they replaced the lower corners of the windshield.

So the question is what to put in for a radio antenna. A fixed length FM antenna? A motorized retracting antenna? A stock A.M. antenna.

Any input would be appreciated. Also seeking suggestions for a replacement radio, AM/FM preferred and would be nice to keep stock "look" for the radio

Later this week the plan is to replace the cracked dash pad with a good used one I got from California Corvair.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 06, 2019 10:35PM

john.jackson Wrote:
> Got the car back this afternoon. New Clark's turn
> signal switch installed, new turn signal flasher,
> new dimmer switch. Discovered the windshield
> wiper switch is bad. Need to order a new one from
> Clark's or pull it of the 68 parts car I have in
> storage.
>
> Maybe not a good idea to replace the wiper switch
> with another 50 year old one??
>
> Radio doesn't work and no doubt the original dash
> speaker is trash. So what to do about that? Then
> I noticed that there is no external radio antenna.
> Looks like the body shop welded the hole up when
> they replaced the lower corners of the
> windshield.
>
> So the question is what to put in for a radio
> antenna. A fixed length FM antenna? A motorized
> retracting antenna? A stock A.M. antenna.
>
> Any input would be appreciated. Also seeking
> suggestions for a replacement radio, AM/FM
> preferred and would be nice to keep stock "look"
> for the radio

>
> Later this week the plan is to replace the cracked
> dash pad with a good used one I got from
> California Corvair.

My preference for any of the old classics that I have owned, is to keep the factory AM radio in the dash, and put a new stereo in the glove box, or under the seat.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Date: May 19, 2019 01:20PM

Some progress, but I keep seeing road blocks.Removing the dash pad was easy. See this thread:

[corvaircenter.com]

But I keep loosing or misplacing the speednuts or Pal Nuts. This thread told me what there were called and how to find replacements

[corvaircenter.com]

After some research on this forum, I ordered an assortment of 125 Pal Nuts on Ebay for $23.70 Should be here in 3 or 4 days. Should solve that problem. But like a typical Corvair owner, I noticed the same product for $22.50 just two minutes after I completed my PayPal payment.

New sway bar bushings (all 6), idler arm, pitman arm bushing, strut rod bushings from Clark's are being installed at the shop today. Also having them install an NOS pair of John Fitch steering arms and a full 4 wheel alignment.

Plan on picking the car up from shop on Monday.

Clark's was out of stock on front Koni shocks. Looks like mid June availability. Fitch AEON front bushings will go in at the same time as the front Koni shocks.

Suspect we have more work to do on the rear suspension, I am still hearing a few clunks and bangs on ruff roads. Also sorting out a few details to install Fitch AEON rear rubber springs.

More to follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 01:27PM by john.jackson.

Date: May 19, 2019 01:39PM

I am quite excited about the improved headlamps I have ordered.

For more than 10 years, I have followed Daniel Sterns light consultancy. I followed his suggestions on my 96 VW Passat and was amazed by the headlights performance on cross country trips and around town.

What I ordered is a 4 lamp set of E-Code Halogen headlights. Also ordered a full relay harness kit and 10 gauge dual cable wire to provide both positive and negative connections to the battery.

I need to figure out the best/reasonable way to run the 10 gauge wire from the battery to the headlamps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Date: May 19, 2019 01:50PM

One important thing right now.

The really neat thing about this community is the people we meet and the level of kindness we show each other in our shared hobby.

A few posts back, I posted pictures of my relatively poor condition headlight bezzles.

Well, I was contacted by another forum member who offered his spare set of bezzles simply for the postage.

Well, I accepted and was amazed at their condition. When my new lights go in, I hope to post pictures,

Just wanted to share this with the community. Over the last few years, I have seen a number of such simple acts of Kindness.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:27PM

I use the 12 ga. Horn relay feed...very little voltage drop.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 19, 2019 02:39PM

MattNall Wrote:
> I use the 12 ga. Horn relay feed...very little voltage drop.

Yes, Matt. I spotted that and was curious. It would solve some potential problems.

My silly concern is 50+ years of oxidation on the wiring. Know some of us are
way more crazy than others about keeping to OEM specifications.

Maybe I should just run a new 10 gauge cable to the horn relay and call it good.

Serious thought. Input from others please.

Date: May 19, 2019 04:02PM

American Mel Wrote:
> john.jackson Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Got the car back this afternoon. New Clark's turn
> > signal switch installed, new turn signal flasher,
> > new dimmer switch. Discovered the windshield
> > wiper switch is bad. Need to order a new one from
> > Clark's or pull it of the 68 parts car I have in
> > storage.
> >
> > Maybe not a good idea to replace the wiper switch
> > with another 50 year old one??
> >
> > Radio doesn't work and no doubt the original dash
> > speaker is trash. So what to do about that? Then
> > I noticed that there is no external radio antenna.
> > Looks like the body shop welded the hole up when
> > they replaced the lower corners of the
> > windshield.
> >
> > So the question is what to put in for a radio
> > antenna. A fixed length FM antenna? A motorized
> > retracting antenna? A stock A.M. antenna.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated. Also seeking
> > suggestions for a replacement radio, AM/FM
> > preferred and would be nice to keep stock "look"
> > for the radio

> >
> > Later this week the plan is to replace the cracked
> > dash pad with a good used one I got from
> > California Corvair.
>
> My preference for any of the old classics that I have owned, is to keep the factory AM radio in the dash, and put a new stereo in the glove box, or under the seat.

Mel, did not mean to ignore your comment/advice. Just more new stuff happening or getting in the way of a functioning radio!

Thinking I need to replace speaker, since the dash, etc is out. Or perhaps just keep putting A/C install off till I get everything perfect??

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.