Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: My New Fan!!
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 06, 2019 09:13PM

I think the vacuum method could work pretty darned slick, particularly if the there was a spring opposing the vacuum line... engine off, no vacuum, door opens wide open, engine starts, vacuum pulls the door shut. Spring is adjusted for part open at 15-12"hg, and is wide open at say 7", which would be plenty safe. Your vacuum may vary!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 06, 2019 09:39PM

63turbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the vacuum method could work pretty darned slick, particularly if the there was a spring opposing the vacuum line... engine off, no vacuum, door opens wide open, engine starts, vacuum pulls the door shut. Spring is adjusted for part open at 15-12"hg, and is wide open at say 7", which would be plenty safe. Your vacuum may vary!!

I can see pros thumbs up & cons thumbs down about this.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: November 06, 2019 10:07PM

If you're thinking of mounting vacuum actuators inside the lower shrouds, it may be hard to find any that can take the heat. But a cooler area might be to mount a commonly available actuator to the topside of the door boxes with a short rod going down to a lever on the outside of the door ?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 08, 2019 08:21PM

Brizo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're thinking of mounting vacuum actuators inside the lower shrouds, it may be hard to find any that can take the heat. But a cooler area might be to mount a commonly available actuator to the topside of the door boxes with a short rod going down to a lever on the outside of the door ?

If trying the vacuum actuator technique, they should be on the outside somewhere, both to survive the heat better and also to keep the actuation consistent... a hot actuator and its spring wont respond the same way as when cold. Might end up working better and be more reliable to simply use "wax motors", as these are common, well tested and are very reliable, and don't need a computer. I'm thinking about trying out the wax motor method for driving hinged summer winter plates. Right now I have them off, and the warm up is excellent, and the heads get to the nearly the same temps I see in the summer time, and definitely seems to go into closed loop quicker.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.