Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Modifying alloy bracket for remote oil filter hoses
Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 04:58AM

Hi all (again)

Re my Corvair engine to 914 Porsche project.

The engine as purchased has had the oil filter housing cut off and welded closed. That in itself is not a problem to me since the oil filter in that original location would foul the 914 firewall.

What I would like to do is modify this piece to take fittings for a remote oil filter. There is not enough 'meat' in this piece as is to be able to simply drill and tap new holes for new oil filter fittings. That means I will have to have extra alloy welded on to 'beef' it up, and then drill and thread into that beefed up section.

If anyone else has been down this path then I'd appreciate any wisdom they might have.

Also, what size fittings? AN10? AN12? The oil filter will be remote mounted at the other end of the engine, so hoses will only be 18" or so long each.

I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about as soon as my camera has recharged!!

Thanks in advance
Dave
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modifying alloy bracket for remote oil filter hoses
Date: July 20, 2017 05:05AM

Two photos now included.

Maybe I should add 'beef' to the top side and come straight out the top?

Attachments:

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: July 20, 2017 05:07AM

If you need to go back to stock Corvair engines do fit in the 914 with stock oil filter and stock 12 row oil cooler.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: July 20, 2017 05:11AM

If you are going to open that back up and weld on it some more anyway just weld your AN fittings in place

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Date: July 20, 2017 05:25AM

Thanks for the replies Rod.

Will fit in 914 with stock oil filter? Really. That's a revelation to me. All I've been told to date is that it wouldn't fit. Great to find out that it will - that gives me another option.

And yes, just weld the new fitting on. I am so stupid not thinking of that. This means I can simply open the housing up take the fittings, and then have them welded into place. What size do you reckon. AN12?

Two responses and two great solutions.

Thanks
Dave
Oz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 05:33AM by DaveO90s4.

Attachments:
Date: July 20, 2017 05:52AM

Barb fittings with hose clamps also work for a low tech way to get it done. Take your parts to the place where you purchase fittings and you will decide male , female , swivel , or whatever you want. The biggest problem is going to be changing the belt if you don't plan the hose routing. No one likes having to disconnect messy oil lines just to replace a belt so give that a bit of thought.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Date: July 20, 2017 05:56AM

The threads on the AN fittings that go into the housing can be turned down

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Date: July 20, 2017 06:02AM

The mechanical fuel pump will also fit if you ever decide to go that route. They are more reliable than the cheap $50 empi or facet electric pumps if you ask me. Just be sure to buy a quality one.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Date: July 21, 2017 02:46AM

Thanks for your additional replies Rod.

Fortunately my carb'd 914 car already has a very good low pressure electric fuel pump so I'm hoping that will deliver enough juice reliably.

I hope to be able to post a picture of my pre-modified oil filter mounting now further modified with welded on fittings for my remote filter.

Yes, your point about simple fan belt replacement is well made. I think the oil lines may well end up running up and horizontally over the top of the fan shroud but beneath fan belt to some yet to be decided nearby oil filter housing mount - possibly somewhere up beside my 914 transmission where can get to it easily from under the car (a filter can with a hex head on the bottom would make changing the filter can even easier).

I think I now need to remove the 914 engine and transmission, bolt the transmission to the Corvair engine, and stick it all up into position so I can really see how much room I have or don't have where.

Cheers
Dave

Date: July 28, 2017 02:43AM

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few photos of my remote oil filter hose fittings. These are AN10 150 deg bend. The hoses run beneath the fan belt and will run over the top of the fan tinware to a remote filter mounted outside the engine bay beside the gearbox (this being a 914 mid mount gearbox aft of engine set up).

The hoses are to get me up and running - to be replaced by fixed lines once the car is driveable and clearances are better knowm

Dave
Oz

Sorry = I see they're sideways. OK for those on the equator maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 02:45AM by DaveO90s4.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 28, 2017 08:21AM

Looks great!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:43PM

Here is what I did on the '63 VW project. Modify rear housing and alt/oil filt adapter. Fabbed up a ducted box for the Earls oil cooler. -08 hoses/fittings. Greddy thermostatic oil filter block, Thermostatic controlled fan on top of oil cooler.
Cooler mounted in left rear corner of van.

Attachments:

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:49PM

Installed a late rear suspension as well! It is a 102 auto. Has Clarks dual exhaust system and A/C brackets and many other parts from Them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 05:53PM by solo2r.

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:55PM

The low-tech way is to do what Crown suggested for their VW Van/Kombi conversion. Cut off the stock oil filter, then tap the holes for 1/4-NPT threads. Use 2" NPT close fittings, Those are basically brass pipe that is threaded on both ends. Then slide the -8 hose over it and clamp it down. It is cheap, it works and those fittings provides as much flow as the stock filter feed. The only draw back is that you are inside the fan belt. Replacing the belt becomes more work. I installed a spare and wire-tied it up on the filter for use later.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: BudShort ()
Date: January 16, 2018 05:16PM

I didn't want to go to that much trouble to have a remote oil filter. I just put a Trans Dapt 90° oil filter bypass adapter on a Clark's spin on filter adapter and ran the hoses. One bolt and a big zip-lock bag and I can easily change the fan belt on those rare occasions where I might need to (saves having to snake the hoses up under the belt)

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.