Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
San Diego 2020 - things to do
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:00AM

As many of you know the 2020 CORSA convention will be in San Diego July 7 to July 11.

San Diego has a lot of things to do when you are here. Below are links to a pair of Los Angeles Times stories about some of the things to do when you are in San Diego.

This one is about the local craft beer highlights:

[www.latimes.com]

This one is about Comic-Con International:

[www.latimes.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: San Diego 2020 - things to do
Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:04PM

It would be great if we could do a Corvair caravan to Torrey Pines. A trip to Stone Brewery in Escondido is also a great destination.
Jeff

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:16PM

If you deep sea fish Point Loma is world renowned.

Been out of there many times...Mexican waters are loaded.

[www.pointlomasportfishing.com]

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:48PM

Sea World and the Zoo ..... Balboa Park for the museums .... old town.... Sea Port Village .... all neat family activities.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 19, 2017 09:02PM

Palomar Observatory.... 200" reflector... open to the public.. and Julian is close by

[www.visitjulian.com]

[www.sdzsafaripark.org]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 09:05PM by MattNall.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 19, 2017 09:20PM

My Son is Buying a house down there, So I will definitely be drinking beer with Rod! smileys with beer

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 21, 2017 01:28PM

Made it to San Diego for the first time ever about 4 years ago. Loved it. I believe it is the Nimitz that is the floating museum? Also enjoyed strolling around in the Gas Lamp district across from the hotel. If I can make it to the convention, there will definitely be some time on one end or the other to spend in the city. Should be a great venue for the convention.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: July 21, 2017 01:47PM

USS Midway is the Aircraft Carrier Museum/Entertainment Facility.

Google Map

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 01:53PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Date: July 21, 2017 02:11PM

Lets not forget about those Padres.

Petco Park is a really nice facility.

[www.mlb.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 23, 2017 05:49PM

thanks Dan, I was too lazy to look it up. never thought about using Google. confused smiley

The USS Midway was a great tour all the same.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 23, 2017 07:42PM

We used to take our kids every year to Legoland and also my wife loved the flower fields also in Carlsbad.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: July 23, 2017 10:31PM

[www.pointlomasportfishing.com]

????
Phil,
For me it's easier to go to the south end of that parking lot and order a good seafood meal.

[www.pointlomaseafoods.com]

My Ex wife's brother lives up the side of the hill from there. He has to put up with this view from his patio deck every morning

Attachments:
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 24, 2017 06:25AM

Point Loma Seafood is GREAT for lunch! Was there last week.

Also, they have the freshest fish in town and a great selection. We go there to buy seafood simply because it is the best on the grill!

[www.pointlomaseafoods.com]

Date: July 24, 2017 06:45AM

You guys are making my point about the great fishing out of Point Loma.

The reason local fish restaurants are so good is because of Point Loma.

Date: November 28, 2017 09:16PM

Since it's cold, rainy, snowy, icy, and downright inhospitable, let's talk about more fun we are going to have in San Diego during the 2020 convention, eh?!

B u M P!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: November 28, 2017 10:15PM

Casa de Pico in Old Town.
I'd say form a "Over the Line" team for Fiesta Island,but that wouldn't make sense.

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: November 29, 2017 06:53AM

Around 1993 a co-worker and I were on travel and arrived in San Diego on an early flight. We had several hours before our meeting and decided to go to the San Diego Auto Museum. It was just after opening on a Tuesday, and as we were walking into the museum, the curator and his staff were rolling their yellow Tucker Torpedo toward an exit. We walked up to the staff and talked to them about the car. The curator asked me a lot of questions about the car to see if I knew of its history. He was very shocked that I knew many of the answers to his questions (what I didn't admit was I had watched the movie "Tucker" with Jeff Bridges a couple of weeks prior on video). The curator was so impressed that he suggested that we follow them as they rolled it outside. The curator explained that he was going to take it out for a drive. He said they did this once a month to ensure the engine and transmission were properly lubricated and to ensure everything else worked properly. Once outside they checked all the lubricants, inspected the car, then cranked it up. It sounded great. A couple of minutes later, one of the staff brought us each a pair of paper coveralls and a pair of covers for our shoes. The curator told us to put them on and then climb in. He took us on an hour ride around San Diego. The car seemed to handle and rode VERY well. After the ride, my co-worker said I had a grin from ear to ear the entire time. The experience made me feel like a kid again. I was just so happy I couldn't stop thanking the curator. By this time we were running a little late and we didn't get to really see the other automobiles in the museum, but that didn't really matter. If they still have this Tucker in their museum, I'd definitely make it a place to visit.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 29, 2017 01:42PM

Carlsbad and Vista Calif. are north of San Diego and there are a couple of interesting places to visit.

Carlsbad - Miniature Engineering Museum
[www.youtube.com]

Vista - Antique Gas and Steam Museum
[agsem.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 29, 2017 02:48PM

San Diego Attractions

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 02:49PM by MattNall.

Posted by: jack bacon ()
Date: November 29, 2017 05:11PM

Don't forget the great model railroad layout in Balboa Park, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. I was fortunate to be able to take one of the trains out the layout from start to finish, a real treat.

Jack Bacon

CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Membership Chairman
Corvair Minnesota President
Corvair Minnesota Memberhip Director
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts
Corvanatics
garagejournal.com
1962 Rampside baby blue

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.