Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 67 Monza coupe - I bought it.
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 01, 2019 10:59PM

Clark's is still out of stock on front Koni shocks. Called today, they did not have a delivery date, but expected them "any day now"

Took the 69 convertible out last weekend for the first time in about 6 months for a 125 or so mile trip with San Diego Corvair Club to Pacific Southwest Railroad Muesuem in Campo. The Convertible ran fine, but I need to speed up the A/C instalation in the 67 Coupe.

No longer used to a non A/C car.

Got spoiled in 71 or 72 when I installed factory A/C in my original 1969 Coupe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 11:07PM by john.jackson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: July 02, 2019 12:29AM

'No longer used to a non A/C car.' Me Too! (I think AGE has to do with it!) lol

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: March 17, 2020 11:36PM

It has been 8.5 months since I have had anything to post about this project. Been busy with other things.

This week I asked my son for help getting restarted on the project, since he is out of work because of COVID-19. We/he got all the seats out of the car and we took them to the upholstry shop today with some Clarks seat covers to be installed. Also got door panels off and have one more rear panel to remove.

Tomorrow we get rid of the old package tray and the Jute insulation behind it.

Plan is to clean the rear seat area and wipe it down with solvent. Then applay sound deadening material to isolate the cabin from the engine compartment noise.

What we see so far looks like just a bit of surface rust from 53 years..It is a Southern California car all it's life .

So my question is what are your suggestions to prep a good clean surface to start laying down sound deading materials.

Should I/we Pour 15 the rear seat area, then apply the sound deading materials?

All input appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: March 18, 2020 05:46AM

Por-15 the rusted areas otherwise any moisture will cause the rust to fester between the sound deadening and accelerate a rust through.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Date: March 20, 2020 04:56PM

After pulling the front carpet on the drivers side we found a bunch of rust on the floor pan area. Clearly it has to be fixed.

My question is what is the best way to have this done? Is their a specific Clark's Corvair part I should order?

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 20, 2020 04:59PM

Clark's sells floor pans. [www.corvair.com]

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: March 20, 2020 05:57PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clark's sells floor pans. [www.corvair.com]

Joel, thanks for the pointer. Guess my real question is does anyone have a better solution or experience with this issue?

My own suspicion is that this is the best thing to do for the long run, with a good seem sealer over the welded in repair.

The shop that did my original body repairs and paint job did a GREAT job on 2 or 3 other projects I have knowledge of. Their work was/is excellent and the price very reasonable. Only issue is they are 90 miles away and my job fits into their schedule. Meaning quite a while.

Given the current virus conditions and the fact that my son is out of work. It is healthy for me to have his help on the project.

May have a AAA body shop 4 miles from home that has treated me well in the past.

Just want to know what others think is the best way to fix this problem.

Thanks,

JJ

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 20, 2020 06:02PM

There isn't a better solution than new floor pans. There may be quicker cheaper ways. You could find a donor car and just cut out the sections needed. Some people treat the rust and then fiberglass over the area which seems to work fine but isn't "best".
It just depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it.
I had a '63 that someone used street signs to make new floors. They actually did a really nice job. They fit great and no leaks but it was far from stock.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: March 20, 2020 07:18PM

Ive seen floor boards repaired with POR-15. A coat of POR-15 is put down, then a layer or fiberglass mesh. POR-15 is then poured over the mesh until saturated and left to dry. Your holes may be a bit large for this method but thought I would mention it.

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Date: March 22, 2020 11:38PM

Gentlemen, Thank You for your input. I will be ordering a patch panel from Clarks in the morning.

JJ

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.