home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
what oil should I run?
Posted by: RonnieG ()
Date: July 18, 2017 11:14AM

'65 Turbo, in TX.

I assume synthetic, but not sure what weight you turbo owners run.....??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what oil should I run?
Date: July 18, 2017 11:29AM

Synthetic 10-30 Is a great choice
SuperTech full Synthetic at Walmart is about $18 a gallon and great stuff, IMHO

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: RonnieG ()
Date: July 18, 2017 11:31AM

do you use a ZDDP additive?

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: July 18, 2017 02:04PM

The best protection will be with 10W-30 diesel formulation (CI-4 or CJ-4). For the moment I'd stay away from CK-4 until it is all up to snuff.

No additional additives unless you are a chemist with a lot of money to burn.

The long version of this answer is the link in my signature.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 10:50AM

No zink in the oil meeans the potentil is there to wipe out a cam logs nd ruin lifters. Read Richard1s article. I'm running the Royal Purple UPS 10w30. It has zinc and phosphorous already in it.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: July 19, 2017 11:02AM

I run 10w-30 Rotella which is available in a Synthetic Blend, but not full Syn.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: curt ()
Date: July 19, 2017 12:33PM

Phosphorous and zinc zre both needed in proper concentrations, I believe Zinc added alone presents difficulty.

Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: July 19, 2017 01:12PM

For my 1966 turbo, I am using Rotella full synthetic 5W40 in blue container found at any Walmart here in Maryland. On the back it states 'Meets API service CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4'. I assume it still includes some zinc for our lifter/cam lubrication.....

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: July 19, 2017 01:24PM

A lot of people like Brad Penn 10w-30 for these cars, I believe it meets all the requirements Richard outlined above. You generally have to order it online however. There is a machine shop near me that carries it.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: July 19, 2017 06:53PM

I have debated for a long time whether to mention this knowing oil threads are tricky business! But I want to share something. I was an active member in the vintage BMW motorcycle circles and owned a 1967 BMW R50/2 until a year ago. Very similar concerns about ZDDP and of course they are running air cooled horizontally opposed engines of a similar vintage. Experts in that area stopped using Rotella several years ago when the formula changed. It isn't the same as it was and the experts there won't use it anymore. Our club paid for oil analysis and it substantiated the concerns. The oil analysis was also used to find a new alternative and it showed Valvoline VR racing oils (for Corvairs that would typically be in 10w 30) had excellent ZDDP and desirable properties. So that is the vintage BMW motorcycle go to option based on analysis. I am sure there are other great options too like Brad Penn etc... but I wanted to share that Rotella is not what it was.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 04:20PM

Oils are constantly changing. Sometimes for performance, sometimes for cost. Rotella is certainly better than anything we had in the 60's, and easily available, and plenty sufficient for our needs. Personally I'd choose Chevron over Shell, as in general they put more into most oils I analyze, whereas Shell meets the minimum in most cases.

The problem with many decisions based on analysis of the oil is that used, when there are too many variables that affect it. I can get real good results and make maintenance programs with fleets of 10 to 50 vehicles of the same brand, engine, etc. Then within that group I set the bar and we try for the best practices of the best samples.

BTW: I changed my oil last week (after 18 months/2000 miles) and will be sending it in with the next box of oil samples. But I have my own brand.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.